Author Topic: Skinny boy  (Read 2576 times)

Offline goldenwonder

Skinny boy
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
Hi
Our boy is now three and a half and is a typical happy cocker (small show type), full of beans and always up to mischief.  He’s always been pretty skinny, though.  We thought he might put on a few pounds after being castrated last year.  This weight gain has never happened and he remains around the 10kg mark, and you can definitely feel his ribs, even though he’s also eating nearly double the recommended quantity, a good quality dry food and vegetable scraps on top.  Living on a small holding he does get to run free for around 3 hours a day, he always has energy to spare.  At the moment his scavenging has intensified he’s been eating lambs tails (not attached to the lambs), and this evening my husband caught him eating slugs, which for obvious reasons is a definite no-no. 

I know that spaniels like all gun dogs have an insatiable appetite and for disgusting things, does anyone else here struggle to keep the weight on their dog? Should we be too concerned, is he being typical of his breed or genuinely ravenous?

Thanks

Offline PennyB

Re: Skinny boy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:56 AM »
My show type was hard to keep weight on (he was neutered at 8 months old) and to be honest as long as your dog is healthy there shouldn't be a problem but worth getting vet advice if you have any concerns

If he is eating slugs - some do just because they are there (mine will eat anything till they burst) - I would be worried re lungworm - mine are wormed once a month now as lungworm is a killer
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »
My older two will eat till they explode, whereas one-year old Mason is a slow, deliberate eater. However, they all put weight on very easily and we have to be careful or they get fat.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
Ollie is a rescue at 7 mth old he is now 10 years old and weighs mid 10 kilo mark.

When we first got him his  scavenging was dreadful, about the third day - a classic tale was the disappearing frozen pork chops - took the pack out of freezer, when I returned couldn't find them anywhere, later the pack minus chops were found behind the sofa - within a couple of days we saw why....and the vet felt he had not been wormed as a puppy should. lt put me of spaghetti forr years :shades:

One young vet commented that she had never seen such a small cocker, and that is just what he is.  He has always had a good appietite, and the please sir I want more fits the name Oliver.  He is just your typical happy cocker who hasn't grown up yet :005:

As Penny B said I would check with the vet next time you are in there. Just to check on things, but there are some cockers who are small.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline juju

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »
Izzy (WCS) is now almost 6 and I always had trouble getting any weight on her. I tried various good quality kibbles over the years to no avail. She was being fed twice the recommended amount and was still skinny. I even tried a couple of good quality complete raw foods but still had to double the recommended amount of food. She has been fed Millies Wolfheart for the last few years which I was very pleased with (apart from the skinniness). Eventually I phoned M.W. and was advised to try her on Peak Performance which had a slightly higher meat fat content. The difference was soon noticeable. I have been able to reduce the amount I was feeding each day. Izzy appears to be in very good condition and loves her food. After about 6 months I have now got her on M.W. Riverside which think has slightly less fat. I haven't weighed her lately but I would guess she has put on a couple of pounds or so.

Offline goldenwonder

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
Thanks all for taking the time to respond.  I think I will be dreaming of frozen pork chops and spaghetti tonight, thanks Jaysmumagain :005:

We took Leo to the vets this afternoon for his booster, he really hates going to the vets.  Anyway, he weighed in at 9.5 kilos and the vet thinks he’s in perfect shape.  Pity the same can’t be said for his manners. JuJu we have him on Millie’s gun dog, it seems like good food and the nutritional advice is really helpful.

Thanks again everyone, including David Morgan and PennyB

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
There you go just a happy cocker, glad the vet has put your mind at ease.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed