Author Topic: Would this annoy you?  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Would this annoy you?
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
Off on a lovely walk with Jarvis this morning someone came over to me to say hello to Jarvis, (without asking may i add ::)) and she told me she'd always worked with dogs.

Then she told me "I trained mine too." I was a bit confused and didn't really know what she meant so i said "Yes, i train him." and she replied "well, you must stop him jumping up then." :o I was gobsmacked to be honest, mostly because he HADN'T! >:( I basically decided the conversation was over at that point and walked off, buy it really wound me up.

Not only did she come over and stroke Jarvis without asking, (which i wouldn't normally mind as long as people are nice about it) but she lectured me about something he didn't even do. :o >:( I'm happy to admit that he does jump up sometimes, but he didn't at her. Silly old cow. ph34r :lol:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Would this annoy you?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »
I think you were very refrained. I dont think I would have been as polite, well done though for keeping your cool. Some people are prats arnt they.  >:(

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
How's that for rudeness? If she'd marched up to my friend's 13 year old cocker, he'd have taken her fingers off.  :o :-\

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:41:14 PM »
Glad you agree, i sometimes think i'm over reacting about things, but it took me ages to stop being in a huff. :005:

How's that for rudeness? If she'd marched up to my friend's 13 year old cocker, he'd have taken her fingers off.  :o :-\

Exactly, and you'd have thought someone so experienced with dogs gifted would have thought about that?! >:(

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:53:57 PM »
Gosh that would have infuriated me too. I sometimes feel people just speak for the sake of it.  >:(
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
I wonder if people like that hear themselves talking or if they just let the words fall out randomly  :huh: To answer your question, I would be annoyed. But also slightly amused, 'silly old cow'  :lol:

I met my neighbour the other day, he told how to work on my dogs fear of men. His solution was to physically drag the dog with me, and force her to stand next to him until she stopped barking. This from a man who just gave his german sheperd back to the breeder because she was 'insecure around people'. That is, she jumped the fence and herded people, barked at them and bullied their dogs. While he shouted and cursed at her from his window.  ::)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:22:06 PM »
That would defo annoy me but i'm a wimp and would probably have apologised to her! Same as what I do if someone bumps into me....

My dogs do jump up though....  ph34r

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Off on a lovely walk with Jarvis this morning someone came over to me to say hello to Jarvis, (without asking may i add ::)) and she told me she'd always worked with dogs.

Then she told me "I trained mine too." I was a bit confused and didn't really know what she meant so i said "Yes, i train him." and she replied "well, you must stop him jumping up then." :o I was gobsmacked to be honest, mostly because he HADN'T! >:(

It could be that she wasn't 'quite right' (to put it politely) and meant no harm :-\

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »

Then she told me "I trained mine too." I was a bit confused and didn't really know what she meant so i said "Yes, i train him." and she replied "well, you must stop him jumping up then." :o I was gobsmacked to be honest, mostly because he HADN'T! >:(

It could be that she wasn't 'quite right' (to put it politely) and meant no harm :-\

Possible, but she did seem completely together. I know it's not always easy to tell though. :-\

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
Would def annoy me but I'm not very confident in situations like that so knowing me would've ended up not saying anything.  Troy jumps up when we come home and it doesn't bother us even though others have commented it's bad behaviour but I figure as long as he doesn't do it to others then it's ok. 
Ignore the silly lady I say!!!!

PS Maybe her eyesight isn't fab and she thought she saw a dog jump up?  :005:
I'm always seeing things that aren't there if I don't wear my glasses when walking.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:19:06 AM »
Silly woman.  Blue would have jumped up regardless  ::)b

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:22:29 AM »
I would be very uncomfortable if a stranger approached me like that - I like my personal space and solitude when I am walking  ph34r
Of course, it's different if they have dogs with them too  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:35:17 AM »
Cheeky mare  >:(  That would have annoyed me too, but then I am a grumpy old woman these days and most things annoy me  ::)  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »
I would be very uncomfortable if a stranger approached me like that - I like my personal space and solitude when I am walking  ph34r
Of course, it's different if they have dogs with them too  :005:

Oh definitely, if people have dogs then i'm just as likely to go and say hello. :005: I also like to be left alone for the most part when walking, i do put up with it, as a cute cocker is a people magnet, (understandably! :luv:) but i much prefer when people ask if it's okay to stroke him. I've seen parents tell their kids to stroke him without asking if he's friendly and if it's okay first. ::)

Would def annoy me but I'm not very confident in situations like that so knowing me would've ended up not saying anything.  Troy jumps up when we come home and it doesn't bother us even though others have commented it's bad behaviour but I figure as long as he doesn't do it to others then it's ok. 
Ignore the silly lady I say!!!!

PS Maybe her eyesight isn't fab and she thought she saw a dog jump up?  :005:
I'm always seeing things that aren't there if I don't wear my glasses when walking.

I don't really consider it bad behaviour either. It's something i'd prefer he didn't do (he's a hefty 15kg boy) so he's only stroked when all 4 feet are on the floor but i'm certainly not going to tell him off for it, especially as he's never jumped up at a child. (They're closer to the floor, he doesn't need to! :lol:)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 04:36:47 PM »
I also like to be left alone for the most part when walking, i do put up with it, as a cute cocker is a people magnet, (understandably! :luv:) but i much prefer when people ask if it's okay to stroke him. I've seen parents tell their kids to stroke him without asking if he's friendly and if it's okay first. ::)

Funny, I rarely have that problem, but probably because my two usually look like this, which tends to put people off  :lol:

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club