Author Topic: Chicken Wings - Stupid question  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Niki

• Site Member
Chicken Wings - Stupid question
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
I've been following a few of the barf type threads with interest - and though I'm perfectly happy feeding mine on their dried food, I'm certainly keen to help their teeth out !! So, I've just bought some chicken wings and they're about to have their first taste !!
My stupid question is .. if we ate raw chicken, wouldn't we get salmonella ? Why don't dogs ???:huh:
And I'm plannig on freezing the rest, I'm assuming I just defrost thoroughly before giving them one next week some time ?
 :D

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Chicken Wings - Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:20:35 PM »
We don't digest things as quickly as dogs, the wings have a shorter distance to travel when a dog eats them, so they are much less likely to get salmanella if at all. It is quite rare in dogs as far as I know ( but will stand corrected on that if its not the case!!!).

Penel

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »
One a week probably won't be enough to keep their teeth clean.  When they are used to eating them it takes about 5 seconds if that, which won't keep teeth clean.
Re the salmonella - dogs can digest bones, they have very strong stomach acid - completely different to ours.  They lick their bums and don't get sick remember  ;) 

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
And ... my oldest is 7 years old .. is the first taste of real meat in his life liable to upset his stomach, do you think ??

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »
Well, varying degrees of success !! Both immediately took them from their bowls and went to opposite ends of the room .. Puppy looked at hers for some time, occassionally glancing over at the other dog to see what he was doing we his, then she chowed down pretty happily and it was gone within a few minutes. The older dog however licked at his a bit, had a vague chew, and then just laid next to it looking somewhat disappointed !!  :lol:

Penel

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:45:49 PM »
Some do take a while to "get it".  Tilly was 2 when she had her first chicken wings and she was fine straight away, but Saffy took a couple of days to "get it".  Some dogs need them warmed up in warm water first, or you can flash fry- literally just seal the outer skin in a very hot frying pan to get the juices and smells going a bit !  this doesn't cook the meat just changes the smell slightly - enough to tempt the dog into eating it.
Mine don't eat their bones from bowls, I just hand it to them and they go to their various mats (little squares of vet bed) to eat them.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
When I started to feed BARF Max was about 1.5yrs and it took him 50 minutes to eat his wings.  ::)  And that was with me holding them for him, after he just licked them in his bowl for ages and then gave up and just laid down looking at them.  ::)  Now, 5 months on, he's eating them within two or three minutes out of his bowl.
So bare with him, he'll get there! You could try what I did and hold them for him to begin with.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »
Mine scoff their chicken wings down in a flash.  As soon as they got used to them they started to eat them faster and faster.  The only things I can get them to take their time over atm is a pigs trotter as well as their usually meaty bone.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
To start with Domino looked at his chicken wing, sniffed it, licked it & then finally after about 5 minutes managed to eat it .Now it takes him less than 2 minutes to eat 2 wings in quick succession.

Spike can get 2 down in less than a minute!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »
Spike can get 2 down in less than a minute!! ;)

Impressive  :shades: billy only ever has one at a time & I'd say he eats that in under a minute, not sure if he'd do two in under a minute, will test him tomorrow  :005:

Offline ruby

• Site Member
  • ruby
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 07:08:22 PM »
im really interested in giving ruby chicken wings,partly because she is having so much trouble with her anal glands and so many infections in them ph34r iv read that by giving her this it will bulk her poos out if this is right  :-\ but what really worries me about giving them to her is the small bones i know this sounds silly but could she choke  :huh: also im feeding her jwb so how many a week would she need?  sorry to take the thread but i didnt want to post about this as well :D

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
im really interested in giving ruby chicken wings,partly because she is having so much trouble with her anal glands and so many infections in them ph34r iv read that by giving her this it will bulk her poos out if this is right  :-\

When we first got Daisy - a rescue at the age of 7 months ish - she was having awful problems with her anal glands - she had to have them emptied 3 times in as many months  :'(  Needless to say she HATED it and I wasnt too impressed either.  That, and her obvious dislike of biscuit based food made me change to BARF.  She is now 3 years old and has never had an issue with her glands since  :D  The bone in the poo helps to make it firmer so that when they go to the loo the glands are gently squeezed from the inside as the poo passes and therefore the glands never fill up and get infected.

but what really worries me about giving them to her is the small bones i know this sounds silly but could she choke  :huh:

Its not silly to ask no - but as long as the bones are raw they are fine - NEVER feed cooked bones - the cooking process dries the bones out and makes them shatter so leaves sharp bits that the dogs can choke on.  Raw bones are actually quite soft and pliable so can be chewed by the dog - helps keep their teeth clean too  ;)

also im feeding her jwb so how many a week would she need?  sorry to take the thread but i didnt want to post about this as well :D

I reckon if you replace one or two evening meals a week with 2 or 3 wings (depending how big they are) and see how she gets on  ;)  Just dont be surprised if she turns her nose up at biscuit the next day  :lol:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
Sorry I've got a question too  :shades:

I was told recently not to feed working cocker chicken wings so I asked why  the rep;y I got I can sort of understand, but would like your opinions................................ because it encourages their taste for birds

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »
Sorry I've got a question too  :shades:

I was told recently not to feed working cocker chicken wings so I asked why  :huh:  the reply I got I can sort of understand, but would like your opinions................................ because in encourages their taste for birds
My opinion?

Twaddle! Do your dogs chase sheep now you feed them lamb bones ::) ?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »
Thanks   ;)