Author Topic: Hypothetical Corona virus question  (Read 4126 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Hypothetical Corona virus question
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Vets are reducing down too re numbers of staff but they do need your custom as clients are staying away too and those that aren't are giving staff their germs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
I have a difficult situation too...OH thinks MIL  should get a small dog to help with the isolation she will feel over coming months...she is 78 and active, she has always said she would like a dog but honestly if she could get out of the house she would and rightly or wrongly I would be concerned if I was doing a placement viewing. Plus how can rescues work other than on emergency situations at present, sad times for those who are on the front line and want to help

There is so much more to having a dog and not sure he fully gets it - he was a bit but out when I said her age would go against her.  Lovely house and caring lady, small enclosed garden and she loves Ollie and he loves her ......but!!  One of those ideas I hope fade soon.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Its really not the right time to be introducing a new dog at the moment for anyone at any age. All rescues are on lockdown except for the odd emergency (we had to take in 4 lurcher puppies)

However, age shouldn't be an issue once things open up more - I rehomed George my 7 year old foster who was a golden doodle to a lovely active 83 year old man (his wife was disabled but he had extra help to walk dog if he ever needed it) - he was active and had back up (something we look for for re older end) but if there's an older dog in need why shouldn't an older person be able to rehome them. As a rescue while we tend to stick to not rehoming to families with under 5s (we do occasionally but its done very carefully), we look at things on an individual basis
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
If You are isolating and cant go out look up volunteers, your local council should have a list of volunteer groups near you.....here in our village there are a whole load of us on a contact list that was delivered to everyone in the parish and quite a few of us dog walk.We take our own leads and have as little contact as possible with the owners.Cant stroke or cuddle the dogs but I talk to them and take a few treats if thats ok with the owner.So far luckily its only been for a few days at a time.But I would take in a dog if urgently needed and sort out what would happen to it when this is all over if possible.

Offline OffMyCocker

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
I took on my 2-year-old rescue Cocker just at the beginning of lockdown. It has been very hard work with the lockdown I must say! She's also very reactive, and doesn't like going outside when it rains... so today, for example, we've been inside all day (except for a few potty breaks in the garden). She sleeps a lot anyway, so I think she's fine, but we've been doing lots of little training drills, kongs, stuffed balls, chew toys, puzzle games, scent work... she'll still happily doze constantly so I think we are tiring her out, even without taking her for walks. So, while it does feel like being cooped up, it's possible to keep a dog entertained even if just stuck in the house/garden.