Author Topic: Thinking of changing food  (Read 2804 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Thinking of changing food
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Have to say Albert loves his new Nature diet. Unbelievably he had no eye gunk this morning, we've had to wipe gunk from his eyes everyday for over a year. I am thinking of keeping him on NatureDiet but can anyone tell me if I could feed him half Nature diet and half kibble? I am thinking this may be better for his teeth and we quite often go to country pubs with Albert for a meal, we take his kibble with us to keep him good by feeding him his dinner bit by bit (sorry am whittering on a bit now!)

Brodie is on NatureDiet and gets carrots to help keep her teeth clean. We've never had a problem until very recently when she decided she didn't want to eat her carrots, and I've had to buy some toothpaste... But she has gone back to eating them again and her teeth are getting back to being sparkly clean. Other chews are great too, I used to give her pizzle sticks and other natural chews to help. I used to feed her kibble with wet food mixed in (she's a very fussy dog :P) so can't see any problems with feeding both, except for ensuring you aren't over/under feeding. But it's easy enough to see by eye if you are.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Have to say Albert loves his new Nature diet. Unbelievably he had no eye gunk this morning, we've had to wipe gunk from his eyes everyday for over a year. I am thinking of keeping him on NatureDiet but can anyone tell me if I could feed him half Nature diet and half kibble? I am thinking this may be better for his teeth and we quite often go to country pubs with Albert for a meal, we take his kibble with us to keep him good by feeding him his dinner bit by bit (sorry am whittering on a bit now!)

Don't know if yu can still buy it, when one of my dogs was on n/d, I used to give her terrier mix biscuit from the pet shop. This way she was not getting clashes with kibble/nd goodness if yswim. Also it means the n/d will go a bit further  ;)

Minstrel came away from his breeder on Beta and have to say I am not keen on the results, so am thinking that if it does not clear up anytime soon will certainly consider changing him over too. I like n/d as a food and would definately prefer him to have this than Beta
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
It's difficult to get terrier meal these days, I feed Denes wholegrain mixer http://denes.co.uk/products/wholegrain-mixer with my boys' raw meat breakfasts, it's the nearest I've found to terrier meal.  It's in little biscuits which they will also eat from the hand like treats, so would perform the tooth-cleaning you're looking for. They have Nature Diet on its own, as it already has rice in it. 

They also have carrots, chunks of swede, and broccoli stem for healthy tooth-friendly treats.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
They have Nature Diet on its own, as it already has rice in it. 

Oh yes of course is does, :doh:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »

Sorreeeeeee  ;)
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »

Sorreeeeeee  ;)

no probs  :D

Offline woodlander

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
You might like to have a look at Lily's Kitchen.  Sweep is on it and does very well.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
Well all was going very well with the new Nature Diet but then 2 hours after his dinner last night he was sick (all over our new throw on our bed  >:( ).  So now am even more confused, was it the new food, or was it because he wolfed it down so fast, or was it the heat

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »
Jamie has one spoon of nature diet mixed with JWB kibble. he's pretty sensitive and poo's are always on the soft side but it seems to be the best for him. i know that the nature diet is quiet rich so maybe thats why he was sick? maybe too much at once.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
Tilly sicked up naturediet once, she ate too fast. Now I put some in her bowl and some in her Kong. Never had a problem since. She gets on so well with naturediet compaired to the kibble so was on.

Offline Hannahc7

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
I am having problems with my pup having diarrhoea. Did some research and someone recommended getting a probiotic and putting it in her food, may help with yours too?
Looking at the reviews it sounds amazing so I can't wait to try it and see if it sorts her out. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Y3XLH4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am moving her onto Eden dog food after researching on whichdogfood.co.uk - might be worth doing some research on there. I have been feeding Maggie Chicken and Rice for a little while just to settle her stomach.

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
I am having problems with my pup having diarrhoea. Did some research and someone recommended getting a probiotic and putting it in her food, may help with yours too?
Looking at the reviews it sounds amazing so I can't wait to try it and see if it sorts her out. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Y3XLH4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am moving her onto Eden dog food after researching on whichdogfood.co.uk - might be worth doing some research on there. I have been feeding Maggie Chicken and Rice for a little while just to settle her stomach.
Pro kolin is fantastic, Tilly has used it many times when she was smaller. Helps them within 24 hours. Always keep some at home just in case.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
For diarrhoea (thank you auto correct  :shades:)  my mum swears by something called tree bark powder. It's a natural remedy and apparently is amazing. Any one else heard of or used it?
I have read that chicken can sometimes upset some dogs tums so instead of chicken and rice you could try white fish and rice instead.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
For diarrhoea (thank you auto correct  :shades:)  my mum swears by something called tree bark powder. It's a natural remedy and apparently is amazing. Any one else heard of or used it?
I have read that chicken can sometimes upset some dogs tums so instead of chicken and rice you could try white fish and rice instead.

Not heard of tree bark, would be interesting to find out if anyone has used it with good results

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
Tree bark powder has a lot of fans in the raw feeding group I belong to, but I don't know anything about it. I'll have a look and see what I can find.

I keep pro-kolin in my dog first aid kit and have used it with success, but it's not something I'd use on a regular basis. I'd be wanting to find the cause of the problem.

There's a product called Bionic Biotic that's intended for daily use and meant to be very good at helping keep the gut healthy.