Author Topic: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Dylan is 6 months now and very strong. He will walk to heel at home and in the obedience class, but when he is on the street or excited he pulls like a train. I decided to get a harness to avoid damaging his neck, so went to the pet shop and bought a Happy at Heel harness.

Happy at Heel harness:- quite complicated to put on, it has a ring at each side to attach the lead, which means you have to keep changing it from side to side depending on which side the dog is walking.  The chest strap was too big, and the buckle was stitched right by the D ring, so you couldn't adjust it to be any tighter. Watched videos on Youtube, they weren't awfully helpful and very often the fastening of it was obscured by the trainers arm  :dunno:. Also on the video the harness appeared to have another loop in the front to thread the lead through, rather long winded if you want to take the lead on and off whilst out. It just didn;t fit properly and there was no way it could be adjusted, so we took it back to the shop. Apparently the one with the front ring is mark two harness, ours didn't have it.
Verdict: Not impressed, it didn't fit properly, was badly designed, very complicated to work out how to put it on, and the promotional videos were badly made. It did make him walk properly, but would have been better if it fitted properly.

Ordered the Walk your dog with Love from Amazon, contacted the seller to make sure we got the right size, very helpful. This harness is very simple, it has one fitting buckle on the chest strap to adjust the length of it, the lead attaches to a strap at the front of the harness and will swing either way as the dog walks on either side, so need need to keep swapping it over.  Simplicity to fit and adjust, simplicity to put it on the dog. Excellent demo videos with clear instructions. We have walked Dylan in the street on his way to puppy class, where he normally pulls like a train to get in, in the country park, and round the lake where he pulls to get to where the ducks are being fed. No pulling whatsoever. If he forges ahead the front attachment simply turns him round to face me and stops him in his tracks with no jerks or stress at all. It also have night reflective material on it.
Verdict: this is so simple to adjust and put on and it really works. Am delighted with it. It was pricey, at £25 (post free), but so worth it to walk along with a calm dog by my side. Really recommend this if you have a long eared husky!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
Sounds good. just wondered if you could use 2 leads one either side?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
You probably could with the HAHeel harness, but it's just more to faff about with. I like things to be simple!

Lesley and Dylan

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Lesley. We bought a Halti last week but its very complcated to get it to fit properly, there are 3 places where it has to be adjusted but its hard to get it all lined up properly, especially while he's wriggling about, and as his puppy coat is still so fluffy, its hard to find the fastenings. We bought the smallesr size, but it still seems a bit big. First trip out, I was quite impressed but think now in retrospect, that Humphrey was maybe just having a good day because since then, it doesn't seem very effective at all, once he's got a scent, he's pulling as badly as ever.  I had heard good reports of the Halti and to be fair, its maybe that I just haven't got it properly adjusted, but for the time being, its going back in the cupboard. I'll have a look at the Walk your Dog with Love one.
Thanks!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »
Both of mine have walk your dog with love harnesses, and I wouldn't use anything else!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
just looked on the German Amazon - they've got one only available! What size have you for Dylan please Lesley?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »
This is the link to the page

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015FWFRR8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

This is the description
Non Pull Harness. Front Leading Stop Pull fitting dogs weighing between 25 - 65 Llb (11 - 29 kg) Girth Size 21 - 32 inches (53 - 81 cms) The WALK YOUR DOG WITH LOVE SPORTS EDITION RANGE is More robust, thicker & heavier satin-finish soft Nylon. RUBY RED

Dylan weighs almost 13 kg and is 22 inches round the chest, and I think it was about 11 round the front if IRC. I sent the measurements to Chippers to check it was the right size, they emailed back straightaway, and said They would change it if not right. Harness posted same day. Very pleased with service.

Hope this helps
Lesley and Dylan

Ps just checked the link, the harness comes up is £19.99, you have to use the drop box to get the right size inch is the 25 to 65 lb one at £25

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
super! Thankyou!
Humphrey's a bit smaller than Dylan, just over 10 Kg, but I'll do the same as you and contact them.
Have a nice evening!

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
I've been using the Walk your dog with love harness for Pebbles for the last 12 months.  Previously tried all sorts of different harnesses but, have to say, this has been and continues to be the best.  So easy to use and put on.  :D
Puppy Colour: Orange Roan
Puppy DOB: 22.04.2011
Puppy Name: Pebbles
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Sorry this is a bit late - Just wanted to say thanks to Lesley for the tip re Walk your dog with love harness! Ours finally arrived last week - Amazon Germany haven't got them yet so ordered over UK and ended up in contact witb the chap the US who manufactures them. (He told me, by the way, that once you've bought one, if you eventually need the next size, as the dog grows, you can get it for half price).
I'm really happy with it, its far easier to fit and put on and off than the halti. (Halti might be good on a bigger dog but I just couldn't get it to fit).Its doesn't stop Humphrey trying to pull, - I think only training will (maybe   ;),) stop that completely but he can't pull so hard so he's much easier to control and its certainly taken the strain off my arm and his neck! Would certainly recommend it! 👍

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
So glad it's working for you Jayne. Still working for me most of the time, he still pulls a bit when excited , such as going to puppy class when he knows where he is going, but nothing like on the collar and lead. It makes it so much easier to train to heel.  Great product.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline theoldfella

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »
Having read this thread I'm very tempted to get one of these to hopefully save my shoulder but even when he is not pulling hard Tango is generally a yard or so in front of me with his nose glued to the floor so I'm just not sure that it will help that much. Did any of you now happy users have a similar walking experience and so can convince me please?
Thanks, Kevin

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
It hasn't stopped Humphrey walking in front and he still tries to pull sometimes but it most definately takes the strain off the shoulder and arm because he can't pull so hard. After using the harness for a  couple of weeks, I had to just use the collar last week at training and I noticed the difference straight away. Its not a quick fix for good lead behaviour and we're still going to train walking to heel properly  but in certain situations when you want to get from A to B, its a big help and, I also think, its healthier for the dog. Humphrey was walking with his two front paws virtually off the ground but he doesn't do that with the harness.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:02:15 PM »
I don,t think these harnesses are magic fixes that will make your dog walk to heel. You still have to train them to do that if you want to. Dylan still goes on his collar at puppy class and does heel work, but in the street I use the WYDWL harness. He will walk alongside of me or a little ahead, but he is not pulling, which was the main concern for me. I am not bothered if he walks a bit ahead as long as we go,at the same pace and he doesn't pull. He seems more focussed on me too with the harness on. I do get him to walk to heel in the harness sometimes, and I also,use it on the extending lead with good result. I think it makes it easier to train heeling if that is your desire, so it's a win win.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Barry H

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »
Always liked the idea of a harness with a front chest strap rather than collar/lead arrangement.  Just for balance, have used the Ancol HAH harness since Jack was 12 weeks and replaced with a bigger size as he's grown. 

Personally, I can't fault it and found it very effective as an encouragement against pulling.  Still prefer to use it even though he's got much better at heel walking.  Once you figure it out it's VERY easy to put on/take off (no offence!) - just place over head and push/click the lower chest strap and you're good to go.  I use a different lead than the one supplied and don't thread the lead through both loops, just attach to the free running loop (Jack's right shoulder). 

Like all things though, I'd say it's just a matter of preference.