Author Topic: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE - Trainer been, there is hope!!  (Read 12044 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: I may lose Archie....
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »

Really sorry to read this.
Can totally understand your dilemma - Honey can be prone to guarding and with 2 small children about this has to be managed very carefully.  Fortunately she gives off lots of warning signs, so we (and the children) get a clear heads up when she is in a grumpy mood - I can't imagine trying to manage it without that. 

I'm sure whatever decision you eventually make it will not be one that is made lightly - thinking of you and hope you find a solution you are all comfortable with.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
Thanks  :luv:

I know how hard you've worked with your Honey Karma so you can really understand my dilemma.  It's very difficult when he shows little or no warnings beforehand.

I am able to touch his head/ears etc so I don't think there is anything wrong there.  He is just a very stubborn, strong willed dog, I can lead him off the settee with no problem, OH gets growled at when he tries....

I'm sure having little off-lead exercise isn't helping his very hyper state, I'm hoping to work on this with the trainer, in the meantime, it's a longline....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
How are things going Lesley?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »
I'm just trying to keep him calm Irene.  I'm limiting the amount of time the girls spend around him and keep reminding them not to do anything remotely provocative which could set him off until I have commands and strategies to deal with scenarios.  Trainer has not got back to me yet with available dates, which is unfortunate as I'm keen to get going.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
Yes I can understand that, you need to get started sooner rather than later, especially with the school holidays coming up. Hopefully he will be in contact in the next day or so.

Cannot imagine how you are feeling but here are some :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
I have been reading your posts concerning Archie over the last few days.  My heart goes out to you, especially after the way you have worked with him on his toilet training.  Everything crossed a solution can be found, the prospect of losing him must be heartbreaking.  Everything crossed you will hear from the trainer in the next few days.   Sending  :bigarmhug:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
Thank you for that  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »
I too have been reading this - brings back some memories of a westie I had years ago.  Life with him was hard, lived with my parents then and Dad struggled just to open the door to people, yes he would bite, put then was scared like he new he had done wrong, we could never read the signs as to when he would turn.

The bad time started when my Dad died, he started to dominate the house, I couldn't even sit on side Mums bed in a morning to take her a drink, all this when grieving.
Anyway went to the vets and said I thought I would either have to get rid of him or worse.  She was wonderful rang a client of hers who trained german shepherds for the police, he agreed to see us, and he worked with him, the main thing was that as a family we had let him take over and he saw himself as pack leader - we had to never let him be on same level with us, so no on the beds or chairs.  It helped then when I met OH he sat on rug one day and yes he bit him. So he never did that again.  The police trainer even had time stay when we were away. 

You always had to be aware, my heart aches for you and hope there is help for you to find.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
Thanks for that Julie.

Funnily enough, the trainer I'll be seeing trains police dogs too!  :police:  He also has German Shepherds of his own.  Still not heard back from him yet, but I know he is recommended by a few vets round here so must be busy....

Offline PennyB

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
Hopefully he is cocker savvy as some who are involved with certain other larger breeds that may be easier to train may have a jaundiced view about spaniels particularly cockers
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Well, my vet said he'd just been successful in helping a family with their springer, with similar problems so fingers crossed. 

I agree with you, if you've never experienced a cocker up close and personal, you can't appreciate how complex they can be....

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
Well, my vet said he'd just been successful in helping a family with their springer, with similar problems so fingers crossed. 

I agree with you, if you've never experienced a cocker up close and personal, you can't appreciate how complex they can be....

Or how sensitive.....I think Julie's suggestion of resetting the boundaries, going back to basics and addressing the balance in your household is a good idea - Pearl is a much happier and more relaxed dog since she's been restricted to downstairs and sleeping in the kitchen.  It was initially to ensure both dogs were "on the same level" but I do think she was trying to take responsibility for the whole house which meant she was on "high alert" all the time and fractious/overtired.

Hope today has been a better day x

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Have been away, so have only just read this post. I'm so sorry to hear of your problems with Archie, after all your hard work with his toilet training! Here's hoping the behaviour can be sorted out. Wendy
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »
Hopefully he is cocker savvy as some who are involved with certain other larger breeds that may be easier to train may have a jaundiced view about spaniels particularly cockers

I agree, hopefully he will be clued up, but it still might be worth thinking about Top Barks ?

Offline clairebsc

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
Hi how old is Archie i have resource guarding possesive protective issues with my current blue roan cocker . What did smudge die of