Author Topic: BARF related may be of some interest to some of you.  (Read 2301 times)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
BARF related may be of some interest to some of you.
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »
Just been to PAH and in the freezers they had "natures menu nuggets" Lamb nuggets and Chicken, tripe, and heart nuggets, basically raw mince with the veggies in it and I think rice in the lamb ones.

Anyhoo the question is often asked on here how much meat should you give your BARF fed dog, well these nuggets may help ;) It tells you on the back how many nuggets to give your dog in a 24 period, so that could be one meal or split between two ;)

For example 45 nuggets :o :o for an extra large dog which is equivalent to 750g

Or in the case of a meduim sized cocker 25 nuggets equivalent to 400g :blink:

Penel

Re: BARF related may be of some interest to some of you.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »
Don't really fancy counting the nuggets  :lol:
So is it basically the Natures Menu frozen mince, made into nuggets ? sounds like it...

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
Don't really fancy counting the nuggets  :lol:
So is it basically the Natures Menu frozen mince, made into nuggets ? sounds like it...

yep!!!

thought it might be useful for people who like to weigh or who are starting BARF and are anxious about getting amounts right :blink:

;) :shades:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
So does this mean you can do barf by feeding them just these?

Billy LOVES raw meat, but I've been put off barf as it's too fidly for me  :005: plus I don't usually let Billy have bones, but this would be ideal.

God I sound lazy  ph34r

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
I saw these in my local PAH the other day and me being me I bought some of the chicken ones to see what they're like. Alfie seems to like them ok but they were quite expensive and as Alfie had almost half the bag for one meal it won't last too long. He needed more than the guidelines on the back of the bag as well.

Jan I wouldn't just feed this without raw meaty bones and other things as well, it actually says on the packet that it's a complementary food rather than a complete one  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
I saw these in my local PAH the other day and me being me I bought some of the chicken ones to see what they're like. Alfie seems to like them ok but they were quite expensive and as Alfie had almost half the bag for one meal it won't last too long. He needed more than the guidelines on the back of the bag as well.

Jan I wouldn't just feed this without raw meaty bones and other things as well, it actually says on the packet that it's a complementary food rather than a complete one  ;)

ah right, thanks  ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »

Have to admit I got a bag too just for research :005: :005: But my two needed slightly less than the recommended amount, but I agree a bag doesn't go far.

I can see how the would be an easy way to start for a BARF newbie, because essentially it's all there for you apart from the bones :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »

I can see how the would be an easy way to start for a BARF newbie, because essentially it's all there for you apart from the bones :blink:

Yeah it's definitely a lot easier, no pureeing veg and faffing around with ice cube trays and bagging up portions of mince!  :D  Bit too expensive for me with my supersized worker though  ::)

Penel

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »
I would have thought there is bone content ?  there is in the AMP blocks anyway... will have to check that out now...

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 08:33:48 PM »
I would have thought there is bone content ?  there is in the AMP blocks anyway... will have to check that out now...

No there isn't any bone content, not from what I can see on the bag I have here anyway.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:39:31 PM »
Sounds good but tbh I am not to strict on my BARF'ing, I just analyse their poo to see if I have the right mix of bone, meat and veg ph34r - if it comes out of their bottoms and in a nice firm easy fashion then I carry on with what I am feeding :005:.  It's probably an expensive way of feeding raw but good to start off on.  I will probably get some and give them a go.

I wonder how long it will be before it catches on that BARF is getting more and more common and butchers start charging more for bones and pet food companies start getting in on the act? - don't mean to be negative but I get free bones atm from a butcher and raw feeding for me is a lot cheaper than a good dry dog food.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »

I wonder how long it will be before it catches on that BARF is getting more and more common and butchers start charging more for bones and pet food companies start getting in on the act? - don't mean to be negative but I get free bones atm from a butcher and raw feeding for me is a lot cheaper than a good dry dog food.

Oh how lucky are you! I know quite a few COL BARFers are in the same position too, but round herethere just doesn't seem to be enough butchers that actual do butcher rather than buy it in already done.  Therefore no waste, so no freebies.  :-\

The only ribs I can get are pork and I have to buy those, which are the most costly part. At the moment feed BARF is costing me about £5 more a week than dry food for four dogs. I don't have a problem with that.

Tonight someone at training told me that she knew of somewhere to get everything for BARF and they delivered it. So I'll see what this is when she sends me the link. I don't mind doing the BARF but getting it all from one place would.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »

Can you send me some bones, Miche? We already have to pay for ours  ;)  Market forces at work, I guess - raw feeding is not uncommon here :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »
I don't really know what you call what i'm feeding my dogs HAHAHAHAHAHA
My cocker eats 2 packets of mince (amp or Prize choice)a day with 1 tsps of codliver oil and garlic also i have complete puppy food down 24 hours a day. Her poos are fine her coat is gleaming and she's happy.
So god knows what you call it