Author Topic: Is this a working or show cocker?  (Read 6917 times)

Offline lallen

Is this a working or show cocker?
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
Thinking of buying a pup and have been told by the breeder that the parents are working cockers. I have met the bitch and she is definitely a working cocker. Was shown a picture of the stud which I am adding but i have concerns that he is a show cocker which would not make my pup a full working cocker. Has anyone got any ideas?

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Is this a working or show cocker?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
No photo showing here  :-\

Offline lallen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
Hi. Can you perhaps see it here? (A bit big maybe)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
No all I can see is a broken link  :huh:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Hi lallen - the photo will only show up if linked from a photo transfer site such as photobucket or flickr.

However, if you have the stud dogs name you may be able to google him and find his pedigree on the internet.  If he is being used at stud often he may well be on sites like Champdogs.  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline lallen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
Ah. Still getting used to this.

Perhaps this will work???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97720329@N07/9086503372/

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
Gorgeous dog, he does look like a show cocker to me though.
Could be a  mix of both.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
It's not a particularly good picture to judge from but he could have some show in him  ;)

I would ask for the full pedigree details of him from the breeder and go from there.
helen & jarvis x

Offline lallen

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »
Oh dear. I was thinking as a total novice that his paws were too furry and long for a working cocker and that his ears were too long. Do you know of anyone who would be able to give a definitive yes or no. I want a full working cocker so dont want to go ahead if the pups are going to be half show.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
Oh dear. I was thinking as a total novice that his paws were too furry and long for a working cocker and that his ears were too long. Do you know of anyone who would be able to give a definitive yes or no. I want a full working cocker so dont want to go ahead if the pups are going to be half show.

He looks to have the longer ears of a show type to me, but without seeing a picture of all of him I think it will be impossible for anyone to say for sure. As Helen says, you should ask the breeder for his details and pedigree. If she can't provide them or is unwilling to do so I'd be very suspicious personally.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »
It's not an unreasonable question to ask your breeder about the pedigree of the sire, in fact it's one you should be asking from every breeder you talk to.   The more background research you can do on your potential pups lines the better  :D

If he is KC registered you will be able to tell from his pedigree and the affixes if there is a mix of show and working.  Although if the dog is solely a pet that really wouldn't matter too much as the pup would still be an cocker spaniel - but it would matter if they were not telling you the truth about his heritage and you bought the pup under false pretenses.
helen & jarvis x

Offline lallen

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »

He looks to have the longer ears of a show type to me, but without seeing a picture of all of him I think it will be impossible for anyone to say for sure. As Helen says, you should ask the breeder for his details and pedigree. If she can't provide them or is unwilling to do so I'd be very suspicious personally.

Thanks. He showed me a copy of the pedigree certificate but to be honest it was just a long list of weird dog name that meant absolutely nothing to me. I am a total novice at this. The last dog I had was a rescue springer spaniel 20 years ago! I wouldn't know if the certificate was genuine. And how does one know if he used the actual stud he says he did. The bitch and stud are not kc registered.
If the general consensus is that the stud is a show cocker I will stay away...

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
I don't think our opinions on the stud are the only thing you should be concerned about - more concerning would be the fact that neither are KC registered so how can he produce pedigrees of them both?

I would walk away - doesn't sound like a good breeder anyway.

Have a look here for tips about finding one  ;)
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.0

helen & jarvis x

Offline lallen

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
I don't think our opinions on the stud are the only thing you should be concerned about - more concerning would be the fact that neither are KC registered so how can he produce pedigrees of them both?

I would walk away - doesn't sound like a good breeder anyway.

Have a look here for tips about finding one  ;)
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.0

So the pedigree papers are meaningless? It was like a family tree with lots of weird names. I'm showing my lack of knowledge and experience here aren't I?  Am I right in thinking that a working spaniel wouldn't have that much fur around the feet and that length of ear tho. I'd like to think that I have learnt a little by researching the working cocker....

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
with unscrupulous breeders yes, they can be meaningless but with a good breeder and well bred cockers they are an essential tool and very meaningful!

The photo of that dog is difficult to judge - the back is very sleek, the feet hairy but then a lot of working cockers do get very fluffy feet anyway.  As for the ears well in that position/pose they do look very long and show like and that is more of an indication to me than the feet  but again it could be partly the way the dog is sat.  My working cocker has long ears but he is definitely from working strain. 

There is a massive variation within the working cocker breed of size/coat/colour as well  ;)

I think your first step would be to find a good breeder and step away from this one  ;)

helen & jarvis x