Author Topic: Would she kill a rabbit?  (Read 5179 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Would she kill a rabbit?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
Both mine have caught squirrels - Bella let hers go unharmed (and has done this on more than one occasion) but Zorro killed both of those that he caught - one was an adult (half the size of him at the time as he was only 8 months old) and the other was a baby. Thankfully (though not for the poor squirrels) he despatched both of them very quickly with a sharp shake...  ph34r
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 03:16:22 PM »
Twix regularly chases rabbits on the farm where my OH has his yard, but is never fast enough to catch them. She almost got a rabbit with mixi but OH got there first and put it out of its misery. She gets a lot closer to baby rabbits but has not actually caught one yet. Not quite sure what she would do if she did, what with her being a bit of a princess  :005: but if they chase rabbits then you have to be prepared that they might catch one at some stage. Year ago, our family cocker Dylan caught a baby rabbit and had not killed it but had almost pulled its foot off. My brother despatched it while I bawled my eyes out!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 04:22:39 PM »
Any Sheffielders beware rabbits! On Wadsley /Loxley Common  theyve got myxamatosis and brave dog walkers have collected up dead ones to stop dogs getting them. The ill ones hop around slowly and can be blind, therefore easy for dogs.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »
My last cocker, Sophie, caught a baby rabbit once, well I should say caught up with a baby rabbit once.  When I got there the poor baby rabbit was frozen to the spot and Sophie was looking down on it wondering what to do.  I picked Sophie up and the rabbit hopped away.

I was talking to a couple a few weeks ago who walk a friend's springer twice a week whilst she works.  They were horrified when it killed a rabbit but they managed to get the rabbit off it.  Then they were even more horrified when it killed the next one because they just could not get the springer to let go of the rabbit.  They had to walk for more than 2 miles along a disused railway line which is now a bridleway with the springer with a dead rabbit hanging out of its mouth.  They said they had never seen so many people walking along as there were that day and they had a lot of not very nice comments made to them.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
Domino loves chasing rabbits if the opportunity presents itself but he's never been fast enough to get one!! ;)

Spike (lab) adores chasing rabbits; his whole life revolves around him trying to get one but sadly for him he's never been quick enough to get a healthy fit adult although he's certainly given a few rabbits some nasty moments!!! :005:

He's managed to get a couple of babies & dispatched them very quickly; also he's put a few myxi rabbits out of their misery.

..........they had to walk for more than 2 miles along a disused railway line which is now a bridleway with the springer with a dead rabbit hanging out of its mouth.  They said they had never seen so many people walking along as there were that day and they had a lot of not very nice comments made to them.

He frequently finds dead rabbits in varying stages of decomposition & proudly carries them around on our walks; I must admit I've never had anyone make a derogatory remark (I'd soon tell them their fortune if they did!!!   :005:)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
Coco often chases rabbits and never gets near the fit, healthy ones  :D  However, the other day she was chasing a baby that I think also had mixy so it wasn't very quick.  :'(  I had visions of her tearing it limb from limb or half killing it and me having to finish it off.  :o  In fact she just cornered it and sat barking at it wagging her tail frantically - I think she wanted it to play  ::)  I managed to pick it up and let it go where she couldn't find it - poor thing didn't look at all well though.  :-\
Julie and Watson