Author Topic: Bone advice, which one for Billy??  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Bone advice, which one for Billy??
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:27:17 PM »
Following on from the barf thread I am after some advice about bones for my boy :shades:

Billy absolutely loves bones & raw meat. My problem is when I have given him bones in the past he guarded them like mad, so I had to stop giving them to him. These days the highest value items he has are chicken wings & pigs ears. He is much much better with these now in that he never growls or guards them  when he is with me & will happily eat them, at my feet   :D  He doesn't relax totally, he's very very conscious of what we are doing whilst he is eating, but he's much much better than he used to be.

So... I was thinking about stepping it up slightly by trying him with a small bone. Please feel free to tell me if you think I am mad,  but he's much better with the wings & ears these days so I thought why not try a bit further especially as I know he will adore it.

So, I need a raw bone that can be eaten fairly quickly as if he does guard I can easily stay out of his way for an hour but don't want to be avoiding him for the next 3 days IYSWIM.  Billy can demolish anything quickly, the most frozen Kong is gone in less than 10 minutes, pigs ears two minutes & chicken wings 30 seconds, if that! So which bones should I ask the butcher for?

What are your thoughts please  :shades:  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Bone advice, which one for Billy??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
Lamb ribs are good and can be consumed quickly - it might be best to avoid "recreational" bones such a marrowbone, at first, as they are supposed to last longer  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »
I agree ribs ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
Yes, pork or lamb ribs or maybe a piece of oxtail are what I'd go with as well, although if you see Alfie in action they don't last much longer than the chicken wings  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Lamb necks cut into quarters, veal bones, mine eat the lot, also fish heads mine tend to also nibble at and eat slowly only problem with fish heads is that they do tend to smell a bit fishy around the ears and face :005: baby wipes takes a bit away. Just ask the butcher for any soft bones.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »
i'd go for the ribs or the oxtail. paddy got through an oxtail once in just a few minutes, he was so pleased when he was given it. he relished it for all of three or four minutes :D

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »
pigs trotter, mine love pigs trotters

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Penel

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
You know what Jan, I wouldn't give Billy a bone if I were you.  I really don't want to come on here and read that Billy's gone for you over a bone.... :-\

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »
You know what Jan, I wouldn't give Billy a bone if I were you.  I really don't want to come on here and read that Billy's gone for you over a bone.... :-\

Really? I did wonder if I was mad or whether it was worth giving it a go, that's why I thought one that he can eat quickly. He'd only go for me if I tried to take it, at least I think  :-\

Could this stir up his guarding tendencies again do you think ?

Penel

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »
Yes I think so, and I think it's just not worth it in Billy's case.
Maybe in a year or so if you've had no incidents...