Author Topic: what is the best colour for a good temperment?  (Read 9638 times)

Offline Pip895

Re: what is the best colour for a good temperment?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
I wonder if the same study was carried out in say twenty or thirty years time, whether there would be such apparent differences between show/working dogs, particularly if the breeding of working strain dogs for the pet market by breeders motivated by money (ie not genuine breeders who work their dogs) continues and has the same detrimental effect as the commercial breeding of show type dogs.

I take slight issue with the apparent assumption that any breeder of working strain dogs who doesn't work their dogs is motivated by money.   ;) 

However the truth of the matter is that any breeding that does not have good temperament as its top, or nearly top, priority is likely to cause issues - this could just as easily be working breeder chasing the ultimate high drive working dog, as the issue of past show champions being of uncertain temperament but otherwise of perfect physical conformity. 

The problems are magnified by puppy farms and of course the huge numbers of pups that one stud dog can sire. 

It is not altogether supprising that Mark found links between certain colours and temperamental issues - if you threw enough resources at a study you might even be able to trace the individual dogs that lead to the issue.  The priority though is to look forward and encourage breeding from only temperamentally sound dogs/bitches - for both strains of the breed.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
I wonder if the same study was carried out in say twenty or thirty years time, whether there would be such apparent differences between show/working dogs, particularly if the breeding of working strain dogs for the pet market by breeders motivated by money (ie not genuine breeders who work their dogs) continues and has the same detrimental effect as the commercial breeding of show type dogs.

I take slight issue with the apparent assumption that any breeder of working strain dogs who doesn't work their dogs is motivated by money.   ;)  

That isn't what I said at all - you've either misread it or reading something into what I posted that just isn't there. I was quite obviously making the comparison with the mass production, commercial breeding of show type dogs which has had such a detrimental effect (ie where making money is the prime motivation above all else) & we already know that these type of breeders have acquired working strain dogs. Can't see what your issue is at all :huh:

Jane

Offline Pip895

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
That isn't what I said at all - you've either misread it or reading something into what I posted that just isn't there. I was quite obviously making the comparison with the mass production, commercial breeding of show type dogs which has had such a detrimental effect (ie where making money is the prime motivation above all else) & we already know that these type of breeders have acquired working strain dogs. Can't see what your issue is at all :huh:

Sorry my issue was more with the "(i.e. not genuine breeders who work there dogs)" which seemed to lump all other breeders in with the money motivated puppy farms.  I know its not what you ment to sugest.

My point really is that any breeder who does not prioratise temprament could be a cause of issues.  This includes some working kennels who churn out puppies as a side line, or offload surplus unsutable (generaly un health tested) pups onto the pet market. 

Offline dog22

• Site Member
  • Benji loved forever- together now with Rosie dog
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
Benji was gold with a blond head and he was a bit of a grumbler but not anything bad in any way shape or form.I would not hesitate to have a red/gold or whatever you call it again.People were banging on about cocker rage when i had him.he did not have any hint of that.i dont care what colour a cocker is i love them all. :luv:

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »
thanks a million for all the replies i think from what i have read there is such a thing as rage but it is soooooo much less common then people would like you to think i think reds and goldens are seen to have more behaviour problems because they are so much more common and if you buy from a good breeder and bring it up PROPERLY cockers are as many of you will vouch THE BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD!!!!

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »
i doubt it will be published but when it has been marked I may make it available to interested individuals as a PDF.
I do warn you it is hardly a bed time read and has about thirty five pages of tables and graphs :lol2: :005:

love a good study! would be interesting to read a bit more about your sampling methods and questionnaire- would the raw data be included? let us know how you get on with it anyway-and if it will be available on here!- what are you studying for which allowed you to write such an interesting dissertation!