Author Topic: Would You Buy...??  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
Would You Buy...??
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
I have just been mooching through some free ads, and I wonder if anyone thinks like me when they see ads that are so spelt really badly. I mean, who on earth would buy a pup of someone who spells like this:

"cocker puppys for sale, mum & dad can be seen, all puppys breed in doors, vet cheeked, wormed ,kc,puppy packs,inshurred,& frountlined.i have blue roan blue tic & black with white bibs"

Am I the only one who would read it and think well it is certainly someone to steer clear of?  ph34r

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Would You Buy...??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
I have just been mooching through some free ads, and I wonder if anyone thinks like me when they see ads that are so spelt really badly. I mean, who on earth would buy a pup of someone who spells like this:

"cocker puppys for sale, mum & dad can be seen, all puppys breed in doors, vet cheeked, wormed ,kc,puppy packs,inshurred,& frountlined.i have blue roan blue tic & black with white bibs"

Am I the only one who would read it and think well it is certainly someone to steer clear of?  ph34r

I am astounded daily by the widespread lack of literacy skills - a lot of people (many I work with) would read that and not see any mistakes  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
Nope, I'd stay well clear too.  But who is responsible for the spelling. The owners or the publishers of the paper ?
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
I'm definately a spelling and grammar stickler! I hate reading things that have that many mistakes in them it's awful. To top it all off some people want the english language dummed down so that it's "easier" for children to learn, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but surely this is just going to make us all more stupid in the long run. I don't know any child who with perseverance can't learn, it's just pure laziness.

Personally I'm glad the paper didn't correct it lets me know to steer clear!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »
Nope, I'd stay well clear too.  But who is responsible for the spelling. The owners or the publishers of the paper ?

For adverts, the paper will publish the advert exactly as supplied - unless it was taken over the phone  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
That's awful, I suppose they may just be poor at english but know the breed and care for their dogs and puppies but I know I'd steer clear!
The Herbster!!

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
I'm definately a spelling and grammar stickler! I hate reading things that have that many mistakes in them it's awful. To top it all off some people want the english language dummed down so that it's "easier" for children to learn, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but surely this is just going to make us all more stupid in the long run. I don't know any child who with perseverance can't learn, it's just pure laziness.

Personally I'm glad the paper didn't correct it lets me know to steer clear!

DefinAtely!!  :lol:

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »
Well I know most of us aren't perfect where spelling and grammar is concerned, but I do hate it when nearly every word is incorrect!

The ad was on the Internet so it is definitely the "breeders" spelling which is bad... Very bad!

Tia, Melody and Abi

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 05:56:50 PM »
sorry, I couldnt resist it! 

I do know what you mean though, it drives me crackers too - and its SO prevalent these days, makes me wonder what kind of education our children are supposedly getting??

This ad was particularly bad though, maybe it was a non-English seller??  In which case, I suspect his English was better than my Russian/French/Punjabi etc.....  :lol:

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:59:08 PM »

This ad was particularly bad though, maybe it was a non-English seller??  In which case, I suspect his English was better than my Russian/French/Punjabi etc.....  :lol:

Hmmm well I will agree with that, I have no interest in any other language other than my own, but then I don't go to other countries even on holiday, so it doesn't matter!

Tia, Melody and Abi

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 06:34:34 PM »
The way people word adverts sometimes amazes me. Some body was advertising a dog in my local paper, and said "lovely dog etc etc genuine reason for GETTING RID OF" Why couldn't they have put , genuine reason for rehoming.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 06:45:38 PM »
I've seen the word 'breed' used instead of 'bred' before. They clearly have no idea about breeding anyway because the colours are described and spelt wrong and there's partis and solids in the litter, it's unlikely that the sire they own is a suitable match for the dam and there's no mention of whether they are show or working type.

I double checked my post incase there are any mistakes  :lol:.
Cayley.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
The 'black with white bib' description makes me think (fear) that they are working types, which would also explain having solids and partis in one litter. God love them, I hope they find homes which know what they are taking on  :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 06:58:16 PM »

I double checked my post incase there are any mistakes  :lol:.

LOL, I am sure nothing you could have put would be THAT bad!!!

One of my pet hates is people putting puppys instead of puppies >:(.... Or borrow when it should be  lend, or the other way around... Or brought instead of bought... I could go on!!

Still I suppose the posted could have put bread instead of breed or bred! LOL, that would be a good one!

Tia, Melody and Abi

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 06:59:12 PM »
Ive seen some like this too that say things like pedegree pappers and blue rhone etc!!!!!! Not much faith really!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x