Author Topic: Has anyone tried Valerian tablets for anxious dogs?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Has anyone tried Valerian tablets for anxious dogs?
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »
Hi All,

Ernest is suffering with anxiety/fear/resource aggression, only toward my other dog, Monty, and only ever in the house. Out of the house he is as good as gold with all other dogs/people and even Monty.

He seems to be unable to relax around Monty at home and wondered if anyone had tried the Dorwest scullcap and valerian tablets? I’d just like him to feel a little less anxious and a little more relaxed at home.

We have a behaviourist coming out on Thursday but am finding this all very stressful so willing to do anything I can.

Thanks

Offline Mundyboy

Re: Has anyone tried Valerian tablets for anxious dogs?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:54:17 PM »
I have not tried these tablets.  I would be inclined to put my hopes in the dog behaviourist. To my mind the tablets are a short term fix but the basic problem remains.  When my Little Sophie joined my gang Jenni had issues with her being in the cottage.  My vet recommended I crate Sophie until such a time as Jenni accepted her.  I did this and in a matter of weeks there was a mutual acceptance.  Even now, many years later, Jenni has an open fronted, covered ‘bomb shelter’ to go to when she is not comfortable with a situation (fireworks etc) and Sophie goes under the spare bed to hide from visiting children.  I would hold back on the tablets for the time being.  Good luck.
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline ScruffersMamabear

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
I am going to try them with our boy as he has epilepsy & anxiety comes as part of the package. I am trying skullcap & valerian. There is also valerian compound x

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
I tried them with my over anxious springer. They completely knocked her out, made her dopier than usual.   I disposed of them.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Just been reading on Dorwest...wondering if would help Ollie.....he can be a handful -yet after 9 and half years you somehow get through.....but sometimes he goes into melt down.  Um and no T Touch doesn't do a thing :shades:

Take fireworks can take him a walk and he can hear them and nothing...yet door bell rings and wham.  We turn volume down when the door bell rings on Four in a Bed :lol2:

Worse is work men doing anything - I can't control him, yet if OH home will lie under his desk no problem.

Worth a try and then would only use if an event was on the cards.

Hope you sort something for little Ernest.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed