Author Topic: Eden dry food  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Eden dry food
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »
My previous cocker tried higher meat content food and his stools were constantly runny and impossible to pick up so that's why I'm reluctant to try a higher meat food with Archie, especially in view of the fact that the little blighter is still pooing indoors at 21 weeks old.....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »
I think higher protein content is associated with hyperactivity/ "excess" energy so boisterous dogs are recommended low protein diets. Not sure about the health implications of this though.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.
It's got something to do with the food being dry. While dogs are meat eaters, raw meat has a certain percentage of water content so raw meat (and bones)  aren't concentrated protein sources, whereas in a high protein dry food it is (I think).  It relates to the protein source and content rather than whether it's meat.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
I think higher protein content is associated with hyperactivity/ "excess" energy so boisterous dogs are recommended low protein diets. Not sure about the health implications of this though.

I have read and believe thats a myth, its additives and wheat/grains that are more likely to cause hyperactivity.
Riley has been on eden for 10 months and yes he has high energy on that morning hour out chasing his ball non stop, but at home he is almost horizontal all day after that lol, most definately the opposite of hyper active LOL.  :005:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
My previous cocker tried higher meat content food and his stools were constantly runny and impossible to pick up so that's why I'm reluctant to try a higher meat food with Archie, especially in view of the fact that the little blighter is still pooing indoors at 21 weeks old.....

I think its getting the balance right, its easy to overfeed as with higher protein like eden, orijen etc the amount we have to feed isnt as much as its not got fillers etc, so doesnt look much if that makes sense, therefore we tend to think its not enough and add more, which in my experience tipped the balance with Riley, ie too much of eden made his poo soft , I have now got him the right amount and his poo is firm and does 2 firm each day.

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
Same as Tilly, her stools were awful. It came to a point I couldn't walk her because is she went to the loo I was unable to pick it up and she was also sick a few times. None of these problems now (touch wood) and she is a much happier dog for the change.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
I tried many different amounts, it just didn't suit him.  Changed to JWB, which was a good fit for him almost immediately.  The search starts again with Archie as I'm gradually changing him over to adult food.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
Tilly had lost a bit of weight so I'm keeping her on the puppy food till she's over 12 months old. Good luck with yours.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
Meat is good lol.
    Yes they are. Don't feed kibble even grain free   Feed a raw diet.   

Erica.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
Erica, with all due respect, which could be claimed has been left out in your comment, I don't want to feed raw. The question was around experience with a dry food.

All, the high meat content isn't a concern, though the protein and fat from it may be  :005: - but only in terms of not knowing how that will affect quantity of food needed, and how getting it wrong could cause stool 'issues' and excess energy (though a little more energy wouldn't be an issue for Pebbles at mo).

Thanks for all the feedback, think we will give Eden a go, though still have some 6-7kg of wainrights left at mo

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Millies Wolfheart countryside is good, high quality but 70/30  :D

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
I feed my two Simpson's 80/20 Eden I think. Before that I fed Simpson's for sensitive stomachs. I like fact that there are a lot of types you can choose from.

Service is great and have a few friends who have changed over. Been on it for 18 months and still get excited when I put it out

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Meat is good lol.
   Yes they are. Don't feed kibble even grain free   Feed a raw diet.  

Erica.

Dogs are not obligate carnivores and a raw diet is not suitable for all dogs. It was among many diets I tried for Tilly when her IBD first flared up and she cannot tolerate bones or raw meat - or any meat at all other than tiny amounts of duck; feeding her what constitutes a balanced raw diet would make her seriously ill. There is another member on here who has to feed one of her dogs a vegan diet as he can't have any animal protein at all. Raw undoubtedly suits some owners and some dogs - I feed half raw to Rodaidh and Caoimhe and it has some benefits for them - but it's not the best or most appropriate diet for everyone for various reasons.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
Ozzy was on Eden for about 6 months, but unfortunately we had to take him off it.  He had constantly runny stools, and we decided that we were feeding him too much, so we cut the amount right down.  His stools did become slightly firmer, but he lost weight and was constantly hungry - becoming a real pest whenever we tried to eat a meal.  So we gradually increased the amount again, but his stools just got runny again.  We came to the conclusion that it just didn't suit him.  We changed to Wainwrights and he seemed much better, not hungry and firmer stools, but then he started to itch a lot (which is why we put him on Eden in the first place!) so we've swapped him to Wainwrights grain free and he seems to be okay on that at the moment.  Eden is a really good food, and we were sorry it didn't suit him.