Author Topic: Am I feeding him enough?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
Am I feeding him enough?
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
I hope this doesn't seem stoopid, but I'm just after some advice ph34r. Toby will be 5 months next week and I feed him on JWB puppy. I've been giving him 250g a day, this is the reccomended amount for a medium dog, approximate adult weight of 12kg. I feed it between 2 meals because when he was on 3 meals he didn't seem to bother with his lunchtime one. Since changing to breakfast and tea time he seemed to be much better.

The only thing is he now seems hungry all the while and begs for food constently, or try's to sneak at the cat's food ::). He does get treats of gravy bones 2/3 times a day too.

Just wondering if there's anything I should be doing that I'm not. Feel like a bad mummy who is starving her baby :-\ :embarassed:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Am I feeding him enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »
Keep an eye on him over a weeks or so; if he seems to be losing weight, then increase his portions slightly; if he is gaining, then increase them  ;)

You should be able to feel his ribs when a slight pressure is applied.........all dogs are different, and remember the guidelines are just that  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:38:14 AM »
Thanks Rachel, Just don't want to over feed him and end up with a fat pooch :lol:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »
Maisy is the same age as Toby and on JWB Puppy.  We are feeding her 360 a day as she is only a little thing, the JWB website has guidelines and it says for the Cocker Breed you should feed between 300 and 490 a day.  if you go on the website http://www.wellbeloved.co.uk/ click on dog then turkey and rice, then along the top is links to the type of JWB and guidelines by breed

Hope this helps

Nina

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
Remember all measures and amounts are only guidelines, some pups/dogs will eat more, some less.

Some will not be hungry until later in the day some will happily eat 3 meals a day as opposed to 2.  It greatly depends on how active your pup is and his growing rate. At some stages of growth he will need more food than usual.

If he still appears hungry I would up his food amount myself, like with us some need more than others. (Me being one of them  :005: being very active  ;))

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 04:41:06 PM »
Thanks guys and thanks for the link Nina.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »
I am always afraid of feeding too much or too little  :blink: But this chart somehow makes me feel more relaxed.
It gets easier when he is older and his body does not change from day to day. My girl was always hungry when she was that age. I felt like I was starving her even when she was putting on weight, and clearly got enough food. The good thing is that you have a dog who is very eager to work for food  ;) training is more fun.

Offline Susie Q

• Site Member
  • My name is Susie and I am temporarily living in St
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks Mari for this useful chart:
Kiss was not interested in food until January aged 18 months and prior to her first real season .The first one was light and she had no sexual desire .Suddenly all the food bowls are her’s and she’s become food thief stealing all the French cheese off the table last night .We weighed her today and she’s really chubbed up at over 13 kilos. She’s slightly small and I think that she looks fat.I notice her tummy wobbling as she walks .Our neighbour asked me is she pregnant ?I’ve noticed that she can’t keep up with the other two , who run circles round her in the park . Bling is slimline despite a good appetite Ruby gains very slowly.Both Bling and Ruby really race up and down in the park and have endless energy . My dog expert and breeder have both said that they should be fed separately . As they graze it’s hard to do-but I try .As I have to watch my weight as I have back and thyroid problems . I ‘m back to an extra walk for her and me .And before she hits 14kilos I’m going to the vet for advice.