Author Topic: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?  (Read 7352 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Your comment Elaine about not buying the nuggets as they have rice in them, but I notice the complete raw ones also have rice too (apart from the Chicken & Salmon and Tripe one).  Does this mean they are just bulking those up too with rice?

Less drinking and less poo sounds very good to me  :lol2:

The view that Nature's Menu apparently takes is that they offer a range of just raw meat (like the 2kg tripe chunks, liver chunks and heart chunks that I sometimes buy), raw meat with bone (the square blocks not described as complete) and the other ranges with veggies or veggies and rice so as to give customers the widest choice possible. I don't think they're just bulking them up for the sake of it, but most raw feeders that I know don't feed rice and probably more than half don't feed veggies either. I do, but not as high a % as they put in Nature's Menu. Having said that, when I started raw it was the most readily obtainable for someone with limited freezer space so I used to select the rice free stuff and with as low a veggie content as I could find. William and Louis certainly did well on it, so I can't really knock it.

If you decide to try Nature's Menu look carefully at the labels before you buy. I think their labelling isn't the clearest with their lamb dinner containing more chicken than lamb for instance! You need to read the ingredients list on the back as well as the name on the front. But it's convenient, UK sourced and in handy sized packages. You could always buy some supermarket chicken or turkey mince to mix in with the Nature's Menu to make it a better ratio of meat and veg.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
Cheers for that  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
I think nature's menu is prefect to see if it's liked, it's not expensive to by different flavours and it's easy to get (I did this to see which flavours were liked before moving to a proper raw company).
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
I had nearly finished swopping Bob onto natures menu,  using both nuggets and the blocks the then he got what the vet said was  colitis or haemmorhagic gastritis. I don't know if it was caused by bacteria in puddles or food, but he is now back on Eden. Also when on the raw , he didn't seem to be digesting the tiny bits of bone.  I still give him titbits of our human quality meat  raw, but,  Natures Menu left me slightly concerned. When it is prepared in a factory, frozen, driven, stacked in freezers, driven again to my freezer, there is always a chance for bugs to get a hold.
If I start feeding raw again ,I will only buy fresh meat.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »
I had nearly finished swopping Bob onto natures menu,  using both nuggets and the blocks the then he got what the vet said was  colitis or haemmorhagic gastritis. I don't know if it was caused by bacteria in puddles or food, but he is now back on Eden. Also when on the raw , he didn't seem to be digesting the tiny bits of bone.  I still give him titbits of our human quality meat  raw, but,  Natures Menu left me slightly concerned. When it is prepared in a factory, frozen, driven, stacked in freezers, driven again to my freezer, there is always a chance for bugs to get a hold.
If I start feeding raw again ,I will only buy fresh meat.

I'm sorry Bob had problems, but to be fair to Nature's Menu they've been a reputable supplier of raw for a very long time and they deliver their frozen raw to shops and to customers who've ordered online for home delivery in their own refrigerated vans. No system is ever perfect but in my opinion there's just as much scope for a dog to pick up bacteria from shop bought raw meat, or kibble or anything they come into contact with on walks :D

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
hi my girl is on nutriment now.  I started her on the chicken formula for the first 2 weeks, now she is on the salmon.  its easy to manage just weigh the right amount and feed.  I had my worries about raw but this way it is so easy, no mess.  they have been a great company and answered all my questions, they have a facebook page where you can get info and ask questions.  hope this helps.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply, it's helpful to hear some positive comments  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!