Author Topic: Would you .....? and if so how?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Would you .....? and if so how?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea.  We brought my father's retriever to his funeral.  Not macabre or sad because it was a wonderful celebration of a lovely man and a generous life well-lived .  Anyway, his dog wore my pa's football scarf (West Ham but you can't win 'em all).  We also had someone talking about my father's pockets always being full of sweets for the village youngsters (only ones whose parents knew and respected him, I hasten to add) and his dog carried a basket of sweets round each of the pews for people to have a last choccie in memory of my dad.  It just made the whole thing.  There wasn't a single criticism, even from those who were not particularly dog-minded and the vicar thought it was such a good idea that she's written into her will that she wants her dog there too.  :blink:

That brough a tear to my eye, what a lovely thing to do.  :luv:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea.  We brought my father's retriever to his funeral.  Not macabre or sad because it was a wonderful celebration of a lovely man and a generous life well-lived .  Anyway, his dog wore my pa's football scarf (West Ham but you can't win 'em all).  We also had someone talking about my father's pockets always being full of sweets for the village youngsters (only ones whose parents knew and respected him, I hasten to add) and his dog carried a basket of sweets round each of the pews for people to have a last choccie in memory of my dad.  It just made the whole thing.  There wasn't a single criticism, even from those who were not particularly dog-minded and the vicar thought it was such a good idea that she's written into her will that she wants her dog there too.  :blink:

That brough a tear to my eye, what a lovely thing to do.  :luv:

Thanks very much, Shonajoy.  Nice to know someone else doesn't think I was nuts.  :-* Funnily enough, I'm convinced it helped the poor old dog stop grieving, too.  He was certainly so much happier having spent a whole day with everyone telling him what a clever boy he was!  :blink: :blink:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »
When we got married, we didn't have our dogs yet... but if we got married now... yep, we'd have all four there for sure!  :luv:  :005:

And I like the idea of the dog carrying a basket with the rings. You might want to look into clicker training to teach him that. Shouldn't be that hard.

Re dressing up... a nice wide velvet collar for example would be nice.  :luv:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:54:06 AM »

What a lovely story
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 02:48:03 PM »
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »
I carried a silk pouch when I got married instead of flowers so maybe Loki could carry something like that with the ring inside.

I don't have my silk pouch anymore because my dog at the time ate it :005:
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 03:49:39 PM »
If I went through it again I would certainly have my dogs (or Meg at least) involved.  Meg already carries videos, dvd's or post upstairs to my OH  :luv:

If your venue will allow it I would certainly go for it and the guests will remember it far more.  Don't worry about the ones that are scared, sit them further away  ;)

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 04:07:51 PM »
If Loki likes carrying things (and you fancy a risk-free day) why not just get someone close to lead him up the aisle with a basket handle in his mouth when the vicar/registrar calls for the rings?  Then just ask him to sit when he reaches the 'line-up' so the person on the other end of the lead can stand face-on to him, take out the ring cushion, thank him and hand it over. If you keep him out of sight at the beginning, everyone will look towards the entrance when the movement starts and it will have a real 'Ahhhhhh' factor, particularly if Loki is wearing his posh bowtie. I think simple is best as you'll probably have enough to worry about in the hours before without having to run through your display routine while one person is attempting to paint your nails and another is trying to get the flowers in your hair.  :005: :005:  And there will be less challenge for Loki if he gets stage-fright or wedding nerves.  :005:

Good luck and let us know all about it.  It makes me go all gooey just thinking about it.  :shades:

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 04:47:01 PM »
Well I have had loads of training tips and even an offer of help from a woman who comes to the gym I work in (she has 2 welsh spaniels and used to breed a few years ago) and she has told me if I dont need any help she wants to come to see it anyway  :D we are off to see the vicar tonight and I will ask him if its allowed. I cant see it being a problem as he is a dog person aswell  :blink:

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
Only just seen this thread.  Great idea, I would love to have my Muppet at my wedding but that maynot be in her lifetime!

Love penels ideas about velvet mats and retrieving the rings.

Good luck with the training!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline madondogs

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »
beautiful idea  :luv: :luv:

I wish I had my dog at my wedding - however I have since divorced and getting married again in July - am keen to take my two bundle of trouble to the wedding!!!  :005:

MAYHEM is a word that springs to mind but hey - worth it!

Heidi

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 11:15:27 PM »
If the vicar looks doubtful, just remind him about St Francis.  We can take our dogs into normal church services here as long as they sing in tune  :005: :005:

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »
Yay the vicar didnt even pause before saying 'of course' so on with the training  :D
Apparently he know a couple of vicars and a bishop who take their dogs to every service, he did add 'he is house trained though' as an after thought but other than that no problem.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
I think it's a fab idea! Me and my OH are having our civil partnership ceremony in June and Bella and Zorro are coming (plus uncle George). They're not allowed into the actual room where the wedding is but it's an old victorian conservatory so they'll be able to watch the proceedings and will of course be included in the photos!

Great idea to have Loki as the ring bearer - good luck! :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
Yay the vicar didnt even pause before saying 'of course' so on with the training  :D
Apparently he know a couple of vicars and a bishop who take their dogs to every service, he did add 'he is house trained though' as an after thought but other than that no problem.
Excellent man - a credit to his dog collar  :005: :005: