Author Topic: PAT dog  (Read 4721 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
PAT dog
« on: February 14, 2004, 11:00:21 PM »
I am constantly being told how very laid back Blue is for a spaniel, and how he has such a lovely temprement, i was wondering how we would go about having him assessed as a PAT dog and what the requirements are?, he loves nothing better than a good cuddle and thrives on attention, i think Blue would absolutely love it :wink: and as i now have plenty of time on my hands i think it would be good for me too!

If anyone has any information on this i would very much appreciate it :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
PAT dog
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 11:10:11 PM »
Hi Maria

You can find all the info you need on the Pets As Therapy website at http://www.petsastherapy.org/

Good luck :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
PAT dog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 11:13:43 PM »
Maria,

I just read an article on PAT dogs today and sent off for an information pack as I think vegas would be suitable for it - and he loves the attention too :roll:    Good luck with Blue if you decide to go ahead :D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
PAT dog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 11:27:24 PM »
I hope you find the link Jane provided helpful.

Two dogs I have bred have gone on to become PAT dogs, both owned by the same dedicated person :)  I know they have a lovely time on their visits and bring such joy to the people they visit.
Go for it if you think you and Blue would enjoy it :wink:
Tracey                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline PennyB

PAT dog
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 11:55:24 PM »
I think you have to wait until they are about 9 months old (you have to have had them for at least 6 months). Wilf's laid back but I think I'll have to wait a while as he's turned into a naughty teenager for now until he settles down.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
PAT dog
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 12:10:20 AM »
:D Thank you all so much for your replies :D ,

The web site you recommended did supply me with everything i needed to know and from the information given hopefully Blue should be suitable  :wink: , i've just sent for my application pack but was informed that it could take up to two weeks before i receive it :( worth the wait though dont you think!! :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
PAT dog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 02:04:05 AM »
:D Hi Maria

Blue would certainly make an excellent PAT dog in my opinion anyway.  He is very well mannered and as you say soo laid back 8)   You go for it :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
PAT dog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 07:51:30 AM »
I know a lady who's cocker used to be a PAT dog - they both got an awful lot out of it - let alone the people they helped. Good luck, hope it works out :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
PAT dog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 12:45:27 PM »
Maria,

I just read an article on PAT dogs today and sent off for an information pack as I think vegas would be suitable for it - and he loves the attention too :roll:    Good luck with Blue if you decide to go ahead :D

:D good luck with Vegas too Gill. x :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
PAT dog
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 06:31:32 PM »
I've sent off too (was it "your dog" you saw it?), but for Millie my setter. It sounds like it would be great for the dogs as well as the patients.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
PAT dog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 07:13:50 PM »
I saw the advert in Your Dog too :wink:  Good luck with Millie :D  I know its something Vegas would love - just have to hope he passes his assessment :roll:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
PAT dog
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
When we had Sweep as well as Libby we were told not to apply for Libby to be a PAT dog as we had two dogs. The lady said that because we had two there's a sort of 'pack' system between the two thus making her unsuitable. Don't know if the rules are different now, this was about three years ago.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
PAT dog
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 11:31:46 PM »
That's odd Stuart - I used to know someone with a Rottie & several Pomeranians & all were PAT dogs (that was a few years ago) & I know Linda W goes PAT visiting with her Pippa & she is a multiple Cocker owner :lol: I'm sure Linda will be along later to confirm whether this "rule" exists or whether it was just someone being over zealous in your case :wink:                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

PAT dog
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »
Could it be an individual assessor and their bias. I know others who've had more than one dog to be successful.

Am curious to know what the woman meant by pack system. I would've have thought the dog would be assessed on their merits (and a health check from the vet).

I want to eventually put forward Wilf to be a PAT dog but not Ruby—Wilf is the more laid back of the two.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
PAT dog
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 10:39:03 AM »
Two of my dogs that I own and have bred are registered PAT dogs - Pippa and Daisy.  

I cannot understand why Stuart was not allowed to have a second one.  There are no rules that I am aware of about this.  It may depend on the establishment that you are visiting whether they will allow one handler with 2 dogs but there is nothing to prevent you having more than one PAT dog.  I plan to get more of mine registered when I have time.

I have been picked to attend the PAT dog parade at Crufts with one dog (they do say one dog and one handler for that event). I am taking Pippa as Daisy is on maternity leave!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!