Author Topic: How Much to feed  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Owen

• Site Member
How Much to feed
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »
Hi, I have 2 Puppies that are 4 months and I am wondering if they are getting enough food.
They look healthy, not fat nor thin, but they want to eat all the time and are constantly sniffing around the kitchen looking for bits of food.
I feed them 3 times a day with 2ounces of Dry Complete Pedigree Puppy food. I will give an occasional treat and lots of water.
I have checked out the FAQ but that tells me to feed little bit 4 times a day for their age, but at what quantity I would like to know.
Thanks in advance for your help

Owen

http://picasaweb.google.com/hughowen/BaileyAndCoCo

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: How Much to feed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »
The bag should tell you how much to feed, its different for every brand of food. Each pup varies too as to how much they need which is why any guide is just that. Ultimately the only way to know if they are having too little, just right, or too much is by looking at them. If they are too fat cut back, too thin feed more and just right stay as you are.

What I would urge you to do is look at changing to a complete food that is natural. Unfortunately Pedigree is full of alot of rubbish. Try looking at Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange which are dry complete foods.  There are other natural dry foods too which are escaping me at the moment but I'm sure someone will post the names shortly.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
Completely agree with Sam, in fact just typed something very similar  :005:  A couple of other good quality dry foods are Nutro and Autarky, I would also definitely get them off the Pedigree asap, it really is pretty cr@p food  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline inga

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:52:49 AM »
Hi :-\
We have changed our dogs to Laughing Dog complete as it is baked it smells lovely and it is very crunchy so the dogs have to chew it and not just swallow it. The adult comes in 3 flavours Tripe, Lamb and Chicken and the puppy is Chicken. Hope this is of some help to you. :blink:

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »
Are you feeding them all together or from individual bowls? (ie seperated)

I have a few customers who feed pedigree & tesco´s own and there dogs seem to be fine but its not a food I would chosse to feed any of my dogs. You´re pups seem fine from the picture  :blink: As said it will tell you on the bag how much to feed. any concerns just give you´re vet a wee call.  ;)

Also are they on a worming program??

Cazzie

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
Owen

Agree with what has been said about taking them of Pedigree, it is full of additives and is really crap.  Do you know how much they weigh?  When Snoopy was a puppy I was always weighing him and checking on here to compare weights, etc.  I also took him to the vets every month to be weighed so that I could keep an eye on him as he doesn't tend to eat a lot at the best of times, unlike Rocky who will eat anything and everything. 

There are lots of information on here about feeding and weights, I would recommend that you do a search and have a read.
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo