Author Topic: What a Cocker Spaniels (show type) like as a pet?  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: What a Cocker Spaniels (show type) like as a pet?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Smudge is my first cocker, but not my first dog, I can honestly say that when it is the right time I think my next dog will deffo be another cocker,  ;)I am hooked.........on their nature, the fun they have from being with you, the love and cuddles and his readiness to please.....and he is not too heavy to pick up an put in the bath tub should the need arise  >:D Yes he does get muddy, wet, cheeky and all the rest but when you have a dog (well most anyway) it comes with the territory. Don't get me wrong I love Suzie the B/C to bits but think another cocker would suit my situation better.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I shortlisted a number of breeds based on the "write-ups" of breeds that I researched......I chose a cocker not because I had personal experience, but because I thought the characteristics that the books described would suit our family.  The books were wrong; but none-the-less, we all manage to muddle along, most of the time  :005:

The behaviour the books describe that you highlight - well behaved, not overally vocal and is happy to be quiet indoors but energetic outdoors - is not behaviour naturally adopted by many dogs, they have to be taught how to behave in the way you expect; sadly, many dogs find themselves homeless because these breed profiles lead to unrealistic expectations  :-\ 

What the books don't tell you about cockers is how distinctive they are as a breed - most cocker owners can identify the bark of another cocker, and I have been approached many times by people who say things like "Oh, you've got a noisy, mucky, selectively deaf one, too"  :005:

Of course all dogs are different, but cockers have, in my experience, a number of very distinct characteristics, that are not shared to the same degree by other dogs  ;)  Of course, other breeds have their own characteristics too (we have a beagle in our agility class  :005:), but I think many people who have dog, but not cocker, experience, can be surprised at just how "different" cockers can be  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »
I shortlisted a number of breeds based on the "write-ups" of breeds that I researched......I chose a cocker not because I had personal experience, but because I thought the characteristics that the books described would suit our family.  The books were wrong; but none-the-less, we all manage to muddle along, most of the time  :005:

But I think that's the danger if you choose a breed purely by reading "write ups" in books or whatever. It's not the best way to choose a breed - you need to meet real life examples and talk to their owners. Fine to use "write ups" to get a rough idea of the breeds you're interested in but they're never enough on their own.

Of course all dogs are different, but cockers have, in my experience, a number of very distinct characteristics, that are not shared to the same degree by other dogs  ;) 

What would you say those distinct characteristics are, Rachel? And are those characteristics so distinct that you wouldn't find them in any other gundog breed?

Jane

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
Mad, loveable, waggy sock thieves sum my 2 girls up. Are fantastic with children, I have 3 one of whom is autistic. Meg comes to school where I work to meet the kids at every opportunity and loves it.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
Mad, loveable, waggy sock thieves sum my 2 girls up. Are fantastic with children, I have 3 one of whom is autistic. Meg comes to school where I work to meet the kids at every opportunity and loves it.

:D And I bet the kids love meeting her too :005: - such fun filled little maniacs do I mean the pooch or the kids here?? :angel:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »
We've had five cockers over the past 23yrs, and have never looked at another breed.  I think the reason we got our first (Katie #1) was because my dad liked the look of them to be honest, rather than what the breed was like.

Then we got Morgan & Dylan who are with my parents down the road, and me and my husband have Henry and Katie #2.

Each of our cockers have very different personalities, but I do agree with everyone who has said it is how you are with them and most of all, the time and effort you put into training - the same with all dogs I suppose. 

Good luck with whatever breed you choose, but please make sure you get a reputable breeder too
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »

The behaviour the books describe that you highlight - well behaved, not overally vocal and is happy to be quiet indoors but energetic outdoors - is not behaviour naturally adopted by many dogs, they have to be taught how to behave in the way you expect; sadly, many dogs find themselves homeless because these breed profiles lead to unrealistic expectations  :-\ 

Well I must be lucky then because that is more or less what my three are like.  They are well behaved (the majority of the time), extremely energetic outdoors, but very calm and well behaved when in the house, the only one I would have to disagree on is the not overly vocal bit, but that is my fault as I taught them to sing like a choir, which they do on command but they also stop on command too. (usually  :005: )  I wouldn't be without my cockers now, having had springers previously, these have much more 'character'.  :luv:  :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »

I think Cockers are pretty easy dogs to own - great family pets and ideal for the 1st time owner too. It just takes a sensible attitude - seek out a reputable breeder and put the work in early and you'll be rewarded - but the same goes for any breed. Jimmy was my 1st dog (apart from a childhood dog that I wasn't responsible for bringing up or training) - any problems I had were down to my own inexperience and mistakes, nothing to do with breed traits at all. If you've a good sense of humour then you'll have a whale of time with a Cocker. If you're an uptight control freak then perhaps they aren't the breed for you - but then again I suspect no other breed would be either. They do thrive on human company though and I think problems can arise if they are left alone for long periods - but again, that's hardly exclusive to Cockers.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - if Cockers were so difficult there wouldn't be so many of us that have added a second, a third or even more. There's loads of other breeds I love but Cockers will always come out tops for me.  :shades:   

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »

I think Cockers are pretty easy dogs to own - great family pets and ideal for the 1st time owner too. It just takes a sensible attitude - seek out a reputable breeder and put the work in early and you'll be rewarded - but the same goes for any breed. Jimmy was my 1st dog (apart from a childhood dog that I wasn't responsible for bringing up or training) - any problems I had were down to my own inexperience and mistakes, nothing to do with breed traits at all. If you've a good sense of humour then you'll have a whale of time with a Cocker. If you're an uptight control freak then perhaps they aren't the breed for you - but then again I suspect no other breed would be either. They do thrive on human company though and I think problems can arise if they are left alone for long periods - but again, that's hardly exclusive to Cockers.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - if Cockers were so difficult there wouldn't be so many of us that have added a second, a third or even more. There's loads of other breeds I love but Cockers will always come out tops for me.  :shades:   

Wot he said... if you're happy to have a dog in your life and all that entails then cockers are easy. Although, I have to disagree with Colin about eating them for pudding.. mine honks at the moment and is rather gritty so I really don't fancy that idea :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
Of course all dogs are different, but cockers have, in my experience, a number of very distinct characteristics, that are not shared to the same degree by other dogs  ;)

What would you say those distinct characteristics are, Rachel? And are those characteristics so distinct that you wouldn't find them in any other gundog breed?

Cocker hugs, whoo-whoo-whoo'ing, sock-obsession, and the bo'ingy zebedee thing they do through long grass  :005:

The best profile I have found for cockers is this one (apart from the Rage reference  ::)) - it describes my two perfectly  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
Welcome to COL.  From my experience with the Daxlet  :luv: (and he is our first cocker spaniel) I think their characteristics are probably somewhere between the text book description and the real life antics you hear about on here.  They have a vocal range to die for ... could do with a dictionary; they love life and are fullllll of beans (need pro plus!); they love to have a job to do, they like to be norty  :005: are affectionate, train their hooomons and are great to come home to after a long hard day.  I could go on  :005:

We wondered what had hit us for the first few weeks but have got to grips with the training side now and I really enjoy working with him - I can't imagine getting any other breed of dog now  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
Mine can be quite lively and full on at times but they have character, enthusiasm and personality - the merry cocker attitude which I love  :luv:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

:D Did mean the dogs are the loveable sock theives, although James does 'borrow' my plain black socks. >:D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
The best profile I have found for cockers is this one (apart from the Rage reference  ::)) - it describes my two perfectly  ;)

Yes it's fine as profiles go but I'm sure there are plenty of us who will read this and pick out traits that don't apply to their own dogs :D I was quite surprised to read that Cockers often chase joggers & cyclists as this isn't something I'd have associated with Cockers but more with herding breeds like Collies but maybe we've just been lucky :-\
Jane

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
Mine don't chase cyclists either... thank doG - we have loads of mountain bikers around here so it would be a nightmare if they did!  ph34r :005:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x