Author Topic: any one else problems with raw hides  (Read 1482 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
any one else problems with raw hides
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »
i have been up, literally , all night with Pepper. D he had a bit of an upset tummy and seemed just hyper. the only thing i can think of is that last night he spent the evening chewing his was through a rawhide ring i bought at Pets at home (i tried a stag bar but he's just not interested) and ate quite a lot of it. he hasn't had one for ages. any one else had a problem with these?

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Re: any one esle problems with raw hides
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
I used rawhide chews many years ago but when one of my spaniels nearly choked on one I stopped buying them.

When they have been chewed a bit they get very manky, mess up their ears, and soft strips can get stuck in the throat, there are plenty of alternatives out there, William has nylabones for a bit of hard chewing, and Stag Bar which is only available to him in my office so he doesn't get bored with it.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
William isn't interested in chews apart from the Antler Chews (different company from Stag Bar) that have been split along the length of them, making them easier to chew but still quite long lasting. Maybe Pepper would like them?

Louis likes rawhide chews but I only buy the ones made by Farm Food because they're definitely made from cow hide. I don't trust what the PAH and others are made of, especially as they're mostly imported from China ph34r

Louis is a careful chewer of rawhide and only gets small pieces off, but I never leave him unsupervised, I limit the time that I let him chew, I don't let him have a big drink of water immediately afterwards and I throw the chews away before they become small enough for him to chew without having to use his paws to hold them down. Despite all those precautions I'm still not entirely comfortable with him having rawhide, but when he's in anxious mode or is desperate for a walk and I can't take him out there and then a rawhide chew is one of the best things for calming him down.

Mine also have Fish4Dogs fish twists, but they only take about 30 seconds to crunch them up.

I hope Pepper is feeling better now :luv:

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
I used rawhide chews many years ago but when one of my spaniels nearly choked on one I stopped buying them.

When they have been chewed a bit they get very manky, mess up their ears, and soft strips can get stuck in the throat, there are plenty of alternatives out there, William has nylabones for a bit of hard chewing, and Stag Bar which is only available to him in my office so he doesn't get bored with it.

Yes I was going to say the same, had the same problem

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Pepper is a lot better today, slept all night! he was on a light diet of rice yeatsrday. i have thrown all the raw hides away!

Offline Honormum

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
We stopped giving our dogs rawhide after our Labrador started having epileptic fits - there is a link, apparently. :o

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
We stopped giving our dogs rawhide after our Labrador started having epileptic fits - there is a link, apparently. :o

That is worrying.Did your Lab stop having fits after stopping rawhide?
After googling for a while i can't find any proof of this,only anecdotal evidence  :-\

I don't give them to ruby anyway,or rather she doesn't like them!
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
I used to give them Bella which thankfully she went off them as I was getting fed up of the manky mess on my carpet and rug.
They get stag bars occasionally now.

Offline Honormum

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
We stopped giving her anything involving raw hide, and, touch wood, she hasn't had a fit since.

She's 11, nearly 12 now and no health issues. :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »
Tried Odie with rawhides when he was younger, he puked all night so have avoided ever since.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Rowan was being sick and also having attacks of the scoots (TMI - sorry).  It took a few times but we made the connection with when she had a rawhide 'treat'. Since we stopped them she's never been effected again thankfully.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
One of my relations has a Labrador puppy who suddenly started being sick which was totally out of character for him.
It turned out every time he had been sick he'd been eating his chew just before.

The chews went in the bin and he hasn't been sick since. :D

Offline beanbag

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
My parents had the same thing with they old lab. She would get a really upset tummy if she had a rawhide especially if it was a couple of days old.

Offline karen488

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
Have you tried empty cows hooves?

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
ooh im worrying now, sandon loves rawhides and I admit they arent good ones, just ones in a pack from the local shop but then he loves pizzles, cow hooves, pigs ears, socks....teabags accidentally dropped on the floor >:(
The only thing he DOESNT eat are his two flipping antler bars I got him!!! grrrrr expensive too!!!
He does like a bit of paddywack though....should I cut out the rawhide....is it only the rawhide which is dangerous...definately not getting anymore