Author Topic: What other types of training do you all do  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
What other types of training do you all do
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
Riley is 2 next month, he is brilliant at home, He does everything I ask.
He will wait, he will come to me when I ask, he will co-operate with everything I ask.
What else do you do at home training wise?

Ok outside lead training, ie walking to heel is non existent, but what else in the house do you all do?

Offline Murphys Law

Re: What other types of training do you all do
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
I practice recall with a whistle inside the house.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »
Leave. With all the drugs knocking around, I had to know that if I dropped a tablet, they would leave it be. Although I rather think its my panic stricken yell that makes them stop, rather than my training ability!  ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
We have done the Good Citizens awards so have practiced these at home - down, leave, stay (which is different to wait), settle by feet, relaxed isolation, send to bed, stop at a distance, whistle recall.
Fun things too  - roll over, twist, hide their toys then send them to find them, hide and seek with me, getting them to tidy away their toys in a box. I have to say though, having two makes some of these more difficult!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
'Wait' for dinner until i say 'ok'.  Take treat only when their name is mentioned.  Wait at top/ bottom of stairs until released.  Settle. Off (usually the bed when am trying to make it).  Move up - when i want some of the sofa.  No recalls necessary in house as they are perpetually under my feet.  All of the others as a necessity living with 3 whirlwind cockers in a small house  :005:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
We've added in with the normal stuff "close the door" (essential without a door flap!),  "find the.... slippers/remote/collar/lead/keys/food bowl" (but not a pottery bowl.... :o)

Even at 8 he still loves learning stuff.

No need to ask him to wait for his meal - he does it without asking and we usually have to encourage him to start eating anyway   :lol2: ("only dog" syndrome  ;) )

Top Barks is yer man on this one  :D  He has some videos on you tube and on here with things his gang can do.
helen & jarvis x

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
we play hide an seek :) close the door to the room, hide a few treats around then open the door and tell him to 'find it'
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
We've added in with the normal stuff "close the door" (essential without a door flap!),  "find the.... slippers/remote/collar/lead/keys/food bowl" (but not a pottery bowl.... :o)

Even at 8 he still loves learning stuff.

No need to ask him to wait for his meal - he does it without asking and we usually have to encourage him to start eating anyway   :lol2: ("only dog" syndrome  ;) )

Top Barks is yer man on this one  :D  He has some videos on you tube and on here with things his gang can do.

Good to read all your stuff and yep he does all of these, also doesnt take his food , just looks at it , once I said to take it , he never head me and was sitting staring at the bowl till i said it louder  :005:
Yep finding stuff he is really good at, have to show him the item, not much on our list though yet,

Definately will come from whatever room he or I are in the house, either by whistle or by me calling in a silly high voice:)
So seems pretty much doing same as others here.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
A game to test/train wait that we play is...a few tiny treats in a small unbreakable container (I use small plastic xmas pud bowl) tell Minstrel to sit & wait while I go length of garden path/living room etc. and place the bowl upside down, then send him to find the treats.

(The bowl has to be unbreakable as Minstrel has a tendency once he has sniffed out the treat to kick the bowl out the way  :lol: )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Funny I was thinking of asking this question myself recently. They're so quick to learn I think they must enjoy it. We do the usual, sit, down, sit stay, down stay, wait, leave it, paws off, recall, heel (only generally successful in the house!). Also roll over  :005: And to give his paw which I taught him just after Christmas and now he's obsessed with doing!  :005:  Find it as well, usually with kibble knotted up in a blanket. Thinking of whistle training now as his recall is getting a bit norty...

Offline Mutley

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »
we play hide an seek :) close the door to the room, hide a few treats around then open the door and tell him to 'find it'

Could someone please tell me how to introduce this game to my Archie? He doesn't know "find it" yet. Do I give him a sniff of the treat and hope he goes to look for the same scent hidden in the room?

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »

Could someone please tell me how to introduce this game to my Archie? He doesn't know "find it" yet. Do I give him a sniff of the treat and hope he goes to look for the same scent hidden in the room?

Yes we did that, we showed him say a bit of chicken and let him sniff it, told him to wait in the kitchen, and hid it in living room, he will sit in kitchen till I say "go find the treat" and he will come and sniff and find it. So yes , we first started with the door closed and said wait , then when he got better we leave the door open but he wont come through till he is called to.

I also hid somewhere upstairs and will yell "go find mum" he will come and search every room till he finds me, I will then make a huge fuss and give him big hugs saying he is a good boy.

Offline Mutley

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
Thank you Jane, I 'm going to try that out!

Offline Gromit

• Site Member
  • Always look up.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
How did you train to close the door? Using post-its? Darcey my flatcoat can open the back door by jumping up and pawing the lever, she learnt that by herself, but dashes in and leaves it wide open with all the heat going out!