Author Topic: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE - Trainer been, there is hope!!  (Read 12048 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE - Trainer been, there is hope!!
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
Thanks guys  :D

It's very early days but he is slowly responding to the changes  :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
Just trying to catch up on all the threads I've missed, how is he doing now?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
We've been away on holiday since the trainer visited so not much has been done yet.  Also, I tore a ligament in my foot last Monday so have been unable to resume the training plan as I'm still hobbling around.  He is being kept off the sofa/beds without problem but he is an extremely hyper dog, with little or nothing firing him up, this led to him nearly going for my daughter again (3rd time), whilst OH and I were present (OH managed to grab his collar in time).  I did say that if he done it again, I'd re-home him but hubby wants to try and sort him so reluctantly I am going to press on with the training plan.  In the meantime, I am keeping daughter (aged 11), away from Archie at all times we aren't there, which is proving very difficult and impractical to manage at times. 

I will keep you all posted when I'm able to get back at it! 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Poor you, hope you get better soon. I was wondering if an Adaptil collar might help to calm him down a bit...
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Hi, thanks  :luv:  I've already tried one, plus the spray, rescue remedy and a thundershirt......  He is a tough nut to crack unfortunately, he just reacts to every little noise by being hyper but isn't nervous with it IYSWIM?

Offline tenaille

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
Hi, we have been in a similar situation to yourself and know exactly what you are going through.  Beau started showing aggressive behaviour from around 18 months, guarding and unpredictably biting (always my oh). We are lucky in that we live in rural France and only had children around for holidays etc  and we could kennel him at those times. At around 2 yrs or so we came to the same sad point as yourself, that is last chance sort it or he has to go.  After much research on the internet we decided to try him on a 5-htp supplement, along with much stricter ground rules (not allowed on laps, beds, settee , house line at all times, etc). It took about a month for aggressive behaviours and body language to noticeably diminish and then a while longer before we felt comfortable around him, and so it continued peaceably for the next 18 months or so. He was still a bit of a guarder and reactive to noises but not a major issue.
We stopped the 5-htp recently but his behaviour markedly worsened over the weeks until he bit the oh again, so he is back on it permanently and fingers crossed he continues to behave himself, it seems to work for us.

Offline clairebsc

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
Hi
What is a htp supplement

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »
Hi
What is a htp supplement

I didn't know either, so I googled it and found several links to many features on it:

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »
If you google 5-htp for dogs you will find some background information on some limited trials that have been done. It is classed as a food additive and commonly used by people to help sleeping problems.  The tainted item mentioned years ago was a one off and not 5-htp in this form.  As I said in my post I am satisfied in my mind that it works for Beau and has enabled us to keep him with us, not perfect but manageable. I just put this out there as another thing to try, as we did,  before taking that last step.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 10:04:36 PM »
If you google 5-htp for dogs you will find some background information on some limited trials that have been done. It is classed as a food additive and commonly used by people to help sleeping problems.  The tainted item mentioned years ago was a one off and not 5-htp in this form.  As I said in my post I am satisfied in my mind that it works for Beau and has enabled us to keep him with us, not perfect but manageable. I just put this out there as another thing to try, as we did,  before taking that last step.

Hi there and apologies. I didn't put the link there to put folk off, or know there is a 5htp specific to dogs, it was just a link I saw to 5HTP, will modify my post as it is probably best if folk look for themselves  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Hey, no problem.  Archies story just prompted me to relate our experience, we were desperate and willing to try anything that was safe and gave us some hope.

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »
Is this the nutrition calm supplement? If so please be careful and talk to your vet as we had one in about a year ago around bonfire night. The tablet knocked the dog for six.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2015, 11:51:11 PM »
Sorry I only know its called 5-htp, its only constituent is 5-htp and its marketed for human use. I had read about some limited American trials with aggressive dogs and the small dosage they used, which we carefully followed. Over 18 months we have seen no other effect than the reduction in aggressive incidents.