Author Topic: looking for a puppy, genetics help  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: looking for a puppy, genetics help
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
Just wanted you hear about my experiences. 

My first cocker, Odie had a COI of 11.9%, he was from fully health tested parents and came from a respected show breeder.  Odie died at age 3.5 years, due to complications associated with Addison's Disease, which he came down with at 1 year old (quite rare as it generally affects older, spayed females and he was a young, entire male).

My 2nd cocker, Archie had a COI of 16.8%, and again was from fully health tested parents/well known and respected breeder who only breeds when they want another pup to show.  He unfortunately exhibited extreme aggression towards my eldest daughter, from the age of 21 months, for no medical reasons whatsoever.  I later found out that his uncle had exactly the same problems and both were subsequently PTS (my Archie at age 27 months).

My current pup has a COI of 3.2%.  I deliberately sought a breeder who was not into showing and breeds for the love of cockers.  Monty was brought up within a madhouse of 5 kids and numerous cockers and is absolutely bombproof so far  :D 

My experience this 3rd time round has been so completely different (and amazing) in all aspects of puppyhood, even though some people would not have chosen to get a pup from such a breeder.  However, I liked the setup and received excellent feedback from previous owners. As long as you do your research, check for health testing and go with your gut feelings.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!