Author Topic: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews  (Read 10142 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Walk Your Dog with Love/Happy at Heel harness reviews
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Definitely no digging in. If Henry does pull, the straps lie flat. A couple of days in and we are still lovign it. He is noticeably calmer when in the harness and I seem to remember hearing that any pulling on the neck releases adrenaline in the dog. So pulling dogs are rewarded by an adrenaline hit, and get more excited the more they pull.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
Definitely no digging in. If Henry does pull, the straps lie flat. A couple of days in and we are still lovign it. He is noticeably calmer when in the harness and I seem to remember hearing that any pulling on the neck releases adrenaline in the dog. So pulling dogs are rewarded by an adrenaline hit, and get more excited the more they pull.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »

I've never heard that but it sounds totally feasible and would explain a lot!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »
My little angel has turned into a teenager and is being very naughty. He's never chewed a thing since we had him, but has now chewed right through his WYDWL harness. We were going for a walk and put it on, got sidetracked by a phone call, and he,d chewed right through the chest strap!

I managed to butt the edges together and stitch them with lots of zigzags on the sewing machine, I thought the needle might not go through the webbing, but it was no problem, phew!

Little rascal (well, that's not quite what I said  ;) )

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
Go on their website, they will replace it free of charge. You just have to pay the postage......
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »
Sorry, shouldn't  :005: , but its so hard to cross with them for long!!!
You might mention how many of us on here have bought them on your original recommendation! I'm sure they'll be happy to replace it for you!!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
Thanks Wendall and Jayne, had forgotten that. Unfortunately I'd repaired it already, but I'll bear it in mind if he does it again. It,s the onLy thing he's ever chewed, his original toys are all intact and undamaged, he just mouths things and doesn't close his jaws.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline ips

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »
Resurrecting this thread as I am interested to know how many folk still use them to good effect and how many dogs got used to them and started pulling again ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 09:17:09 PM »
I just used a regular lead and collar and he doesn't pull. I think harnesses are pointless. I don't think it would have helped my dog. If the dogs going to pull then they will. But if it works for some dogs that's cool.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2017, 05:30:14 AM »
Grace has been using the WYDWL harness for nearly a year now - it still works for us and I wouldn't use anything else.  The only downside is if she knows the park is ahead she used to pull like crazy - now she can't do that she just barks like crazy instead!!

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
I have one for Bonnie and for us it's a good tool when we're somewhere new and she is beyond excited. I guess the mechanics of the harness mean that pulling is more easily controlled (from the front) but it's not teaching her not to pull, if that makes sense. So, I can keep a hold of my 18kg tornado without hurting myself or her.

That said, we are doing well on our walks at the moment with a long line to allow sniffing and checking of peemail, and then a run around the parks we pass through.

(anyone else have a basket full of contraptions they've tried? Harnesses, long leads, short leads, slip leads....)

Offline ips

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
Oh yes I have a box full of leads collars harness.
We are still doing well with loose lead however I am finding that its not fully proofed and she can slip back into pulling mode in certain situations. I remain consistent with my method as its proven to work for me but I may try the wydwl when on holiday in a new area and haven't the inclination to train.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
We mostly walk off lead in the woods or on the beach, and Dylan is pretty good. But for walking in a street I use the WYDWL harness. He walks perfectly on it, but put his collar lead on and he will pull, especially if he is fresh. When he's had a run he walks properly on a lead, but at the beginning of a walk he is so excited he's a nightmare, he is so strong. He'll walk to heel in a calm situation, but that doesn't often happen! The harness is brilliant for street walking for me.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline ips

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
We mostly walk off lead in the woods or on the beach, and Dylan is pretty good. But for walking in a street I use the WYDWL harness. He walks perfectly on it, but put his collar lead on and he will pull, especially if he is fresh. When he's had a run he walks properly on a lead, but at the beginning of a walk he is so excited he's a nightmare, he is so strong. He'll walk to heel in a calm situation, but that doesn't often happen! The harness is brilliant for street walking for me.

Lesley and Dylan

Just got the wydwl out of the box of tricks and had a two mile ish on road walk,. There is no doubt whatsoever that it works a treat. Its as easy to put on a slip lead (well nearly) and I think ideal for those occasions you cannot do lead training such as around town when on hols.
They are simple design but very effective. I don't like the metal ring and the clip from the lead banging about so I have cut the ring off and the clip off an old lead and attached direct.

Ps
If you get the next size up is the difference merely that you have more excess lead at the front so the ring is not right under her neck. That may be the problem

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »

Lesley and Dylan

Just got the wydwl out of the box of tricks and had a two mile ish on road walk,. There is no doubt whatsoever that it works a treat. Its as easy to put on a slip lead (well nearly) and I think ideal for those occasions you cannot do lead training such as around town when on hols.
They are simple design but very effective. I don't like the metal ring and the clip from the lead banging about so I have cut the ring off and the clip off an old lead and attached direct.

Ps
If you get the next size up is the difference merely that you have more excess lead at the front so the ring is not right under her neck. That may be the problem

I bought a bigger size initially and it's quite surprising just how much difference there is between sizes - the 18-35lb size has strapping that is 2.5cm wide whilst the next size down for 12 - 23lb is just over 1.5cm wide - the ring size where the lead attaches is also much bigger and heavier for the bigger size.  The 12 - 23lb is perfect for Grace and the smaller webbing and ring at the front is so much better - she is just over 20lb - so although the 18-35lb was correct it was just too big and bulky for her.

When you're on holiday and everything is new and exciting these harnesses are a dream!  Grace's first holiday to Cornwall was ruined as by day 2 she had worn areas of her rear pads down - she still got out and about every day, but I had to bandage her feet before every trip and put baby socks over the bandages to try and keep them in place.  She still enjoyed herself but not half as much as she did the following year when we had the benefit of the harness.