Author Topic: Huge Dilemma - Help Please  (Read 5213 times)

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Huge Dilemma - Help Please
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
As some you know Lenny went to stay with Sav for a few days to give me a break as he really is a nightmare plus I needed to take Meg to the vets and have some quality time with her as she seemed to be getting old.

Anyway, to my amazement the old Meg is back. She's lively, cheeky and just really really happy.  She comes to work every day which she absolutely loves too.  She really is behaving like she did when she was younger (just bumping into things occasionally, lol).

I now have a huge dilemma on my hands as to whether she truly is better as an "only dog". I've shed loads of tears over this the last couple of days feeling like I've let Meg down and making her unhappy.  Lenny just seems to be stressed all the time with me whereas with Sav he's a completely different dog.

Can I ask whether anyone on here has experienced a dog that's better off on its own?
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Huge Dilemma - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
I understand your dilemma and although I have not experienced your situation I do feel I had a cocker once who found it very difficult to accept our children and we would have been better getting her after having the children or maybe as a substitute for children. I wrestled with my conscience daily wondering if I was doing right by her.
Could you have a trial separation of say a month to see how things are just in case the new lease of life Meg is experiencing is purely coincidental to Lenny's little holiday.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »
Not exactly the same situation but I have experienced two dogs who couldn't live together and it's a horrible situation to be in. For me the deciding factor was when I did a trial separation for about 5 weeks and Alfie was a completely different dog to the one he'd become living with Rodaidh, they both relaxed and changed back to their 'old' happy selves. Only you really know your dogs and what is best for them, although I would agree with Karen's suggestion of having a longer trial separation, even if just to give you a bit more thinking time. Thinking of you :-*
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
No experience, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you - maybe a longer seperation would be a good idea, see how it progresses and take it from there  :-*
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
The problem is solved. Sav is going to take Lenny on permanently so I shall still get to see him and Jakey  :banana:

Meg is happier on her own and I think she now deserves to have me to herself again.

Sav - thank you I've been feeling sick trying to decide what to do.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
Glad to hear you have found a solution Louise and Sav - well done you for doing what is best for Meg  :luv:  And I hope it will work out for all of you - should be less stressful all round  :D  It must have been a hard decision to make but it sounds like you have done what you had to to make Meg's life better  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
I think that sounds like a perfect solution - Jakey obviously loves having Lenny around and Meg sounds like she's happy in her retirement by herself.  I'm glad it's all resolved  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
That's great, I'm really glad you've been able to get it sorted out so well and you can still see Lenny, sounds like a winning solution for everyone :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
Glad you have it sorted, you can really go out of your mind trying to decide what is best for your dogs - and still worry that yo have done it right - this looks very promising.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
Pleased you've both managed to work out the best for all of you. Heres to a few more years of Meg enjoying her retirement  :luv: and a housefull of boys being boys  :005:

Well done Sav, I knew you wouldn't say no if it came down to it  :D

Offline Sav

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
I just couldn't bear the thought of Lennie being re-homed & never seeing the little chap again & not knowing where or how he is.  :-\

I wouldn't have held out much hope for his future, as he can be really difficult to live with, as Louise can testify.  His previous 'owner' had thrown him out on the streets & he'd almost starved to death until the dog warden picked him up.  Even then he was nearly PTS & was on his final day due to a lack of kennel space, until we fostered him (and failed!).  He is allergic to virtually everything, has a really noisy bark & runs everywhere at 100MPH...

...and is constantly hurting himself & cutting his chest & paws.  I only had him back a day & he'd run into a concrete post while chasing his ball, tearing a small clump of fur from his head,  & last night he cut his nose on a thorn while retrieving the ball from a bush (he couldn't wait for me to get there! ::) ).

I used to hate his constant barking in the car, but that has stopped since he's come back & he seems really happy.  Jakey's pleased to have him to chase about too.  He's such a great little character & luckily both boys are well behaved for me. He's going to be fine. :D

Welcome home son!  :luv:
Just me & my two boys, Jakey & Lenny, the Patterdale Terrier.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
Welcome home son!  :luv:

Aw sav........you got me blubbing now  :'(  but for all the right reasons  :banana:

So pleased you & Louise have managed to sort everything out for your little family & come to a agreement that suits & brings happiness all round  :luv: :-*

big :bigarmhug: to you both xxx
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
 :luv:  Aw  what a fantastic happy ending   ;)

I'm so glad you were both able to work together Louise and Sav for the sake of Jake, Lenny and Meg  :-*

Offline maggieann

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
Brilliant ending. :luv:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
That's a lovely couple of piccies.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.