Author Topic: How old were you when you first owned a cocker?  (Read 4785 times)

Offline theshrew

Re: How old were you when you first owned a cocker?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
I was 30 when i got Missy and 33 when i got Candy

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
I think I was about 9 so strictly speaking my Mum & Dad got Snoopy, a golden Cocker.  I got my own, a blue roan, when I was 20 & I bred from Misty & I kept a little girl, Jezzie.  I got my fourth, Molly a black girl last year.
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline MrsOmalley

• Donator
  • Bella and Millie born 01/10/2012
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
I was 28 when we got our first cocker, a beautiful golden girl called Cindy.  She had two litters of pups, we wanted to keep a female pup but decided not to keep the only Girl from the first litter as we had two other dogs as well at that time.  When she had her second litter they were all boys so she had decided we were not keeping one of her pups.  Cindy was 15 years old when she died.  We now have our two gorgeous blue roan girls who are 21 weeks old.

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »
My grandparents had 2 black labs until I was 2 years old, I then got a staffy/jack russell mix puppy at the age of 3, she was PTS last year the day before we had arranged to see Ozzie, and we got Ozzie who is my first cocker last year when I was 17 :luv:

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
Got my first ever cocker (and my first ever dog) when I was 50.  She was the absolute love of my life, and started my passion for this special, special breed of dog.

Here's Lily.  Her breeder is Michele from here on COL, so not only did I have a beautiful dog for 10 years, but also the ongoing support of this lovely, committed lady.

Lily is on the right with my other little girl Freya.  Both now at Rainbow bridge. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
Got my first ever cocker (and my first ever dog) when I was 50.  She was the absolute love of my life, and started my passion for this special, special breed of dog.

Here's Lily.  Her breeder is Michele from here on COL, so not only did I have a beautiful dog for 10 years, but also the ongoing support of this lovely, committed lady.

Lily is on the right with my other little girl Freya.  Both now at Rainbow bridge. X

Love your 1st 2 girls so much Maureen  :luv: :luv: It makes me wish i could have met them too  :003:

My grandparents had a cocker....as I spent all my time with my Nan and Grandad I consider Dylan the golden cocker to be my first cocker  :luv: :luv:

I never met my Grandad on the other side of my family as he died just before I was born but when I was helping my Nan sort out some pics she found one of him and sat next to him was a cocker  :luv:

I got my first cocker of my very own when I was 24...Lucy  :luv: :luv:

Looks like a love of cockers runs through both sides of my family  :luv: :luv:

:luv: :luv:  Yes it must be in the gene's Jen  :luv: :luv:
I remember a photo of a little black cocker whom my Nan owned (but i sadly never met :'(), it always stuck in my mind.  :shades:  We now have a little black cocker too  :luv:  Possibly a distant relative of my Nan's ey  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
Have loved reading this post, has made me smile  :luv:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
I was 30 (something) when I got Fred but I have been owned by cockers since I was 5 years old and my dad brought one home this golden budle of ears and paws, I have had many other breeds over the years but cannot imagine my life now without a cocker (or two)...
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline revis

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
I had our first cocker a little rescue when I was 9 she was going to be put to sleep. Oppie followed Vicky. Then got married and had  2 labs. We always lived abroad and moved a lot but always took the rescued dogs with us. In Jordan in the eighties we rescued Watson he had been really badly treated.He came back here to 6 months quarantine and died having an anaesthetic before an op. after that we had Calum Roddy Brodie and now dear Maggie all rescues.

Offline Uli

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
I was 11, when I got Tina for Christmas 1975. I bought Jeannie when I was 23, Petra and Zaschka when I was 31 and Paula when I was 44. ;)
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
I loved our neighbour's orange roan cocker spaniel,  Seamus, when I was ten. We had various crossbreed rescues and two pedigree poodles when I was growing up. My first job was at a vet's where a mistreated 6 week old crossbreed puppy with a broken leg had been dumped. The vets couldn't bring themselves to put her to sleep so we nursed her better and I took her home - my orphan Annie  :luv:
I still yearned for a cocker spaniel and after my husband and I got engaged (I was 26) we got a gorgeous golden cocker spaniel of our own, Rusty. Rusty was well travelled and moved around South Africa and then to England with us. She reached a grand old age of 15 and now we have the gorgeous Miss Molly an orange roan who looks just like my neighbour's cocker from all those years ago! We are now discussing when it would be best to give Molly a litle brother (a cocker obviously!)  :005:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
I was five or six years old, he was a black cocker called laddie, he had a white flash down his chest, he was my best friend.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
My 5th birthday present (1961) was poodle puppy called Toots (named after a character in the Bunty comic, for anyone who remembers it).  She came from Manchester and was put on a train at Piccadilly Station in a cardboard box and my sister, who is 8 years older than me, walked the 2 miles to the local station to collect her and carried her the 2 miles back.  You did things like that in those days.

Toots died of cancer when I was about 12 years old and then about a year later my best friend, who lived next door, got a black cocker spaniel puppy.  She was called Lulu and was gorgeous.  I was desperate for a golden cocker spaniel puppy but was adamently told no, there were no more dogs coming into the house.  My father died very suddenly of a heart attack 2 days before my 15th birthday and, I think to take my mind off things, my mother asked me if I still wanted a golden cocker spaniel.  Did I!  So along came Dylan, the most gorgeous cocker puppy you could imagine.

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
30!!!!!!!
this iS A GREAT POST BTW !

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
OH and I got our first cocker, Cindy, a lemon and white girl, when I was 24. That was around 1979. She lived till she was about 14, then we went 18 years without a dog until we got Clover in 2011.
To know them is to love them.....