Author Topic: Advice, please! Holiday insurance against Millie illness?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline zenon_bass

Advice, please! Holiday insurance against Millie illness?
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
Help and advice please..!
For the first time, i'm seriously considering taking out insurance against having to leave an already booked holiday next April. Its the one holiday that sets me up for the rest of the year.
As you may know, Millie's health hasn't been brilliant recently and at 15++yrs that will be the occasion she is ill again, though obviously we hope not...  (I have in mind for her to be cared for at home 24/7 in familiar territory.)
The insurance would be to cover the cost/loss of the holiday and also the cost of vet treatment needed at the time..
Can anyone recommend an insurance company, please, or point me in the right direction?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Advice, please! Holiday insurance against Millie illness?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
Do you already have pet insurance? It's sometimes included on there.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »
I doubt that you will get covered but I might be wrong.  Might just be worth before you go, getting a 0% credit card "just in case" to cover any vets bills.  You might just have to lose the cost of the holiday.

My pet insurance covers this, but at 15+ I presume you will no longer have full / any cover?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
  www.eandl.co.uk/

I have never used them but a lady in vets last year mentioned them to me as dealing with older dogs, and cover for dog travel with her dog to Europe- while understand that is not what your after, they may be able to give you name of a company.

My other thought was an independents insurance broker in your area.  Worth a call to see if they can advise.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
The other problem might be in when you booked the holiday. Most travel insurance has to be bought within a very short period (days, not seems) of booking.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
The other problem might be in when you booked the holiday. Most travel insurance has to be bought within a very short period (days, not seems) of booking.

And previous medical history of your dog

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »
Thank you everyone...
No I haven't any insurance for Millie any longer. About two years ago the premium was increased so much that I decided to save the money in a special account, and that has just about paid for her hospital stays..
I'll investigate eandl.co.uk and look for an independent broker tomorrow: rather think I'm on the losing team on this, as Millie has had two bouts of pancreatitis, is arthritic, deaf and almost blind! Amazing how she gets round our house though!

Any other ideas welcome!