Author Topic: royal canin  (Read 2194 times)

Offline hogan

• Site Member
royal canin
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:39:38 PM »
Just a quick question on food. Hogan is on Royal Canin junior/puppy and has always been, but has now seemed to lost interest in it. He has never been a dog to eat most or all of his food when put down, not like the springer cross i had when i was living at my mums. He is now 13 weeks old. and  today we mixed a very small amount of butchers tinned tripe and he got a little more interested, but still not finished. He is only on 3 meals a day, is it to early to cut it down to 2, as sometimes most of the food goes to waste or the cat sneaks a mouthful, and as Royal Canin is quite expensive and only supplied by one local pet shop, should I consider changing it. Thanks P and Hogan :D

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
Re: royal canin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »
Loi started loosing interest in his afternoon meal when he was 12 weeks old so we cut him down then. He is now 9 months and he is on 2 meals a day (although breakfast isl alot less than dinner) Tbh I didnt even consider price of food as a factor I just looked at how Loi was doing and went from there. Maybe you could look for an online supplier as you may find its alot cheaper that way.

Offline hogan

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »
Sorry, It may seem as if I was complaining about the price, but I did not mean that, as I have no idea how much other food is, and if hogan is happy he can have it whatever it costs, but my point was that its a waste of food, I think we might cut his meals down to two and see how he goes. thanks p and Hogan :D

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
Sorry didnt mean it to come across quite as it did. I have started to swithch Loki over to BARF he now gets 2-3 raw chicken wings for breakfast and a complete food for dinner. Maybe it would be worth looking into this for hogan.

Offline hogan

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
Thats ok, I have seen BARF mentioned a few times before, where can i get some info etc
P and Hogan.
Got to sign off now, but will check post tomorrow, Many thanks, Paul

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 07:33:07 AM »
Search the site there are loads of discussions on BARF  ;)

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Hi, Maisy was on Royal Canin but lost interest, she is now on James wellbeloved mixed with the sachets of puppy hi-life, half a sachet morning and evening mixed with the kibble and kibble on its own midday. She is doing well on it. :blink:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
Mine are all on Royal Canin, Adults and puppy. I have learnt to ignore them when they lose interest because if you change food they will lose interest in that one too after a period of time  ;)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
Mine are all on royal canin junior med breed and love it.
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:57:21 AM »
Sophie is on Royal Canin Adult & Kizzme is on the Puppy they love it too

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »
Lola was not interested in her Pedigree chum puppy food (hardly surprising) and was not a big eater either. So about 5 weeks about I changed her to JWB and put a spoonful of Natures Diet Puppy on top and she loves it.  I also started to put on some of the adult Natures Diet to make it more interesting for her.  Sometimes I give her sardines or grated cheese.  She loves all these and although we still have days when she doesn't eat very much, I think she is better for it.

Incidentally my vet said that I shouldn't cut out the third meal til shes about 10 months old and somebody else told me that your dog will tell you when they don't want the third meal anymore. 

So maybe somebody can advise on that?
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »
Go by what your dog 'tells' you sjp. Dogs all develop slightly differently like children.

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »
Do you soak the food? I ask as I have found all mine have gone through a funny stage when they decide they don't like soaked food anymore, so I start giving it them dry. Mine have Royal canin, it is a good food but I also mix cooked chicken, scrambled egg, sardines, tuna, lamb or cheese in with it to make it a bit different. Tia gets bored with the same thing for more than two meals, but my others would eat whatever you put infront of them!

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
I have never soaked the food.
Sally & Lola xxx