Author Topic: How old were you when you first owned a cocker?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Dan

How old were you when you first owned a cocker?
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
I'm just curious on this as I no a few people around me that were quite young like me I was only 21 when I got Brodie and alot of people have said to me it's good to see young people like my self taking up the responsibility of a dog and doing a good job I felt good about this so would just like to no how old were you when you first got a cocker!?

Offline kellyamina

Re: How old were you when you first owned a cocker?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
I had always wanted a dog from being very small, but my mum wouldnt allow it :-( So as soon as I got my own flat, when I was 18 I got one.
I had originally wanted a springer as a friend of mine had one and I loved him....but ended up finding a breeder who had cockers ready to go.
I got Sonny, my first cocker, and my first dog, blue roan show type, who lived till 16 and was my everything.  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Does this answer you question

This is where it all started for me and where I  gained my love of spaniels. Frisky  wasn't even my dog, but spent most of his time in our kitchen, and was my constant companion as a small boy circa 1950.

It was another twenty-seven years  before I fulfilled my desire to own a spaniel.

Ben was our first (3rd from left) followed by Zak (2nd from left) our wonderful Teddy (left) and of course gorgeous George (on the right)

Moving on thirty five years and we now have young William to grace our lives, and it all started with a small boy, and the next door neighbours dog.

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
56  :005:  We have always had dogs, both when I was a child and when we married, but Nerys is our first cocker ~ we only took her on as she failed as a gun dog and our staffie Will liked her, we knew very little about cockers. 

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
We had a miniature poodle when growing up and she was beautiful, but I'd always had a eye for cockers  after seeing a lovely golden one with full feathering when I was young and I remember thinking that's the dog for me. When our poodle died I was 14 and my mum came home with an 8 wk old cocker / retriever cross and she just confirmed my love for those little cockers. I took her with me when I married  and when she died I got my first pedigree cocker, a blue roan called Bonnie and I think I was 25 at the time. I've never since been without one. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
I was 32. I'd wanted a dog, either a Cocker or something of a similar size and nature, for a very long time, but it just wasn't practical in terms of either family or work commitments until then. I didn't want to get a dog and then leave it home alone all day, so waited until it was possible to have one and only leave it part of the day for a few days every week.

Offline Deblk

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
I wanted a Cocker back in 1993 as a good friend of mine had one and I thought he was adorable. Was not to be at that time because my ex husband and I saw a beautiful Great Dane puppy playing in a field whilst we were playing golf one day and both decided that was what we wanted. 3 Great Danes later I finally got my dream dog at the age of 55 last year. Don't get me wrong I adored all my Danes especially Leda my last one who helped me through a very difficult 2 years and sadly died October 2010 which has left a hole in my heart and always will as I feel if it were not for her I might not be here now. I said then I would not have another dog but in March 2011 there were these Cockers for sale just down the road so of course had to go and have a look. Well, bad mistake as I cam home with one....only joking. It was the best thing I could have done as it has helped me with the loss of Leda and I adore him to bits.

My friend and I always giggle about this as I had said to her that I was going to get a Cocker and ended up with a Great Dane, slightly different lol
Catch you later :)

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »
I was 22 when I got my first cocker Henry - Gorgeous crazy Blue Roan.  :luv: The following year I got his brother Jack, they both lived until they were 14 and 15.  They seen me through many relationships, ups and downs and were everything to me.  I loved them with all my heart and I miss them!  :'(

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
56 :005:  Had a black labrador as a child, and then a rescue xlab when I was about 27. I had never met a cocker until my sons girlfriends family got a blue roan called Millie. We looked after her from a very young age on several occasions and that was it, I was smitten.  :luv: So, last year when I decided to leave my job it seemed the perfect time to get one, and got my precious Rosie. Sadly, she was killed in a road accident at 8months. One month later, I got Honey and already planning on getting another one!!!! :shades:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
After growing up with and then owning bull terriers (and a border terrier) we came by chance on a cocker. We  got into beating and  started thinking about gun dogs. Looking into all breeds but  never making the commitment. It was  (excuse) a size issue. I believe fate sent gemma to us. A teeny weeny cocker. Now I say,bring them on, don't care about size, colour, or loonly level.
Ps  at the grand age of 51.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
I was broght up with a lovely golden cocker called Topsy ,when i finally got my first golden Jenny and talking to her breeder she comes from the same line as Topsy did I lost my poor Jenny but now have Penny who mother is Jennys sister Oh I wished I had had this lovelly breed years ago I was 51 but oh didnt like dogs but Jenny and Penny stole his heart
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
44.  I had Irish and English Setters first, before I fell in love with Cockers.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
First cocker- aged 43, although I felt like I was 93 after a few weeks of having Jem  >:( :lol2: ;) !

When OH and I got our first dog, Cassie, I was 23 so we all grew up together and she will always be very precious to us.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
I was 18 when my family got Tilly  :luv:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
I'm 24 now, and hubby and I got Molly last year when I was 23, just after our wedding  :D
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013