Author Topic: Feeding! Are we doing the right thing??  (Read 1608 times)

Offline goughee

• Site Member
  • Poppy the Puppy
Feeding! Are we doing the right thing??
« on: May 13, 2007, 05:12:52 PM »
Poppy is 4 months old and is still on 3 meals a day, although she quite often leaves out her midday meal, we are feeding her on Beta puppy, although I will be changing this in the near future.

What does everyone else feed there puppies?

Do you give any left over food?

We do not feed her from the table, and she stays on her bed until we have finished eating? So does not beg. We would like to give her a variety.

Any suggestions would be gratefully acepted.

J M & Poppy

Offline karenelli

• Site Member
  • Lynwater Bracken Lass. aka "Rosie"
Re: Feeding! Are we doing the right thing??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »
Rosie is just over 5 months old and weighs 10kg she is fed on 200g of Burns mini bites split into 3 meals over the day.  I moisten it with warm water and she licks the plate clean at every meal, she just loves it.  Rosie also never begs for food but I occasionally give her a raw carrot as a treat because she loves them!! :lol:

Hope this helps

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
Sounds like you are doing right!  :D

She will probably cut out the 3rd meal on her own, if she is leaving it a lot you can probably do away with it.

I do give mine very small amounts of leftovers, for a puppy nothing too rich or fatty as it may cause diawotsit. Variety is good  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
For variety things like vegetables (except onions), fruit like apple or banana, raw or cooked mince, chicken, fish (sardines in tomato sauce usually go down very well), pasta or rice are all good and not too rich for puppies. Complete food is just that though - complete - so don't worry if that is all you are feeding and be wary of giving too much variety as this can make some dogs very fussy eaters.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:24:01 PM »
You sound like you are doing everything fine, I would not start feeding her any tip bits from the table, this can become a nasty habbit. Also if she does leave some food I would bin it and give fresh the next meal.  :blink:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
Jesse is 4 1/2 months old too and still on three meals. He doesn't always eat all of all three meals, but I'll keep him on this until about 6 months old.

Jesse was on CSJ CP27 (Puppy) and Puppy Nature Diet until 4 months old, then I changed him to the CSJ CP21 and normal Nature Diet. He is doing great.

Our dogs also get left overs mixed in with their food.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk