Author Topic: Cocker Spaniel, Children and rehoming.  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Cocker Spaniel, Children and rehoming.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, kind words and advice.

There's no need to apologise for people being blunt, however it doesn't help the situation being keyboard warriors!

Thanks for the link at Harewood, that looks a good idea.

I agree that a dog is for life. If he is rehomed, it will be via a reputable means - Gumtree was a bad idea and i acknowledge that.

All being said, at least i have sought advice from people in the know, rather than just selling to the highest offer.

What i may lack in common sense/forethought - i can make up for in morals.

Poppsie - It wont let me reply to your message (or even read it?!)

Kriss, no worries now you have said that your boy is a working strain that is all I needed to know  ;)

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Krisleeds, Not been on here for a few days so was delighted to read that you are thinking more about giving it a go!! Well done you! 
I've got 4 dogs and 4 kids.  My dogs range from 1yr old to 11yrs and my kids are 12, 10, 8 and 4 so we have had babies/puppies growing up together.
One thing I was told from my midwife was, get the dogs sorted before the baby arrives.  My 3 dogs slept in our bedroom and I did everything with them, that all changed before baby 1 arrived.  All dogs sleep downstairs now in the kitchen and we found a nearby forrestry trail that saved my life when the babies were small.  It meant I could chuck the dogs in the car and baby in the seat and drive to the walk, open the boot and let them run.  Sometimes, I just took a ball and chucked it about to tire them out and stayed at the car with the baby.  I also bought a second hand off-road pram.  BEST BUY EVER!!lol  We used that pram to death and when it died we bought another and another and another!!lol  We would have the baby in the pram, a toddler hanging off the handle at the back and a puppy in the shopping basket all to get the big dogs out!hehe.  I miss those silly, crazy days!!  Get baby involved(obviously a bit young).  Enjoy your baby in the pram and use it to get long walks in to give your wife a break and get the dog out! You will be hubby of the year! My OH would take the baby and dogs out and let me get a sleep or a bath in peace and I've never loved him more for those little hours back in the beginning.
Get either a dog gate or crate.  Their is no need for your dog to meet EVERY visitor that comes to your house.  I will say kitchen if the door goes and close our babygate so the dogs can't rush to the door, let the visitor in and maybe after a time, I might open the gate and let them through.  My MIL is unwell so I never let them meet her, they just stay in the kitchen, it's not the end of the world and I don't get stressed.
Give your dog focus.  My worker will do anything for a ball.  I started in the house, hiding the ball or rolling it about and getting a bit of return then we took it outside.  Now I can control all 4 dogs without a leash with just a ball and a wait command.  Means you will have easier control if he has focus and you will be able to give him a great run to tire him out just chucking the ball around.  Training isn't about going to classes or even getting a 1-2-1 trainer, it's about finding the key to controlling your dog and using that around what you NEED him to do.  Our pets only need to know a few command, sit, down, heel, stay, kitchen, out and leave.  Workers are much easier to pick up the training so a bit of time every day or so, you will reap the rewards and also have a much easier dog for your baby to grow up with.

Very best of luck.  And if you need any more advice about training dogs while raising babies, just ask.
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline Helly D

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
I was going to add that you can get really tall gates that are made to keep dogs contained rather than children. If you google dog gates for house it come up with quite a few suppliers. Our kids were also brought up with dogs. Dogs were there before the kids and I walked them all together. It was hard juggling it all at times but it can be done. Good luck.

Offline krisleeds

• Limited Member
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Its going pretty well and he's a lot calmer around people recently - he's also really good around the baby - sniffs a bit, but has acclimatised to him :)

I'm up at 5:30-6 now to take him for a walk before i bike to work now too (may as well as the baby is awake for a feed :) ) and then take him for a walk after work.

He's still quite giddy and can be a drain at times, but we're putting in the effort and hopefully it'll pay off!

Now - if i could only stop him leaving 'presents' every morning......    ph34r

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
Oh well done you for persevering.  It's not an easy time.......baby and dog combination (sleep deprived and all that).

He'll stop leaving presents eventally, too.

Good luck with it all.  Looking forward to reading lots more in the future.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
Hey Kris,
good on you for giving it
a go....you clearly aren't a quitter! :blink:
No advice re presents but someone will be
along to help...
maybe more info needed.. what time is
last feed? and what time is last opportunity
for going out?
steffxxx

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
Well done for the effort you are putting in.

I agree with Steff, it maybe worth looking at feed times to see if you can alter them to stop your nightly gifts! Not what you need right now I'm sure. Maybe feed him earlier, then a quick walk, might get things 'moving' before bed.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Great update. Glad things are looking better.  :clapping: :clapping:
As well as feeding times what food are you giving him? I seem to remember reading on here that some foods can produce more output  :shades: so it might be worth having a read of some of the feeding threads to see if a change of food might help on the "pressie" front.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »
Good news that things are going better :D

Agree with Archie bean that it might be worth thinking of changing his food. It might also help to take him for a late evening 10 minute walk to see if that encourages him to go before bedtime and not during the night.