Author Topic: 9 month old with leg problem  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: 9 month old with leg problem
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 08:29:12 PM »
just got back from the vets a couple of hours ago. they deepened the grove in the bone under his kneecap and also moved the kneecap tendon/ligament so it's more inline so he's got some wire and pins in there. the hard work starts now keeping him calm for the next 6 weeks. i do have some sedatives for the next two weeks.
not sure whether i should leave the collar on until his stiches are out it wasn't easy getting it on he didn't like it at all.

Poor boy, and poor you trying to keep him quiet for 6 weeks. Can you get him a babygro to wear instead of the cone? You can buy special dog suits, but I got a babygro from the charity shop for £1 and cut it to fit. Ours is for an 18month old baby - get one with poppers down the front, then you can put his legs in and do it up along his back without too much pulling him about. You can cut the back end out if you want so he can pee and poo, but it will be better for covering up his poorly leg and he'll be less fed up without the bloomin lampshade.   >:(

Good luck with it, hope he heals quickly.
Julie and Watson

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »
Oh bless him  :luv:
He must be wondering what has happened.
Brilliant idea of Joules regarding a baby gro.  Those plastic cones do look extremely uncomfortable.
Wishing him (and you ) all the best for a full recovery.  Please keep us updated as to how he is getting on. 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 10:32:16 PM »
Poor lad!!!  :luv: 
Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy and good recovery.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 08:07:29 PM »
Poor love  :luv: if he struggles with the cone, would these be an option?
https://medicalpetshirts.com/products/mps-hind-leg-sleeves-dog/
We had the bodysuit for Daisy after tummy surgery and they are very soft.  She was much happier without the cone.  See how you go, he may adapt to it ok.  Wishing him a speedy recoevery.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 12:20:14 PM »
Wishing Hugo a speedy recovery and you all the best in keeping him quiet for 6 weeks

I found it hard keeping Ash quiet for 2 weeks after her op, so don’t envy you 🥰

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 06:34:28 PM »
thanks for the idea about a body suit, but he seems to be managing ok with the collar on so i think i will just stick with that for now. so far so good although he's  getting a bit lively now even when i take him into the garden to go to the toilet he's darting about everywhere mostly on three legs but is starting to put his leg down. pretty difficult keeping a 9 month old calm.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 07:51:54 PM »
No problem, some cope with the cone, some don't.   :D  Keeping him calm is going to be a challenge!  :003:

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 08:39:15 PM »
it doesn't help that he will try and chase anything that moves ,even fly's and bees

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 08:10:54 PM »
been to vets today for Hugo's 2 week check up everything is looking ok no more lampshade on him so that's good, he's still on sedatives for the next couple of weeks to try and keep him calm as he keeps trying to charge about as though he's completely better, he was walking about normally after about 4/5 days.
i think i'm going to ignore the vets advice as he said he can now have 15mins lead walking up to 4 times a day which seems a lot to me. i know of someone else who's cocker had the same opp but at a different vets and they were told no exercise for a full 6 weeks and then 5 mins a day after that. so i think i will let him have 5 mins a day for the first week to see how he gets on.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »
That's good progress and great that the cone has gone.  You know your own dog best, so start gently and see how it goes, you can always build it up.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »
Glad to hear he‘s recovering well! 
I tend to agree with you, better to err on the side of caution rather than risk further damage by overdoing it too soon. ( as we‘re unfortunately experiencing at the moment!  :-\ )
 :bigarmhug: to Hugo  :luv:

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2022, 04:12:27 PM »
just a quick update Hugo has been signed off at the vets and is now allowed out on a lead for 30mins twice a day and all seems to be going really well. we are allowed to increase his exercise by 5 mins more each week for the next few weeks. we have 2 more weeks to go and then the vet said he can then have a run off the lead and then should be completely healed.
it has worried me a bit as when he's out he's darting about and pulling like crazy but the vet didn't seem worried about it he just said its fine he's a spaniel.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2022, 04:46:50 PM »
Brilliant! so pleased its all gone so well!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
Great update, so pleased everything is going well  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2022, 09:02:33 PM »
Great news, well done in getting him sorted out.  :luv: