Author Topic: Hello, I'm a newbie!!  (Read 779 times)

Offline Joycej

Hello, I'm a newbie!!
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »
Hello.  Just to introduce myself and my new puppy Maisy.  :luv:  I've had dogs forever, Jack Russells, Labradors, Collie cross spaniel, German Shepherds, but never a Cocker Spaniel.  Goodness, how different, but in a good way!  Maisy is 11 weeks old and from working stock.  I can't believe how quickly and eager she can learn.  We got her at 9 weeks and within 24 hours of her arriving she was sitting when asked, and doesn't seem to mind having a lead loosely around her neck when in the house (to get her used to it, advised by someone who trains and works with spaniels - although theirs are kept in kennels outside).   She gets plenty of praise when she does something right, which she loves. :clapping:

Her housetraining is coming on well generally, although have the odd accident when I am not paying attention to her 'asking' to go out.  She doesn't give much notice, but we go into the garden when she wakes up and to play for a while.  She does 'pee' on command mostly, and we are working on the pooping on command, again bit hit and miss.  She tries to help clean up when she pees by mistake in the kitchen which is really comical although painful with the needle teeth when she tries to get the tissue!  :o

I have tried to put her in her crate, but she really does cry and get upset.  She paws at the door to get out.  She has slept in it a few nights, but I found that she gets so distressed she messes in it.  I have never had a dog crate trained, but I would like to be able to put her in without her getting distressed.  It is a huge crate so it's plenty big enough for when she's fully grown.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this, would be really appreciated.

She's not going to be left for long periods of time as I'm lucky enough to be at home most of the day.  And I am soooo looking forward to going for long walks etc when she's big enough.

Looking forward to spending time on this forum!  Thanks in advance.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Re: Hello, I'm a newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

Hello to you both :blink:

Maisy will be your best yet :005: Cockers are terrific breed and as the proud owner of a working Cocker I was also amazed how quickly they learn :luv:
My little baby is now 11 months and we've just visited the vets to book an appointment for spaying >:( seems so unfair >:D >:D I do have some good sheets of info on crate training and I understand your "giving in" to the cry's but for the best quickest results you have to be cruel to be kind :shades: :luv:
Think you had better dust off your running shoes because the worker likes a good exercise :happydance: and plenty fresh air for you :005:

Mel.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

Maisy sounds lovely  :luv: 'different but in a good way' is a great description of cockers!

I haven't crate trained our dogs so can't help with that but others will be able to soon I'm sure.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »
Hello to you both. I'm also the very proud owner of my first Cocker, 13wk old show-type ''Buckley (Boo)''  ;) Have had GSD's and one Springer in the past. Glad I went with Cocker over Springer the in end...not only is he dreamy and cuddly and a beaut, he's so extremely smart and willing to learn like your wee girly.

To crate train.... the most important thing to do is feed her (all food, treats) in her crate! You'll have to start with door open, then you can work up to closing it... Play with her whilst she's in the crate too, tell her how brilliant and smart she is ''crate GOOD GIRL'' etc. Have her in there whilst you're in the room, and outside of the room...work in it small blasts.  ;) Make sure she goes to sleep after a very packed evening quite late, around 10-11pm to suit yourself...she'll be exhausted and want to sleep. My lad has a vetbed on the plastic tray of his crate, isn't left with paper or water, and has a selection of different toys to chew on. Nylabones, stuffed Kongs and Stagbars will give her hrs of play. Cover the crate if not done so already, dogs like to ''sleep under something'', so covering it in a sheet will offer her protection and create a den-like ''my space''.
I'm sure others have some great advice....good luck, she sounds a wonderful young lady!

Offline Joycej

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Thank you one and all, appreciate all the comments.  Maisy is just having a mad five minutes galloping from one room to the other with one of her toys. :005: 

I'm feeding her again in her cage, which she did quite happily, and instead of putting her plastic bed in the cage, I'll just put her bed in there.   We'll see how it goes over time.

Trying to ignore the demand for attention is really hard, especially as she gets progressively more naughty to get attention, quite commical though!

At last!  She's settled at my feet, she's quite worn herself out all that galloping with her flat fur rat thingy.

Offline Lovely

Hello, i'm a newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
Welcome, i'm fairly new too, i have 5 month old Lovely, she's my first cocker but is a show type.  As others will tell you this site is brilliant but hard to stay off of, i don't know what i did before COL! I crate trained my border terrier really easily  but must admit i gave up quickly with Lovely as she seemed so distressed,   but others have given you great advice. X
Ali

Offline Joycej

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
Thanks Lovely, you're right, it seems everyone on here is very helpful and it is very addictive!!

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
The crate should be a place of refuge where they want to go and not a place of punishment so the advice given earlier re feeding etc there sounds good. Cassie just went in it quite happily and it never bothered her.
 Sounds like you have a lovely pup..................... critcism though... where are the photos...... they are mandatory on COL !!!
XXXX

Offline Joycej

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »
Hahaha! Yes the photos, well when i work out how to post one on here, I will do!!

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
Joyce, the easiest thing to do is go to either http://imageshack.us/ or http://tinypic.com/ here you don't need to ''sign up'' and can simply upload your photos from your computer, and to display them here it should look like [ IMG ]www.url.com/image.jpg[/ IMG ] without the spaces!
Alternatively, and a few here do do this...register a free account at www.photobucket.com and from there the process is the same, it's just that with having an account you can keep track of your images and organise them into folders etc.

Hope this makes sense...post post post!! :D