Author Topic: Apologies  (Read 6017 times)

Offline zenon_bass

Apologies
« on: June 16, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
Fao Helen Noakes!
Many apologies that you had to intervene on a Facebook page!  It was my suggestion originally that the cocker owner who had posed the question should look on COL. Then the link was removed and I commented.  Then the rather defensive exchange ensued....
I just hope the owner does join COL after all! Personally I'm very grateful to COL, its been invaluable when I've been concerned about my dog.
Thank you!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Apologies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
And to think we only try to help others with this available great knowledge
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »
aahhh no problem and no need to apologise...and thank you for your support!   ;)  :D

It was when they claimed that Cockers on Line was "imature" (amateur) that I saw red  :shades:

To be honest I thought it really showed them in a bad light and haven't gone back on that page since I commented - I'm aware there are plenty of posts since, and probably none are very nice  ;)

I truly believe that over the years we have as a forum provided a wealth of breed specific knowledge and helped countless owners  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
I've just popped a comment on there to say the COL often recommends their page. Just so they know! The thing I have noticed about that page is that while the advice given is very good, the admins are extremely prickly and are often abrupt to the point of being rude. So we probably shouldn't take it TOO personally.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:27:46 AM »
You've intrigued me now! ;)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
I truly believe that over the years we have as a forum provided a wealth of breed specific knowledge and helped countless owners  :D
^ this.. it's true for sure. I know it's true for me anyway and
I thank all the Col team and contributers for it!
8HF x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
The thing is, their policy of not allowing links to their sites they haven't checked themselves is very sensible. If they had just done it politely, pointing out it's their policy, no exceptions, without casting aspersions on COL, none of the would be necessary.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:48:27 AM »
Well I have never joined twitter or facebook, sometimes I feel maybe I miss out as I think many go there first :shades:

But I find COL informative and in the main a friendly site, have occasionally thought a response by some is too harsh, but I know I need a tougher shell.

In the early days it seemed to have an array on breeders and more show updates etc, but now it has a mix of one strong thread that unites us all, simply our love of cockers, I will support it with my time and if needed would gladly do more if asked.

As for Helen - bravo

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »
The thing is, their policy of not allowing links to their sites they haven't checked themselves is very sensible. If they had just done it politely, pointing out it's their policy, no exceptions, without casting aspersions on COL, none of the would be necessary.

I agree that if they had handled it politely then I wouldn't have reacted.  The information I quoted on there was actually from a post on COL from 2007.  I doubt whether ANY of these saintly behaviourists existed then  :shades: 
helen & jarvis x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
As for Helen - bravo

Well said   :clapping: :clapping:

I feel very passionate about COL, over many years I have had so much invaluable, support, help and advice from knowledgeable and caring people and that wealth of experience has on occasion gone beyond cockers and helped me out in other areas of life.   Yes occasionally there are disagreements like in any group of people but I think newbies to COL sometimes seem to take a while to recognise that we are a supportive forum and don't try to outdo each other or pull others down if ideas differ, as well as learn to respect for opinions and knowledge of long-time cocker owners  ;) 

From what I understand not all forums or Facebook sites seem to have the same ethos as we have on here of promoting positive and kind training methods and of speaking to other forum members with politeness and tolerance, that's why I will be sticking with COL  :luv:

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
I am fairly new on here but I have found the posts friendly, very informative and helpful and sometimes very funny( intentionally so)  as a first time dog owner invaluable, I cannot thank everyone enough for getting Rosie and I to 71/2 months with Her still alive and me not an alcholoic.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
I am fairly new on here but I have found the posts friendly, very informative and helpful and sometimes very funny( intentionally so)  as a first time dog owner invaluable, I cannot thank everyone enough for getting Rosie and I to 71/2 months with Her still alive and me not an alcholoic.

Oh the joys of a 7 1/2 month old cocker - I'd be on an intravenous supply of vino :rofl1:

Julie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »

:005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »
You've intrigued me now! ;)

On a behavioural page there was a thread about SA in a cocker spaniel.  Julie suggested (and someone else?) that they look on COL for some advice and the admins basically removed the link and slated the site (even though they have not looked at it). 

There was one comment about not understanding why people would seek help from Amateurs and not experts (implying COL was a source of bad information) and I'm afraid I reacted to that one.   I can see (as Londongirl says) why they would blanket block sites that they have no knowledge of but to imply it is because it is a bad source of information because it's not them in the way they did was patronising and rude.

The irony is we would have suggested the same things and even to look at THEIR FB page  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
The old timers might be catching up with me.....but who's book on cocker spaniels is the most notable - am sure it is someone called Jane :shades:.....any answers..... :005:

Julie