Author Topic: Would love to take on another cocker..  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
Re: Would love to take on another cocker..
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:22:43 AM »
Hi Chris, I hope you won't give up on getting a rescue.  It can seem like a palaver but all rescue outfits want is to get the right dog in the right home.

I too do a lot of homechecks and there's a lot goes into it and, as others have stated, a small garden with secure fencing wouldn't put me off.  It all depends on the age, temperament, etc., of the particular dog you want, and what you can offer it by way of time and commitment, as well as how much exercise outside the garden.  You sound like you'd be a great family.

I do the homechecks the same day or the day after the family choose the dog so he can go home asap, assuming he's already neutered, everyone's met him, a dog-to-dog's been done if they have a dog already, etc.  If they already have a dog or cat or rabbit I ask to see their vaccination certificates too.  I'd also rehome a dog to family that worked if they had a dogwalker or something in place - again it would depend on the dog, though it wouldn't be a young dog and it wouldn't be a working cocker.

We tried to get a dog from Many Tears 3 years ago and I must just have caught them at a bad time because I got no response after filling in the application form and no response to phone calls, so I think we just fell through the cracks somehow.  So we got Alfie via the Spaniel Trust and couldn't ask for better than him.

Good luck with the search.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »
Cockertime Blues Thank you for your post...

Reading through the lines (these rescues)they seen to be dead set on my female being spaded...Like i have said in an earlier post....Cindy is spade,Peggy is not but going to be soon,And gemma that is up to the breeder and that will not be for another two years...And if that's a no no she to will be spade...

But i don't see as to why they should be spade..

Its no more different than me going out and buying more dogs my self from any ware other than a rescue...That i do not wont to do i wont to help with a rescue...(if possible)

Any way thank you all for your so kind words of encouragement... :D

I will not give up giving up.....

My niese works for Streton(Burton branch of the  R.S.P.C.A )and she also does home checks(may be diferent i do not know)...I had my pussy from there ;)..(cat that is)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
Chris i know what you mean, to be honest i was a little annoyed that just because i wouldnt get Bailey neutered immediatley, they wouldnt even consider me even though ALL of my other dogs and the cat are done, also the bitch coming would have been spayed too, i do feel some of the rescues can be a bit too demanding after all i have to go out to work 5 hours a day mon to fri to earn money to buy the dogs treats and keep them in the luxury that they are used to  :005: :005: :005:, not all rescues are so strict so its worth enquiring at different ones
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline casstevens

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
To be honest I don't see a small garden being an issue.  I have 2 Golden Rets and 1 Cocker.  We have a medium garden but they only really mooch around in it and bask in the sun.  So long as it's secure and you can give the dog all the exercise it needs I would say it's ample.  Good luck - you sound like a lovey forever home and I hope you get your rescue soon.
Carol Stevens

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
When we were homechecked, our garden etc etc all passed but as soon as we had Heidi and she was entire at the time, it was a no-no even to fostering. 

Good luck though, I'm sure there are many rescues who do not have the rules although I understand that the rescues want to be sure the dog they are homing does not become part of a breeding machine

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
I'm heavily involved in rescue and do homechecking for prospective rehomers and foster carers.

The size of the garden isn't an issue really - I have a small yard (think Corrie type terrace + yard out the back) but its the height of the fence/walls that the rescues look at and to see if there are any gaps or places a dog could escape (Billy my last foster has been rehomed to someone who doesn't have a garden ;))

The neutering thing is that a fair few rescues are proactive about neutering for every dog per se.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
We don't insist on another pet in the home being neutered BUT the adopters will get a serious lecture on why bitches have fewer health risks if spayed and why it's preferable for males.  After all, rescues don't want to see unneutered animals running around creating more accidental puppies who will possibly need rescuing.  It's only happened to me once where the adopter wanted to possibly breed her bitch "because her friend had a lovely male and they'd like to have pups."  Aaargh. She changed her mind once she got the full spiel on the expense, health risks and pitfalls.  She just wasn't aware and was willing to learn and take advice, and it was a good home, so it went ahead.  If adopters were adamant about not neutering and there was no medical reason for not doing it, then you'd maybe start to wonder what they were up to and how suitable they were.  All the dogs rehomed from DGCR are neutered, or if too young for it, the owners are given a voucher for it at the vet and they're followed up on to make sure it's done.  I think this is how most rescues operate.

But as you say, you could go buy a pup and no conditions would apply.  I'm just glad so many people want to have a rescue and accept the conditions.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
We don't insist on another pet in the home being neutered BUT the adopters will get a serious lecture on why bitches have fewer health risks if spayed and why it's preferable for males.  After all, rescues don't want to see unneutered animals running around creating more accidental puppies who will possibly need rescuing.  It's only happened to me once where the adopter wanted to possibly breed her bitch "because her friend had a lovely male and they'd like to have pups."  Aaargh. She changed her mind once she got the full spiel on the expense, health risks and pitfalls.  She just wasn't aware and was willing to learn and take advice, and it was a good home, so it went ahead.  If adopters were adamant about not neutering and there was no medical reason for not doing it, then you'd maybe start to wonder what they were up to and how suitable they were.  All the dogs rehomed from DGCR are neutered, or if too young for it, the owners are given a voucher for it at the vet and they're followed up on to make sure it's done.  I think this is how most rescues operate.

But as you say, you could go buy a pup and no conditions would apply.  I'm just glad so many people want to have a rescue and accept the conditions.

We and other rescues I know in South Wales neuter all dogs (and cats) before rehoming (I know of people who even have vouchers in their hands and don't bother neutering even if its a free voucher) - if they are too young then they go with a neutering contract.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline karen488

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
We wanted a rescue for our second. We tried for an older dog but they felt that Darcey would annoy them, being younger. A lot can't go to homes with children. We gave up and went for another puppy. Maybe the best thing or us with younger children.+ WH are they always in Wales!?!??

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 06:56:49 AM »

i was adamant Bailey wasnt mature enough and i would get him done when i felt he was ready, my other animals are all done and they were given my vets number,the bitch would have come to me already spayed but that was no good apparently and it was the only thing they failed me on  >:( , so i went out and bought a pup instead of rescuing one as i had done for many years, my cats and dogs have always been rescue but now its getting too hard to meet the criteria which is a shame
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »
so i went out and bought a pup instead of rescuing one as i had done for many years, my cats and dogs have always been rescue but now its getting too hard to meet the criteria which is a shame

I agree - it's a shame.  Maybe the big rescues have to have their criteria as they've no time to treat every case individually?  Or maybe they've heard so many stories from so many people (not COLers, of course  :luv: ) that they just have their rules and that's it?  I don't know what the answer is.  Maybe it pays off to shop around with rescues.

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
I tried to go through breed rescue and was declined just reading their criteria, so we decided to adopt a border collie and Merlin came along. he is from dogs trust and they never once worried that Thor was entire....this has all worked fine and to be honest they were fantastic.

I of course can understand rescue policies but sadly by doing this they are turning away many perfect homes.

good luck Chris (sa) in your quest when it does happen....
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)