Author Topic: Which food would you feed?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
Which food would you feed?
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
Hi,

I just thought i'd ask what food do you all feed your cockers? Mine are on Fish4Dogs but they really dont seem keen, to the point they wont eat for quite a while. They are 11 years, two are 6 and 1 is just 10 months old. I'm looking for something reasonably priced, dry food preferably as I dont have the freezer space for raw

TIA

xxx
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Which food would you feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Hi

It's hard to recommend dog food as what's good for one dog may not suit another. I don't know if you have seen the all about dog food website but it's good to check the quality of the ingredients, daily feeding cost and also to help search for your preferences.

I feed Reese on orijen kibble ( because i like to put in a brain training toy in the morning to keep him busy while I get ready)  and luna & me or nutriment in the evening. I have been happy with both Raw foods and the orijen but have been looking at different dry foods as wanted to buy something made in the UK, but I do really like the idea of the cold pressed foods (mostly made in Germany).
Anyway hope this helps to get you started  :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »
I have been much impressed with Canagans. Currently feeding a 50/50 mix of their kibble and tinned meat. Both Buster and Annie seem to enjoy it and 'output' is good to firm. Not the cheapest, but I am hoping that there will be compensatory savings at the vets.

It really is an individual choice though - both yours and the dog - as long as you steer clear of grain, animal and vegetable derivatives and sugar beet you won't go too far wrong. The 'All About Dog Food' site really is very good to get past the labels.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
I think you are going to have to meet their dietary requirements as individuals rather than a whole.  What will suit the 11 year old might be OK for the 6 year olds but it probably won't be enough for a 10 month old. :dunno:

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
We feed Millies Wolfheart. I've tried other makes but went back to Millies. It suits Ellie's tum and I don't think the price is too bad.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
Recently switched Blue from nutriment to natural instinct as he had started getting fussy and refusing food.  I think I am going back to nutriment though, he has had nasty loose poos with natural instinct. 
 I also give him either Orijen or Eden kibble occasionally, for convenience when travelling, and he tolerates both of these very well.  (He loves them too, more so than his raw food!)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:22 PM »
Ollie has dry but it has to have something mixed in....wonder if that will help with your Fish4Dogs.
I get Naturediet it is in a plastic type tray, they do a fish and a sensitive salmon one, Ollie has been great since I use this. It is £1.20 in some places, but a fantastic 80p in Wilkinson's or Wilko plus they will let you order and pick up. At first I stuck with the sensitive which is 60% salmon rice and veg, now I give him a choice of about 4.

Must admit I saw Fish4Dogs stuff at show, looks good stuff
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »
We use Canagan for our pup, 59.99 for 12kg bag

My aunt uses a food called more you get from pets corner for her spaniel

Offline AlanT

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
The stuff I read on here about feeding just amazes me. I'm trying to be polite here!

These are smart animals, with strong opinions. You can bet they get pretty fed up getting the same stuff every day.

This breed is hundreds of years old. I ask myself this. What kind of food did they get in the past.

Well they were kept for hunting birds. I expect that they would have got the bits of bird the hunters did not want.
And guess what, they do well on Chicken. Mine gets a raw wing once a week.

Rich hunters probably went fishing and maybe had fish-ponds. And mine does well on Salmon.

Same thing with Beef. But not so well on Pork which tends to reappear. But then pigs were kept by the poor.

One day a week or maybe two, we go vegetarian. The dog does too and this works out also. Especially if laced with chicken-juice.

We add 30-50% kibble and use Arden Grange Light, because I think he has a tendency to fat intolerance.

I keep away from manufactured meat products, these often come from China.
If I wouldn't eat it I don't want to feed it.

Weight, coat, energy, bowels are all perfect.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
What do you class as "manufactures meat products" Alan? In truth, unless you produce it yourself, its very difficult these days to know what's in our food, fresh or otherwise. Salmon often comes from fish farms and if we thought too much about what goes on there, we'd probably lose our appetites, chicken is often full of antibiotics and the conditions in which a lot of them are reared isn't always ideal,( even in Europe). Spaniels probably did eat more healthily 200 years ago but then so did we, no additives, pesticides, etc etc. Unfortunately its the world we and our dogs have to live in, with the best will in the world most of us have to make compromises and eat according to our means. Wild fish from clean streams and free range chickens who have been fed a natural diet, isn't within everyone's budget. I have chosen to feed Humphrey raw but my last two dogs ate dried or tinned manufactured foods and both lived until they were 15 with no dietry problems.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Oh that's easy. If I can tell what it is by looking at it.

A chicken, a fish a joint of Beef. mostly I am getting these from farmers I know.
VERSUS
Something in a packet with a list of ingredients and a dubious country of origin.

A carrot I chopped up, peas stuff like that I go for.

My mother used to ask the butcher for "lights". Nearest I get to this is chicken-livers. These are a big hit made into liver-cake. This is very easy.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
The stuff I read on here about feeding just amazes me. I'm trying to be polite here!

These are smart animals, with strong opinions. You can bet they get pretty fed up getting the same stuff every day.

This breed is hundreds of years old. I ask myself this. What kind of food did they get in the past.

Well they were kept for hunting birds. I expect that they would have got the bits of bird the hunters did not want.
And guess what, they do well on Chicken. Mine gets a raw wing once a week.

Rich hunters probably went fishing and maybe had fish-ponds. And mine does well on Salmon.

Same thing with Beef. But not so well on Pork which tends to reappear. But then pigs were kept by the poor.

One day a week or maybe two, we go vegetarian. The dog does too and this works out also. Especially if laced with chicken-juice.

We add 30-50% kibble and use Arden Grange Light, because I think he has a tendency to fat intolerance.

I keep away from manufactured meat products, these often come from China.
If I wouldn't eat it I don't want to feed it.

Weight, coat, energy, bowels are all perfect.

All the recommendations above are 5* dog food, I think that any would be fine (obviously they need to suit that certain dog)

I really don't know what amazes you so much? There have been sensible ideas.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
Well here is my four pence worth.

When young worked in a vets......apologies to any farmers, but what they buy drug wise and what the animals are given shocked me, told Mum didn't want to drink milk anymore, then Dad said knowing farmers he didn't think they'd spend money on anything unless needed.... :005:

As for salmon farming - given dye for red colour otherwise it has very light pink shade that people wouldn't buy.
One unanswered thought is how yellow eggs have become from supermarket...now deep yellow yolks like eggs from the farm!! How do they achieve that I wonder!!!!
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.
One thing I do know is that there are as many opinions on dog food as there are dog owners!
You just have to find what's right for your own dog and your own circumstances.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.
One thing I do know is that there are as many opinions on dog food as there are dog owners!
You just have to find what's right for your own dog and your own circumstances.

Yup, nothing amazing to me about any of the previous replies here.  :dunno:
Whatever suits your dog, your budget and your own personal views on feeding is the right food.

To the OP, have you considered adding a little wet food to their kibble? It might make it more appealing to them. There are lots of good quality ones and quite a few that are made of fish (naturediet, wainwrights, forthglade all do salmon variety) which wouldn't be too much of a change for your pooches.