Author Topic: Tracing Millies family tree  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Tracing Millies family tree
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »
I have spent hours lately going through Millies pedigree and it has made fascinating reading. It has become somewhat of an obsession finding out about her family tree.

She has many famous lines in her pedigree including ftch Sandford Black Mamba, ftch Argyll Warrior (which explains Millies red tinge in her ears) ftch Mallowdale Gun and ftch Timsgarry Barlow (winner of the 2007 cocker championships)

Below is a picture of her grandmother, ftch Timsgarry Kelly.

And a pic of Millie for comparison.

I now know where Millies high hunting drive comes from.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Tracing Millies family tree
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:10:32 PM »
Fascinating stuff - and what a similarity between her and her grandmother! Lovely photos.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »
My girls' have Timsgarry Kelly as their maternal grandmother.
I think Nicola's champion girl Caoimhe and therefore Helen's Iago are also related through Kelly.
Millie has got some great relatives  ;)  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
My girls' have Timsgarry Kelly as their maternal grandmother.
I think Nicola's champion girl Caoimhe and therefore Helen's Iago are also related through Kelly.
Millie has got some great relatives  ;)  :luv:

Wow, that's great. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:44 PM »
Branston has Sandford Black Mamba in his pedigree and also Timsgarry Jurby , will have a look on KC site later

I find it fascinating and very time consuming

If you want to dig further and have not already done so, join My KC on the site - it's free - and you can use the 'find a dog' tool and spend hours searching pedigrees. First you have to put in breed and then name of dog which has to be precise spelling.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
Branston has Sandford Black Mamba in his pedigree and also Timsgarry Jurby , will have a look on KC site later

If you want to dig further and have not already done so, join My KC on the site - it's free - and you can use the 'find a dog' tool and spend hours searching pedigrees. First you have to put in breed and then name of dog which has to be precise spelling.

I have just been looking at the KC site. It's really good but I worry there aren't going to be enough hours in the day :lol:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »

I have just been looking at the KC site. It's really good but I worry there aren't going to be enough hours in the day :lol:

Yes definitely a rainy day activity, or for when the pooches are banjaxed - trouble is if they are,usually I am too  :011:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
The red tinge is just dead hair on the black dogs  ;)

Yes, my Jago is Timsgarry line bred - He is Timsgarry Lava -  Dad FTW Timsgarry Alpine and mum FTCH Lovelight Garnet Glow Of Rinagree (Nicola's Caiomhe is Jago's mum)

He's 18 months old tomorrow, yes he's very fast and he loves his gundog training  :lol2: :luv: and I'm very proud of my little blackness  :luv:

IMG_3200 by helen_noakes, on Flickr
helen & jarvis x

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Thanks Helen. Jago is gorgeous and I have admired him in previous photos. I didn't realise that the red came from dead hair. I had assumed it came from a red cocker in her lines.

Unfortunately I have stopped Millies gundog training as I am not particularly happy with certain training methods. Finding a trainer that practices positive methods has proved an impossible task in my neck of the woods. I am trying to train her myself with reasonable results so far.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
Henry has lots of 'rust' in his black coat, even after a good grooming. It doesn't seem like dead hair, although I've heard this before. His dad is golden, him mum black and tan. All his siblings were either one of other of those, he was the only solid black.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
dead...or sun bleached.  That's why my liver boy has blonde highlights (especially in the summer) :)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
Sun bleached would make sense as its only rusty at the ends, except that he has barely seen the sun! If that's what winter sun does to his black coat, he'll be positively platinum in the summer.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

Unfortunately I have stopped Millies gundog training as I am not particularly happy with certain training methods. Finding a trainer that practices positive methods has proved an impossible task in my neck of the woods. I am trying to train her myself with reasonable results so far.
Whereabouts are you?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »

Whereabouts are you?

Wirral/Chester area but don't mind travelling if needed. I would be looking for a reward based trainer and ideally one who uses clicker training (I know both are frowned upon by the gundog community)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:48 AM »

Whereabouts are you?

Wirral/Chester area but don't mind travelling if needed. I would be looking for a reward based trainer and ideally one who uses clicker training (I know both are frowned upon by the gundog community)
You have some very good trainers near you, but I don't think they're 'positive only' ones. Try these: http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/?page_id=1003,
they advocate 'modern, positive' type training and there's one a bit north of you - in Lancashire.  Probably about an hour away, but with gundog training you don't really need more than a lesson once a month as there are exercises that you will need to practice before going back.  Also, just because a trainer isn't 'positive only' doesn't mean you should avoid them at all costs.  the ones I've been to are pretty accommodating and won't force any particular method on anyone.  they are there to advise and help you train your dog.  Not sure who you have been to, but might be worth having a another look around before dismissing all 'conventional' trainers as unsuitable.  It would be a shame to waste Millie's natural hunting instincts over differing ideas on training methods.  I've been to a good few trainers with my cocker who works, and while some have advocated scruffing and the like, I've never had to scruff him and neither would I if told to.  he's my dog and i'll treat him as I choose.  None of the trainers has insisted I do either.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie