Author Topic: Orijen puppy food  (Read 5888 times)

Offline dantheman

Orijen puppy food
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
Just got our first dog a cocker! He was in Royal canin but changed him to orijen over a 3 day period but his poo is now soft to sloppy started mixing it back with Royal canin, is this ok to do, leave him on half n half ?
Also he won't stop nipping, I take this is normal but was wondering if any of you guys have a way of stopping it other than just giving him a toy when he starts biting
Many thanks

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Orijen puppy food
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »
Just got our first dog a cocker! He was in Royal canin but changed him to orijen over a 3 day period but his poo is now soft to sloppy started mixing it back with Royal canin, is this ok to do, leave him on half n half ?
Also he won't stop nipping, I take this is normal but was wondering if any of you guys have a way of stopping it other than just giving him a toy when he starts biting
Many thanks

Orijen is a high protein food with no cereal, fillers , grains etc, much like what Riley is on, Eden.
When we switched to eden gradually , riley had soft poo it was just during this changeover phase.
You should give it more time really to see how he is. I think 3 days isnt long enough, I did the change over 10 days and that was with a 1 year old dog not a puppy.
I added 10% eden to his old food for a few days, then 25% for a few, 50% and so on, so that on day 10 he was on 100% eden.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
May be trial and error until you find a food that suits the little guy but mixing foods shouldn't be a problem in my opinion - I do it with my two - they are on half CSJ and half Applaws (they prefer the taste of the Applaws but it gives them runny poohs too)

As for the nipping, unfortunately it's one of the joys of owning a pup. He will grow out of it and you are doing exactly the right thing by giving him a toy. A firm "no" or "ouch" might work too.

How old is he and what's his name - oh and by the way, a photo is obligatory  ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies! the other snag is if I feed just orijen then he is cleaning the bowl and still hungary as the instructions say to feed less of sloppy poos are a defo.
Tried to upload a pic but its not done it as yet, he was born in Wales on 9th July 2013 and he is fantastic, trained him to sit, come fetch and stay in 2 weeks so really happy.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
Both Milly and Chaz were on Orijen Puppy but they were changed over from the kibble their breeder fed them over at least a ten day period. Three days is not long enough in my opinion to effect a change of food type especially for a puppy.

There were some softish poos during the change over period with both of them but, as Orijen contains no filler or bulking ingredients, this is to be expected as they get used to the new food formulation. After the changeover both had almost perfect poos  ;).

Milly, at three years old , is still quite happily wolfing down her Orijen while Chaz, just over a year old, has been moved, slowly, over to Acana. This is another Champion petfoods brand and very much like Orijen except it has a slightly lower protein content.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "instructions say to feed less of sloppy poos are a defo.".....The feeding amounts for Orijen are quite low compared to other foods which have bulking agents so it's quite easy to overfeed, stick to the recommended daily amounts for his weight, probably about 100-140 g per day, split into three or four meals, and make sure that clean water's always available.
All puppies are permanently hungry but please resist giving him more food until he's full. It's very easy to overfeed a puppy but not as easy to get the weight off later on....Ideally weigh your puppy, weigh his daily food allowance and stick to it  :shades:.

If your puppy bites a bit too hard then you could try giving a little high pitched yelp as this is the sort of response he'd get from his litter mates. There's lots of advice on here about the various joys of puppy rearing so a good look through the various topics would be well worthwhile. Different things work with different puppies so you may have to try out a few before getting it right  :005:.

By the way, Is he a show or working cocker?

Bob.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
Thanks bob he is a show dog type.
The Origen is unclear as it says if the adult dog is going to be 10 to 20kg then it's x now that's a big gap 10 to 20 kg then it's 2 or 5kg actual weight as of now so he is 3.75 so I'm giving him 90 of Origen and 90 of royal canin instead of 120 Origen.
Like I say it's my first dog at 42 so it's all a learning curve for me and thank v much for your help!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »
Your first dog's a cocker, couldn't do better  :clapping:.
We've had mostly Labs and only discovered the joy of cockers three years ago with Milly, our show cocker. Love dogs but there's something about cockers that make them that bit special  :luv:.
Yes, the Orijen feeding guide could be clearer but, at 3.75 kilos I'd be feeding him 100g a day, roughly 4/5 of the 5kg amount (120g) for a 10-19 kg dog at adult weight.
If you're feeding him 90g of Orijen plus the same weight of Royal Canin then he's heading to be a very well fed puppy indeed :005: ;).

There's a website with details of all the various dog foods here....http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

You'll be able to judge yourself the pluses and minuses of the various foods but, to be honest, Royal canin just isn't anywhere near the same quality as Orijen in my opinion and contains some less desirable ingredients.

If you're looking for an alternative that's very much the same then have a look at Acana. From experience with our two they'll happily swap between the two foods as they're very much alike and made by the same company, very highly rated as well  ;).

Which dog food to feed is something of a minefield with all the brands and varieties out there. We went with Orijen as it's generally regarded to be about the best there is and doesn't contain anything that can cause allergic reactions in dogs. Over the past year or so other high quality foods have come onto the market but I prefer to stick with the ones I know and trust.

By the way, 42 is nothing for a first cocker. I was 62 when we got Milly and we've now got Chaz, a worker, as well :005:. You're never too old  :shades:.

Bob.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »
Superb bob! think I will cut down on the extra RC and move the Orijen up to its full amount then decrease the RC over 10 days or so.
Woody is eating all his food straight down and treats of chicken etc for learning him tricks.
Cheers Bob!

Offline dantheman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
Ok, Woody is now on full Orijen and his poo is solid. Problem is he eats it really quick and still seems hungry, I've put him up to 150g a day, 3 x 50g he also gets fresh meat treats, just worried it's still not enough.
He has been strongholded a week ago for his top up worm n flee protection and there is nothing in his stools so ruled out worms, maybe he is just plain greedy?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
This may help http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/orijen_feeding_guide.pdf

The first chart is for puppies (apart from large breeds) and uses current puppy weight rather than predicted adult weight.

Woody may just be plain greedy :lol2:. Lots of Cockers are. You can buy food bowls designed to slow eating down if he's really bolting it down, or you could buy a puppy Kong and put some of his daily ration of Orijen in it, perhaps one of his meals, with something like a small amount of mashed banana or peanut butter or squeezy cheese or plain yogurt. The wet ingredient will help keep the kibble in the Kong and give him something to work at and occupy his mind as well as slowing down the eating.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
Well I'm confused!!
The chart on Orijen website says 120g
http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/Orijen_WP_Feeding_Guide.pdf

However the chart you have found says 220-330 no wonder he is hungry!!

Which is the right one???

Woody is 13weeks old and weighs 5.05kg

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »
Hi Dantheman.

The chart you're quoting   http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/Orijen_WP_Feeding_Guide.pdf   is for their "Whole Prey Diet" version of Orijen Puppy which has a different formulation from their normal Orijen Puppy food at   http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/orijen_feeding_guide.pdf

Assuming that you're feeding the standard Orijen Puppy you'll find that during the first few months the quantity recommended varies by puppy weight AND age.

The quantity is reduced as they get older BUT increased as they get heavier. Read down the left side of the chart for age then across the top for weight.

It can be rather confusing but, at 13 weeks and weighing a fraction over 5 kilos, I'd be looking at 12-16 weeks under age, then across to 5-10 kilos under weight, which would give a range of 240g to 330g a day.

Based on this I'd be looking to feed 240g/day at his present age/weight.

From 16 weeks the quantity is reduced but, going by his increasing weight, you'll probably find that you'll settle at about 250g, increasing slightly for the next few months according to the weight he puts on, that was the pattern I ended up following with Chaz.

I just wish they'd display this information in graph form as, in my opinion anyway, it'd be much easier to follow as they get heavier. You've found that this food must be really tasty for cockers as Chaz would empty his bowl in seconds as well. By 13 weeks Chaz was down to three meals a day so each one was fairly small at about 70g - 80g so just took seconds to be hoovered up, although we did keep back about 20g of the daily amount of kibble to be fed as training treats through the day.

Bob.

Offline dantheman

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »
Thanks very much Bob!

No wonder he looks hungary, and wolfs it down, good job I've been tipping him fresh Salmon, Beef and Chicken!!

The website is soooo misleading, there is only 1 Orijen puppy food and a large puppy food, the guide is the one I have been using. The lady who posted the new list, I can't even find on their feeding guides tab!
But it's my own fault as I use the internet more than I should. Reading the bag itself, you're right, it is just puppy and the guide on the bag says 240-330, so a huge THANK YOU to both of you!!

Looking forward to a more chilled out sleepy dog, or is he going to go mental with the calorie boost, mmmm

Offline dantheman

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Just had an Email back from Orijen (bern pet foods) saying Woody should be on 120g a day, so they don't even know whats right or wrong!!

Going with the back of the bag, end off, utter rubbish, no wonder I got it wrong!!

Offline dantheman

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
Spoke to Orijen and even though I have an old bag the feeding is this, the other chart is incorrect and was even printed on the bags wrong!! oh boy!!

http://www.orijen.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Orijen-Feeding-GuidesREVISED.pdf