Author Topic: Poorly Robbie today :( - any advice  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Dimples

Poorly Robbie today :( - any advice
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:24:14 PM »
Just wondered if I could get some reassurance from the board today  :-\

Robbie woke up at 6am this morning and was sick  :'(

He seemed ok though in himself and I took him to the woods at 6.30am for a walk.  He was his usual nutty self and was running up and down banks..chasing birds etc. Greedily took his treat when he went back on the lead.

He came home and dried off in Utility Room as usual. Breakfast was offered about half hour later which he didnt touch.

I then had to go to work at 7.40am and left him eager on his bed for his goodbye treat.  Thought no more about it. My daughter then phoned me at 9.30 saying she had found 4 sick patches on the lounge carpet  :huh:  She said he seemed ok in himself but kept retching.  At this stage he has still not eaten breakfast.  Quite happy in himself still but refused to go out on the lead to walk round the corner to my mums.  Mum and dad came round to collect him in the car and they said he was jumping up at door in excitement to see them.

Anyway he's now round theres and mum said he went straight out the garden to nose around in bushes as usual. She said he was himself but then was sick a couple of times...now at this stage just bile as he hasnt eaten. :'(.  Dad was ready to shoot him down vets but both mum and I agreed that if Robbie was lethargic and visibly unwell we wouldnt hesitate but he isnt - its just the retching happening. He is fortunately drinking lots.

Now this may have absolutely nothing to do with it but last night he had a terrible scare over the Rec - 2 horses reared up and he bolted off into the bushes - we couldnt even find him at first but eventually he came out and was shaking with fear. He had to be carried home all the way as he was so scared. :'(.  I cant imagine that would then cause sickness the following morning but just trying to figure it out.

any suggestions?  :-\

Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Poorly Robbie today :( - any advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »
Gosh that doesn't sound nice, poor little love  :'( Like you say as long as hes drinking lots and still bright you can wait and see how he is later, maybe vets tomorrow if it continues. Hope he picks up soon, Freya sends him a big wet kiss  :luv:

Offline mrsandmrs

• Indi
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
Awwww poor Robbie, and poor you!

It has to be a good sign that he is still drinking water and seems alert and "with it" ~ but something has obviously upset the little mite! Are his stools ok? As long as he is still drinking he shouldn't become dehydrated (huge side effect of vomitting) having said that perhaps a call to the Vet would be more reassuring for you?! Poor Robbie, perhaps it is the shock from last night but I would be inclined to think that he would have more likely displayed these symptoms last night rather than most of today (but i might be wrong there!?) Try not to worry too much, but if therre's no improvement by the end of today then a call to vet would be my advice :)

Sending lots of well wishes for him, sorry I haven't been much use, just wanted to send Get Well Wishes to him and hopefully provide a little bit of reassurance?!  :005:  Hope he is feeling better really soon!xx

Offline Dimples

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »
Thanks guys - have passed on the hugs and wet kisses.

He is drinking lots and still wandering about but about every 25 mins he throws up the water/bile which is all he has in him. He hasnt eaten breakfast or lunch.  He isnt how lethargic and does keep drinking so that is comforting me at the moment.

I am going to give him until 4pm to see if theres any improvement - then will give Vet a quick call just for some reassurance.

I wonder if he has eaten a plant or slug or something.

Now 9 years old

Offline mrsandmrs

• Indi
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
It certainly sounds like something is irritating his poor tummy  :'( and whatever it is it's stopping him from even keeping water down ~ if he's not keeping it down then he's not absorbing it so him drinking his futile.  I would defo ring the Vet if I were you, its always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion and if he's not keeping water down it would be best to have seen too before he begins to show significant signs of dehydration

Let us know how you get on xx

Offline Dimples

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
Exactly what i was thinking - just phoned vets - they want him to come down - got apt at 5.40pm. like you say if he isnt keeping the water down then he isnt getting hydrated.  Will keep you posted. Poor robbie  :'(

Now 9 years old

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »
Aw poor little chap hope all goes well at the vets, I think you have done the right thing :luv: big hugs for hom

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
Poor Robbie :-* Let us know how he get's on at the vet's :luv:
Lynn

Offline mrsandmrs

• Indi
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »
Think you have done the right thing for the little guy  :luv:

Thinking of him xx wishing him luck at the vets ~ keep us posted xx

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Poor chap...hope all is ok.. :luv:

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
 :bigarmhug: for you and one :bigarmhug: for Robbie...

Hope its nothing serious..glad you have a vet appt for later...hope he feels better soon xx
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Dimples i hope Robbie is ok.

Just a reminder re sick patches, make sure they are cleaned up properly( if on carpet)
as we came come to a great big hole in the centre of our lounge right down to the underlay! ph34r

Sally 

Offline Dimples

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »
Hi guys, well it got to 3pm and poor little boy went very lethargic and every 25 mins was throwing the water back up. Very limp and no sparkle  :'(. Took him straight down Vets.

They have said he has Gastroenteritis by the sounds of it.  His temperature was normal with a slightly raised heartbeat which vet said she would expect. Not too dehydrated at moment but must keep a very close eye. She has given me some sachets to mix with warm water for him to drink and he must be starved for 24 hours.  She checked all his stomach and found nothing obstructing. Basically he is feeling very soffy for himself and she detects that he has eaten something thats upset his little tummy.  We have retraced our movements and we can only guess that at 3am when he went out he must have picked up a slug or snail or something - just cant think of anything else...we cert have no pellats or anything down.

He is breaking my heart looking at him...he is so miserable and sad looking. We curled up on sofa together so that he would go into a deep sleep which he did do but now he takes sips of his water then finds a dark corner and curls up. I cant bear it. He seems to have aged in hours. Looks like a fragile old man instead of this very lively bouncy puppy.

Vet says that it should clear up in 24 hours but to keep close eye....so so sad... :'( :'(

Now 9 years old

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »
Poor Robbie, fingers crossed he'll be back to his usual self in the next day or two.  Gentle squidges for the little fella :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »
I'm sure he will be fine very soon...just needs to flush his system

:luv: from me and Indie :bigarmhug:

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011