Author Topic: Proud of Gemma and me  (Read 2594 times)

Online MIN

• GEMMA
Proud of Gemma and me
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Yesterday OH was unwell and unable to go beating. I have to book time off work if I want to go so I was determined  to go on my own  :fear2:. We have been going for a few years and I have been the only female( and over 50 years old to boot) on the shoot so it took a  bit of courage
 We take Gemma, but usually she is under OH's control. After much discussion  I decided to take her with me, it was my chance to see if I could handle her in the field. I could always come home if it turned out to be a disaster ph34r
Well, we were a dream team  :luv: She answered my whistle and voice commands and quartered not too far in front. She pulls on the lead when we are out working ( does not during normal walks) so I had to have her off lead while walking across the ploughings but she stayed close ish as asked.
I think OH was expecting me home at dinner time but we turned up at 4pm, muddy, cold and kn******* but happy. :luv:

knew there was down side ( just remembered)  One one drive I forgot that the drain could be crossed by a bridge so when I came across a part that was blocked by reeds I thought " this is a good place to cross". Well it was until I had to clamber up the other bank, stuck my hand on a nest of nettles.  Have never known nettle stings to hurt some much, been over 24 hours now and my hand still tingles. If I did not know it was nettles I would have convinced myself it was a snake bite especially as the mark is not the normal nettle rash
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Proud of Gemma and me
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »
Well done both!!!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »
Well done , a days beating does tend to leave you cream crackered wish I could do a day. Give Gemma a big cuddle from me, what a little star
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »
Sounds like the perfect day out, except the nettles.  :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
Good for you and Gemma, shame about the nettles though.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
Sounds like a great day out - no feeling like clambering out of a ditch and still controlling your dog!

well done Gemma and you  :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Well done the pair off you! Although (if asked) I guess Gemma would say what a responsibility it was having to work and look after Mum!  :005: :005: :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
I know this is late but well done you must be very proud of both of you, great job.
My wife joins me a few times a year and on one shoot the keeper press ganged me into being a walking gun so I told Lynn to take her through. She kept coming to the fence on the edge of the wood they were beating just to check were I was (the dog, not the wife) but she did work well and they didn't ruin anything. Wife was made up as it was first time she had worked her. Maybe you and I need to get another dog each. :)
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.