Author Topic: New Food arrived :)  (Read 2361 times)

Offline HoneyG

New Food arrived :)
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
Well, Honey is very impressed with today's delivery :)

After loving the sample bag we sent for and emptying her bowl every feed, today the 'real' bag arrived!

One question I have though - I have read everything on the 'Eden' site (http://www.edenpetfoods.com/), and then some. But as most dog foods do contain some level of cereal, and this food is 80% meat/20% veg (no cereals etc) does she need anything else?

I have been gradually introducing this food for the last 10 days or so and she has taken to it fine, I would say she is more regular with her poos. And they are a much better 'consistency' already..

So I think she is fine on just this (and occasionally treats too of course ;) ) bit always happy for second opinions for expert owners :)

Thanks

Beki & Honey

Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: New Food arrived :)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
Looks like a good complete diet to me but I don't feed kibble so I'm sure if there's anything missing someone will let you know.   ;)
I love the piccy. All that food at the bottom but Honey is fixated by the one, teeny, kibble piece stuck at the top of the pack.  :luv:

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »
I never even spotted that!!!  :005:
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline robert h

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
Hi i will also be interested in any extra additives to diet
i put Poppy on this a week ago and she loves it  :luv:    it seems to be a good feed and the shop is local to me for pick up :D
i was talking to the owner and she told me that they are exporting it to show and breeding dog owners over europe
Regards Rob

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
Mine are raw fed  and their diet consists of 70-75% muscle meat, offal, bone and fish, 25-30% vegetables, fruit and herbs. They don't have any cereal in their main diet and don't need it, although some of the training treats they have contain cereal. So I can't say their diet is cereal free, but if I chose treats more carefully it could be and I'd be confident they weren't missing out on anything they needed.

I've just looked at the Eden website and I'm really impressed with the quality and variety of ingredients and that it has no cereal or fillers. Looks like really good stuff and I don't think it lacks anything :blink:

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
Thanks All,

From what I read it seemed really good and I didn't think anything would be needed in addition - but it seems there is some much contradictory advice out there I wanted to make sure I wasn't just reading the articles that I liked the answers to - if you know what I mean ;)

Rob - glad to know Poppy is loving it too :)  Honey has never been one to eat all her kibble, but now she empties the bowl in seconds - I am going to have to be so careful with portion sizes!!

We arne't close so have to pay for delivery!
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Hi !
What food is it ? I'm wondering wether at some point once Hudson had settled in if I should change his food so thought I would look at this if its a good one :) ta !

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
If you use Facebook then you'll find Eden have a Facebook page and you can speak directly to their nutritionist on that, and its useful to see how others are getting on with it. 

It is a complete food so you shouldn't need to add anything, though I see that some choose to add small amounts of oily fish or raw meat as an occasional extra.

We've been using it for over a month now and both dogs love it, so much so we now have to use the green feeders to slow them both down! I find it very economical to use too. Very pleased with results so far.

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
Oh thanks will go have a look :)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
My Honey has become a very fussy eater, so I tried the sample of this, but still not interested >:D Still looking for something that she will eat with enthusiasm! apart from treats...
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline HoneyG

Re: New Food arrived :) + added question re: frequency of feeds...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
If you use Facebook then you'll find Eden have a Facebook page and you can speak directly to their nutritionist on that, and its useful to see how others are getting on with it. 

It is a complete food so you shouldn't need to add anything, though I see that some choose to add small amounts of oily fish or raw meat as an occasional extra.

We've been using it for over a month now and both dogs love it, so much so we now have to use the green feeders to slow them both down! I find it very economical to use too. Very pleased with results so far.

Thanks - found the Facebook page and have 'liked' :)

What are green feeders???

My next challenge is this... Honey has never shown much interest in her food. So I typically I have been weighing out the daily allowance, put about a third in her bowl in the morning. and she grazed. and then I would add another third half way through the day (or when empty), and same for evening.  Usually food left in the evening and would polish off before bedtime when she realised nothing else was on offer...

..but now we are on Eden..I weigh our her daily allowance (200g), put about a third in.................GONE IS SECONDS!  She spends the rest  of the morning looking at me like I am starving her. And keeps returning to her bowl every so often to see if more has magically appeared!!

So today I thought I would put half down in the morning as maybe she is old enough to be on 'two' meals a day now (She is 8 months).  but the same.....bowl is empty and I am looked at as if I never fed her!!

Does this mean I now just have a typical cocker ;)

I am sticking to her fixed amount (200g from the estimate on whichdogfood.co.uk website) which is inline with the guidelines on the bag. As Honey is already 12kg (last month), has been spayed and although she is not overweight, it is a fine line as her ribs can just about be felt...but only with gentle pressure..

Guess I just want some to reassure me that she is now just showing typical cocker "eat everything put in front of me and then some" behaviour and is a good sign that she likes her new food ;)
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
I could almost echo your posts.

We have recently changed over to Eden (from Purina Pro Plan) Liesl's first full meal being yesterday - she now empties her breakfast bowl (she has wet food for supper). Previously, there would have been more kibble on the floor and left in the bowl than she would have eaten. Similarly to Honey, she munched through this at a much quicker speed, although it wasn't quite 18 secs!

I had tried a sample of Acana previously but she toyed with this much the same as the Purina. She is a bit of a fussy eater but has a fondness for meat - no interest in dog biscuits, sea jerky etc or any vegetables so I'm guessing that her liking of Eden is due to the high meat content. Perhaps this is the same for Honey?

I think this maybe the green feeder ...

http://www.petslovescruffs.com/Licensed-Pet-Bedding/The-Kennel-Club%C2%AE/The-Kennel-Club-Anti-Gorge-Feeding-Bowl/p-94-113-528/

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
This is the green feeder:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_YAwxdjpGlY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_YAwxdjpGlY

We are feeding below the recommended amount because Ollie is overweight, so he's having 130g split between 2 meals, and Maisie who is only 11.5kg and has just been spayed is on 150g split between 2 meals.

On top of that they get training treats, carrot or pieces of apple, and an occasional raw chicken wing, or chicken carcass, or bone which also helps keep teeth nice and clean (plus they really enjoy them).

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I'm not sure I can cope with the eyes looking at me pleading for more food!!

Just have to remind myself it is like me with food - given the chance I would also eat all day everyday!  So no matter how cute, pleading, whiny she is..will have to stick to that amount.

I will see how her weight goes and will adjust accordingly..hope I don't have to reduce as I am sure whe would claim I was starving her ;)
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
Yes I know what you mean. I don't need an alarm clock in this house - if breakfast isn't served at 07:15 and tea served by 17:30 we are reminded by two cockers who nudge, wiggle bums, paw and finally bark until food is served!  :005:

I've been at home most afternoons recently and the cheeky monkeys have been trying it on from 16:30!  >:D