Author Topic: Would a cocker be the breed for me?  (Read 917 times)

Offline Cassie62

• Site Member
Would a cocker be the breed for me?
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »
Hi I'm so new to this site I haven't had chance to look around properly yet.
I've had dogs around me all my life, and as an adult have had several rescue dogs. The last one being a Springer.  He died last year and we miss him terribly.
My youngest child is 11 years old and has Asperger Syndrome.  His doctors have recommended that I get another dog for him, but not a springer as he has trouble understanding that two dogs of the same breed are not alike and have different temperments.
I live in a small semi rural village and my house backs onto fields, and beyond that is a newly planted forest area.  We have lots of mature woodlands, country parks and dog walking/exercising areas nearby.  I work from home so it would hardly ever be completely on its own. (Well only whilst I'm doing the weekly shop, at the dentist or doctors etc).  I miss the company of a dog on my walks.  ( I normally walk in fields or in woodlands for about an hour a day, would do more with doggie company).
We have no other pets (apart from goldfish) at the moment.
I would welcome any comments you have on our suitability for a cocker. 
Thank you
Cassie

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: Would a cocker be the breed for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »
I would say definately yes. They are a smashing breed so full of life and personality. Life is never ever boring with a cocker. My step son has AS and gets on great with my lot, although he is 21 now. I do know that quite a few people on col have kids with AS and it works for them. Good luck whatever you decide and welcome to col.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
From my limited experience of the breed, they are lovely dogs. I would guess based on the doctors comment, it would be important to perhaps get one of a different colour to your springer as I know that some people think our cocker is a small springer due to her colour.

I think a cocker would be very happy with a walk in the woods and you being at home all day.

I'm sure some more knowledgable people will come along, but good luck with your search. If you are interested in a rescue dog there is a section on the site with cockers looking for homes,

Emily
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »
my three year old grandson is special needs and our young working cocker is fantastic with him. cockers are great little dogs tho you may need to revise the hours walk to two when your dog is older :005:

Offline seaspirit

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »
My son has AS and Barney is becoming his best friend. I don't know what it is but Barney seems to sense that he has to be calm around my son. I have 5 children altogether and My son with AS spends a lot of time in his own company. Barney like to sit with him a lot of the time.

Offline Cassie62

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »
Well the kennel club and the local rescue centers all seem to agree that a cocker would be a good choice.

That was good advice about getting a different colour to our old springer - He was liver and white, so I'm thinking along the lines of a solid colour dog now. 

Do different colours of cockers have slightly different temperments?  I know this is the case for Labs.

Do I go for a show dog or a working dog?  Is there much of a difference?

My son wants a puppy, I've never had a puppy before, always gone for young rescue dogs.  (I know puppies do sometimes end up in rescue). 

If you were me, what would you do?

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
hanging my head in shame coz i would get a puppy. mainly because i think your son will interact better with a pup rather than a rescue. i feel horrid saying that but its how i feel. if you are all gonna shoot me then make it quick and painless please ;)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
My son has AS, he is nearly 14 and I have 2 cockers, one aged 7 the other 6 and I've had them both from puppies. I never had any issues ;) Josh has never thought two dogs that looked alike were alike. The diificulties come from the child not being able to understand the nuances of any given situation in my experience.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional