Author Topic: Differences between working and show cockers  (Read 9417 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
Differences between working and show cockers
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »
Could somebody explain the differences between a working cocker and a show cocker.  I am only asking because I was having a nosy on the kennel club website and noticed that Pringle's breeders had more puppies and they were advertising them as working cockers.  Now I know all dogs are individuals and have different personalities but Pringle is so unlike the 2 previous cockers we had.  She is a lot more lively, is always really 'busy' and is a terrible thief.  She pinches everything and really likes carrying things around in her mouth.  So I'd be interested to hear the differences both physically and characteristic.  Physically, I think she is quite small.  She is quite slim and athletic and weighs 11.5kg.  Thanks
Ann and Pringle

Offline ali

• Site Member
Re: Differences between working and show cockers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »
if you do a search on working cockers, you should find some really interesting threads. somewhere there is a pic showing working cockers alongside show-types.

as i understand it, after comparing my working cocker with all the show cockers that we meet- workers generally have slightly higher set, possibly shorter, ears (more like a springer spaniel), a smoother coat, and are built more athletically with longer bodies.

when barkley is next to a show type cocker, their heads are pretty much exactly the same shape but the difference in their ears is striking. also, barkley is nearly always bigger and faster. he is always mistaken for a springer spaniel (despite being almost entirely black) or a cross-breed. i have never met anyone who has guessed that he is a cocker spaniel and most people look sceptical when i tell them that he actually is! :)

if you can post a recent pic of pringle, i'm sure people here will be able to tell you what they reckon. also, if you have her pedigree, and lots of ftchs (field trial champion) appear then there are definite working lines.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Penel

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
Methinks Pringle is a working cocker  :005:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »
OK stupid question time..................Do working cockers generally need more exercise than show type - both mentally & physically?
I was ignorant to the fact before COL that there was a difference & I've seen such gorgeous choccy workers on here, I have to say I could be very very interested one day if I could ever persuade OH that 2 is no different to having 1.  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
my working girl, Annie is 18 months, she needs lots of stimulation and exercise where as my 10month old Teri, show-type, does not need as much exercise and sits quietly (most of the time!)
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
do you have any photos you can post of pringle?
some show cockers are just as energetic as working cockers.the coat is usually the easiest was to tell the difference.show types have beautiful long feathers and skirt.workers have a much shorter coat and shorter feathers.the tail on a show is docked shorter than a worker too.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
I'd say generally it is believed that working Cockers need lots of exerise and mental stimulation - Ruffy certainly does, he's off his onion at the best of times.

Vahri our other working Cocker, is the exception to the rule - she could easily be a couch potato - infact we thought all working Cockers would be like her, that's why we got Ruffy. As they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing  ::)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
Looking at Pringle's pedigree, she is a show cocker.  :D

Did her breeders have other dogs too? The new pups advertised may be from different parents.  :-\

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
I don't have a show type, but here's a piccie of my two working type - overall I say they look quite Springerish.

Penel

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »
.the tail on a show is docked shorter than a worker too.

unless of course like me, you have both types of cocker, with their natural long tails  :luv:

here's my two girls - Tilly show cocker is the orange and white with long locks, and Hattie is the liver and white, much more practical  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
I'd say generally it is believed that working Cockers need lots of exerise and mental stimulation - Ruffy certainly does, he's off his onion at the best of times.

Vahri our other working Cocker, is the exception to the rule - she could easily be a couch potato - infact we thought all working Cockers would be like her, that's why we got Ruffy. As they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing  ::)

I think these differences can be seen amongst all cocker spaniels - working and show strain  ;)  Many show strain cockers end up in rescue as their owners were under the misapprehension that they were "cute little lap dogs" when in effect some need as much, if not more stimulation than larger breeds  ;)

True working dogs will spend much of their time kennelled - they are not out all day every day; but I do think that a dog with proven working genetics will have higher intellect than "average" and so will need lots of mental stimulation to thrive  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »
I saw some puppy pictures of Pringle in an old thread, she looks like a blue roan show-type cocker to me.
Bailey and Mom

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
this pic isn't brill, but Harmy at the front was show and Dash is working behind. They are both the same age. Although Harmy was Petite.

then this one is of my 3 shows and Dash, so comparing George (black and white) with Dash is probably better

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »

Harvey a Show type cocker  :blink:

Penel

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »
I saw some puppy pictures of Pringle in an old thread, she looks like a blue roan show-type cocker to me.

I've just done a search too and agree she really looks like a show cocker - I wonder if she might be a mixture though ?  spose it depends on what the pedigree says ?  Saffy was a very different show cocker to Tilly - she was incredibly energetic, and miles more intelligent (sorry Tils) :luv: