Author Topic: Breed specific food  (Read 641 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Breed specific food
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
I can understand certain dog foods being aimed specifically for a "working dog" or dogs with sensitive tums but can someone enlighten me as to why there are breed specific dog foods?

A friend of mine buys Royal Canin mini Schnauzer food which says

"minature schnauzer 25 Breed specific product, especially for the minature schnauzer. Designed to take account of all the special characteristics of the breed".

I know s'zers are prone to pancreatitus but what "special characteristics" set them apart from any other breed that they need their own food.  :huh:

Good marketing  or am i missing something.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Breed specific food
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
Good marketing IMO ph34r

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
Agree with Elaine TBH, think it's a bit of a swizz  ph34r I can understand that giant breeds perhaps have different requirements to toy breeds, but each individual breed needing a different food??

Actually, i'd be interested to look up the ingredients of a couple of them, to see if there are any obvious differences. But i am too lazy at the moment  :005:

I like working dog food as it is VAT free :)

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Just had a google and Royal Canin do MANY breed specific foods  :P

Need to look up ingredients but my internet connection is like treacle at the moment  >:(
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Just think it's a marketing ploy
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
I just looked at a few of them and the ingredients in all of them look a bit rubbish so i wouldn't feed it.

I also saw this on one of them:
'Healthy urinary tract: A raised sodium content means your Schnauzer will drink more and thin down the urine to lower the concentration of mineral salts, which can lead to urinary stones '

Is that right? Or am i look at it from a human perspective where high salt levels = not very good?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
The list of ingredients is huuuge,and i am so shocked to see one of them is Taurine  :o but i'm going off my own subject  :lol2:

I just looked at a few of them and the ingredients in all of them look a bit rubbish so i wouldn't feed it.

I also saw this on one of them:
'Healthy urinary tract: A raised sodium content means your Schnauzer will drink more and thin down the urine to lower the concentration of mineral salts, which can lead to urinary stones '

Is that right? Or am i look at it from a human perspective where high salt levels = not very good?

I agree with you,high salt levels for human or animal can't be good.

I did tell my friend breed specific food is a load of bow loakes,but i know she's not convinced  :016:

Offline flower1

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
Apparently there's no visible difference than the standard food. We've had experience of pancreatitus with cockers being prone as well so we just keep the fat content of everything Toby has under 10% where possible instead of buying into a fad. He's never had it but I'm not prepared to just wait and see. He puts on weight easily anyway so better off for him anyway.
Lucy (28.5.1997-11.05.2010) & Toby (6.2.2010) :luv: