Author Topic: Evil migraine  (Read 1269 times)

Offline migraine head

Evil migraine
« on: November 02, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
Amtripline (think it's spelt wrong)
I'm on 5mg & im finding it ain't helping & I had a The Mother of all migraines yesterday that basically took me out the whole of yesterday & I had be in a dark room with everything off because it hurt so bad anyways can any one help in a good suggestions of good pillows thank you I'm in the Uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ambler54

Re: Evil migraine
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
Hi,
When I had a migraine I used to like a cold flannel on my forehead, am not sure if these would work but a friend has a pillow that stays cool, really for hot flushes and loves it. I think the cold opens the blood vessels, mind you that could be the otherway round.....
My migraines were monthly, vitamin B6 ,in a B complex tablet as you have to have a couple of others for it to work, didnt stop them all together but definately made a difference.But I know there are all sorts of triggers, must be one of the few women greatful for the Menapause, hot flushes worth every minute for no more migraines.

Offline migraine head

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks
I wouldn't mind something else then this migraine :( I rather have hot flashes then this it's just so painful.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
You have my sympathy. Amitriptiline made me feel so spaced out and rubbish I had to stop taking it. I was given it for migraines but it didn't make any difference. I've yet to find anything that really helps. Just cold compress and dark room. Fortunately I don't get them often. One thing I have been recently looking into is cluster headaches - often wrongly diagnosed as migraines. They are also called suicide headaches because the pain is THAT bad. They last for many days, even weeks or months and NO drug can help. My headaches literally make me want to scrape my left eye out, the pain is so intense behind it. Apparently there is a test for these kind of headaches but finding a sympathetic GP to investigate is tricky. I'm getting together some info to take along to my GP. Do a bit of googling and see if this might be what you are experiencing.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cluster-headaches/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
I used to be prescribed Syndol ( now available over the counter) Two would knock you out if you could keep them down long enough. They also could " space" you out especially when taken on an empty stomach.
 The thing With migraines  is that, only another sufferer knows what they are like. I  had many  battles with my OH with his " its only a headache" routine. But he learnt to leave me alone and keep the light out and feed me Mars bars as I recovered.I Do not like them but used to crave them when my head stopped hurting and I could sit up
I no longer suffer thank goodness. They say you grow out of them as you get older, I suffered from 14 to 40 but am free now  :banana:
You're always there when I need you. Devoted, loving and true.
No one could wish for anything more, Than a faithful friend like you
                            ----
Lorna & Gemma WCS

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »
Mine have been 15 years but have got more severe over the last 2 yeas (think I'm at that age...45 so menapause is possible). I've tried most things but nothing has helped. Every food / trigger / tablet I try seems to work for a few weeks then they come back with a vengeance so I don't try new things now. I have anywhere between 4 and 24 attacks per month; some are so bad they wipe me out for 4 days at a time, others are manageable with painkillers and anti nausea tablets and I can make it through the day  >:D >:D

I've tried feather pillows, hollow fibre, memory foam but to be honest none of them help when I'm having a severe attack. I can't even put my head down as it hurts for anything to touch it, even a cold flannel. I'd say whichever pillow makes you comfortable when you've not got a migraine is the one to stick with because when you have an attack the pillow won't make much difference unfortunately.

They really are the worst thing to live with because, as Min says, no one understands unless they also suffer. I recently had about 3 months of over 22 days each month with severe attacks and I can honestly say I felt that life would not be worth living if they carried on much longer. The pain is horrendous.

Sorry I'm not much help here, just sharing my experience so you know that there are a few of us on here who do understand what you are going through. I really hope it's cleared up now and you get many pain free days xxx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
Definitely sending sympathy from me, they are just so debilitating.
I take 75mg of amitriptyline as a preventer and immigran when I get a migraine, and until recently have found these do the trick, but recently due to changes in other meds I seem to be getting more. My GP says there are new medications now so I am planning to go and find out more .

Hope you manage to get something to help

Offline migraine head

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:40:46 PM »
:( its evil I had one yesterday & another one today

Offline migraine head

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »
I had one during the night I don't know when it's gonna stop I haven't had a decent proper sleep :(

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
I had one during the night I don't know when it's gonna stop I haven't had a decent proper sleep :(

To be honest, I think you should be talking to your GP about this.  Not sure how much help a spaniel forum can be if you are having such persistent migraines :dunno:

I hope you can get something sorted  ;)
Julie and Cocobean Sugarpuff :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
I guess also its seeing what sort of regimen others are on too to see if you can ask your doc - I know others who are put on more specific anti-migraine meds other than amitryptaline. I usually only get a lot of auras - horrid none the less

Mind you if you're having so many per month that aren't being relieved by other meds some find botox injections help - yes free botox on the NHS ;) not sure what the criteria are for this though
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!