Author Topic: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:15 AM »
just looked on the German Amazon - they've got one only available! What size have you for Dylan please Lesley?

FYI, when Amazon say there's only one left in stock, that means they only hold one in their warehouse. But the supplier will usually dispatch direct, by-passing the warehouse so it's not an issue.

Henry walks pretty well on the lead unless he thinks he's going to the park, and then he pulls like billy-oh. At other times the problem is him diving off to the side to pick up used tissues, food wrappers etc. I'm wondering if a harness is a good idea even for a Cocker who's not the worst puller in the world. Our trainer at puppy school was very anti harnesses because he likes to teach the 'flick' method of discouraging pulling. Needless to say, the flick has no effect on Henry and I'm never sure if I'm hurting him. I've trained him to heel with constant treats when he's in the right position and an 'uh-oh' when he gets too far ahead but (crucially) before he actually pulls will get him back looking for a reward! But when he's really going for it - well, I don't need to tell you guys.

Anyway (sorry, got side tracked!) looking at the sizes I'm thinking I should get the larger size for Henry as he is already 11kg at 7 months. But he's also quite slim.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
Same as for Humphrey. Not sure about the difference between the two - it is a bit confusing as there seem to be various suppliers and they all offer different ones in different sizes and I just had to pick one that would deliver to me here. If you look on the Amazon site though, you might be able to work it out. If you a query though,they're very helpful. I just had the bog standard and its fine for what I need. It won't stop the pulling altogether, so don't expect miracles but it most definately stops them choking on tne collar and takes the pressure of your arms and shoulders, I wouldn't be without it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
I've ordered the larger one as he JUST sneaks in for both weight and girth. The more I think about his poor little neck (and my poor shoulder), the more I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. As his pulling isn't too bad, I'm okay with it not disappearing altogether.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
My brother in law who fancies himself as a bit of a doggy guru, insisted the flick method was the best, but it had no effect on Humphrey at all. Cockers have their own set of rules I reckon.   :005: Funnily enough, he'll walk to heel without the lead, so as long as he's walking "relatively"  loosely on the lead and not dislocating my shoulder joint, I've decided not to stress myself anymore insisting he be in the exact "correct" position and this harness is the best I've come up with so far.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 07:16:19 PM »
How does your harness fit under the chest?

When Millie pulls on it, the right hand strap tends to sit behind her right  shoulder and today she managed to pull her right leg out of it lunging at a squirrel. I have no idea how it came out :dunno:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »
My brother in law who fancies himself as a bit of a doggy guru, insisted the flick method was the best, but it had no effect on Humphrey at all. Cockers have their own set of rules I reckon.   :005: Funnily enough, he'll walk to heel without the lead, so as long as he's walking "relatively"  loosely on the lead and not dislocating my shoulder joint, I've decided not to stress myself anymore insisting he be in the exact "correct" position and this harness is the best I've come up with so far.

Yes, I'm learning that there are some things that just will not work with Henry, and driving myself mad trying to get him to do them is daft! My puppy trainer also owns and trains Cockers to be explosives search dogs so I hoped his methods would work. Nope. Henry DOES walk nicely most of the time, but when he doesn't that flick makes not a bit of difference.

Offline Bluepaula

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
Read all reviews and ordered one for Dixie thought what's worst can happen waste of £14 , really looking forward to it arriving
will let you know if it works here's hoping😎

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
Our harness arrived this morning. It's a little big for Henry even fully tightened but that doesn't seem to affect its effectiveness. Walked him around the house a few times. He tried to pull ahead but as soon as he did, the lead strap pressed on his right shoulder and turned him around to face me, looking mystified. So far so good.

Drove to the park. Normal routine - Henry barks and strains all the way to the area where I let him off. Today - walked calmly beside me. Blimey, I thought.

Took the whole thing off to let him run free. It's so easy to put on and take off I knew it would be eaay to get him back into it later. He proceeded to get VERY muddy and then say hello Cocker style, with his front feet, to all the children and grannys thronging the park on this lovely Bank holiday morning. So I put him back in the harness and did the second half of our walk with him walking calmly beside me, checking out other dogs and interesting things but not pulling away from me at all to go after them. Not once.

I'm slightly in shock.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
👍👍👍 Brilliant!

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
Having seen all the recommendations on this thread, I too have bought a walk your dog with love harness. Not for when I walk with Penny, as I use an extendable lead, and am very happy with it. There is nowhere near us that I can let Penny safely off the lead, and the extendable lead is the next best thing to walking free.
But I have bought the harness for my husband to use with Penny. He has recently had a knee replacement operation and he can't cope with Penny pulling on the lead at all. We tried out the new harness yesterday. Penny walked perfectly beside him with almost no pulling at all. He thinks it is brilliant and so it looks like Penny will now be able to have two walks a day -one meandering walk with me, and a disciplined walk with OH. Perfect solution!

Offline llihp

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 06:37:08 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the harness?

Offline cindere528

• Site Member

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
Looking at these harnesses though - they don't look like they have any padding - and could cut into the dog????

I'm only going by photos so perhaps someone who has one could let me know?

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
There is no padding on the one I bought but the straps are pretty wide and Millie doesn't pull enough on it for them to dig in at all.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
There is no padding on the one I bought but the straps are pretty wide and Millie doesn't pull enough on it for them to dig in at all.

Thank you.