Author Topic: Advice on caring for warts  (Read 3195 times)

Offline howells

• Site Member
Advice on caring for warts
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
Barnaby who turned 13 in November has had fatty lumps and warts for a few years now. All been vet checked but now a couple on his ears have grown pretty big.  He has scratched them and bleeding has become a problem. He went to the vet on Saturday and was prescribed antibiotic/steroid cream and the cone of shame! The cone came off today and guess what... More rubbing and the bleeding is back.  I've read lots of posts about warts but need advice on the best ongoing treatment to try and control the redness and bleeding. Sudocreme or is there another magic ointment. Any help gratefully received.

Offline howells

• Site Member
Re: Advice on caring for warts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »
Just noticed a few people suggested Sudofed. I thought this was a decongestant. Is there an ointment version? I'm confused. Help!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
I am sure they mean Sudocreme - like you say, Sudafed is a decongestant!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Skygazer

• Site Member
  • No empty yoghurt pot must go unlicked
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Hello,

My dog had the same problem... the only solution I found was to let her fur grow long enough so she couldn't lick or rub them as easily. Nothing else worked. She was an obstinate old lady... she wore the cone every night for 2 years so she couldn't lick them, then she got too old to bother... made an awful noise banging against the wall every night, but there was nothing else we could do. Good luck!
Slave to Sam

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Will battle on and see if we can get it under control without the cone of shame. Luckily he sleeps most of the day and night so fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
Long shot but i wonder if
wearing a snood would help or
if it would just get pulled off :huh:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
Rosie has loads of warts. Some have been removed, where infection could be a problem, such as on her feet and lower legs, but others have been left.

I just bathe them with hibiscrub if she bites or catches them and then put a blob of antiseptic cream on. I use Lanes witch hazel and tea tree cream. I don't think it tastes very nice as she doesn't lick it!

Quite often I knock the top off when brushing her.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline sue15

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:21 PM »
I think the secret is just to stop infection, I found once they had dried up they were not a problem

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 01:38:22 AM »
hibiscrub here too - Wilf used to have one on the top of his head that never really healed up properly as he kept knocking it and we did discuss removing it but didn't in the end
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
We had two removed from Einstein yesterday, he was going in for a dental (9 teeth removed - little ones at the front) so it made sense to do it aswell.  He is now also wearing the dreaded cone of shame.

He has loads of them over his body now (he is 12.5yrs old) but these two were always bleeding and getting knocked. Just a case of keeping them clean with hibiscrub in the past.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007