Author Topic: Was she right to say No!  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« on: January 07, 2004, 12:36:07 PM »
My friend breeds cocker spaniels, yesterday she received an e-mail from a lady wanting 2 BOYS from her next planned litter, she also said she worked full time.

My friend replied saying that she does not allow her pups to go to homes where they work full time and that she certainly wouldn't let 2 boys from the same litter go together.

My question is, was she right in saying this as she had a quite abrupt replying from the lady in question, saying she had spoken to her vet who said it was fine to let dogs be left alone all day and that they need routine!

My friend said yes they do need routine, like being fed 4-5 times a day when 8 weeks old and being let out to do their business etc.....and leaving 2 cocker spaniels in all day alone, they would probably cause havoc!  She also suggested trying the cocker rescue places for an older dog which had been used to being left alone.

What do you all think??                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »
Hi Jenney

I would have done the same thing if I was in your friends shoes!                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 12:45:02 PM »
I think your friend probably made the right decision in the best interests of her pups. Taking on two pups at the same time is double the work, and probably a case of one step forward, two steps back in all aspects of training - but more importantly litter mates (indeed, pups of the same age, not only those from the same litter or even breed) brought up together in the same home are much more prone to develop an intense form of sibling rivalry that can result in fighting to the extent that one of the dogs has to be rehomed for both of their safety. We've had members on this board who have gone through this, and some who are experiencing it now :(  Of course it doesnt always happen, but best to err on the side of caution by far. So your friend should rest easy it was the reputable thing to do  :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 12:52:27 PM »
Hi Jenney

Most certainly YES your friend did make the right decision and definately not letting 2 litter brothers going to the same household :!:

A friend of mine without speaking to me first bought 2 litter brother Basset Hounds and boy did she have problems with them, with fighting etc.  She had to have one castrated in the end and I'm pleased to say that things have sorted themselves out now.  But she wished that she had spoken to me first and only bought 1 and then waited a 18/24 months and then decided about getting another one.

Good on your friend for sticking to her guns.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 12:55:55 PM »
I have a friend who has 2 gorgeous male cockers.  They are brothers from the same litter.  Lovely as they are, they are very much a handful when left for long periods, getting up to mischief and being destructive.  They were also extremely hard to toilet train and even though they are now 15 months old my friend can still come home to mess.  So far she hasn't suffered the problem of fighting that can break out between littermates.  

All the problems are due to her not being able to give them the time when they were younger to train them and to be consistent with it :?

Your friend has every right to refuse this lady and it's good that she is concerned for the welfare of her puppies :wink:

I was actually (rudely I felt) dismissed immediately by one breeder when I said that I could be out for a maximum of 4 hours.  Before I could explain that I worked 100yards round the corner and could come home whenever I liked she had put the phone down on me :shock: I felt shocked and upset and then angry at her rudeness.  Luckily, all the others I rang were more than helpful with the welfare of their puppies paramount.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 01:03:12 PM »
I know Paddy was a handful as a pup, I just couldn't imagine the mess 2 could make being left alone all day from 8 weeks of age!

My friend was very polite in her reply to the lady, she just explained that she wanted the best for her pups, but I think this lady didn't expect to be turned down!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 02:49:40 PM »
very much the right call imho - the prospective buyer was prob just trying to push it to put herself in the "right".                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 03:31:06 PM »
Absolutely the right decision by your breeder friend - there is no way I would sell 2 litter brothers together, let alone to a home where the owners are out all day :roll: If you're a breeder, you get used to requests like this & no matter how politely you explain why this is not a good idea, you will always get the odd one who takes offence.                    
Jane

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 07:14:58 PM »
Your breeder friend is absolutely right.  Sorry, but who in their right mind would have two puppies when they work full-time - which presumably means being out of the house for at least 8 hours?  How do they get toilet-trained, feed properly, etc., etc.  Even if you have someone coming in during the day, you, as the owner, are missing out on crucial training and bonding with the pups.

My guess is that the would-be owner thought that having two dogs would be company for each other when left for a long time.  This is true to an extent with older dogs, but does not work for puppies.  The mind boggles as to the damage that could be done by two pups left alone for that period of time, and the damage done to them by leaving them for that amount of time.                    

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 07:46:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll pass all your messages on to her, she'll be pleased to know you are all in agreement with her.  She is a really good breeder, thinks only of her dogs, quite rightly so too! :D                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
Yup she did the right thing unless your home all day and have lots and lots of exsp with cockers and know how they work its not a good idea , i think your freind did her a favour shed probably end up with no home left after they rip it apart. Im sure this lady will find  her 2 cocker males if she really wants thou. puppy farms.or even send someone else in to buy number 2 pup . its not that hard unfortunate for the pups thou as they will probably be rehomed :cry: mabe thats a good idea with someone so rude. :?:                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »
I have just read the initial post and really can't believe that someone would actually want to get one pup and leave it all day long, let alone two! How on earth would they be able to toilet train and feed 4-5 times a day at first? Why would they want to own a dog when they obviously haven't got the time to spend with it??  :shock:
My Mum breeds and shows Shih Tzu's and if anyone approaches her for a pup she always asks if the pup will be left for long periods of time on it's own due to work commitments. If yes, then sorry but no pup.
I have my own business. I run a fireplace showroom and do work full time. However, my little Maggie is here with me all day, running riot!!  :roll:
I dread to think what mess I would go home to if I left her alone.                    
* KEEP SMILING *

ziggy

Was she right to say No!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »
good for your friend,at least she cares about where the pups are going,,if more breeders where the same we would have less inmates in dogs homes,well done,,xx :wink:                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 11:04:21 PM »
I was talking to my friend tonight as her Dad bought her mum two Yorkie pups from the same litter last year for her birthday, both male. Apparently they have been a nightmare and she has found it impossible to train them, and she is retired and at home all the time. She has had to resort to a behaviourist now, who told her that taking on two small pups at the same time is rarely a good idea.                    

ziggy

Was she right to say No!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 11:14:42 PM »
it,s a pity your friend did not get the right advice from the breeder just goes to show money is more important to some breeders than the happiness of both dog and owner,,hope things work out,and they both get on better with a little help,,ziggy ,xx